Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now I understand why everyone raves about Munstead Wood!

Posted by jjstatz29 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:51

Below is a first year own-root bare-root Munstead Wood I received from DA - Ok, now I get why everyone is raving about it. The fragrance, the performance, the ridiculous amount of blooms for only its first year. Oooof - What a spectacular thing.

If you don't have this one... Get it!

photo 20140621_134029_zpstpg9qlal.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now I understand why everyone raves about Munstead Wood!

I don't have to explain why MW is my favorite rose? LOL

I'm glad your new one is doing so well.

Kate

o

I was on the fence regarding MW for months but now am beginning to think that it could be a "must have" for my garden.

It is beautiful!

Lynn

o

• Posted by zjw727 Coastal Oregon Zone (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 21:15

I have a friend who grows it, next to Sombreuil- lovely combination.

o

I bought two the same year three years ago, one own root and one grafted. The own root by Austin is a little larger than the grafted. Both are in a barrel and bloom at the top their game. One of the few Austin's I have kept out front instead of the grave yard. Most Austin's have a better PR write up than true production stats. Mustead is a great producer of blooms and no disease.

o

I never bought a 2nd of any rose before till I saw this at the Botanical Garden & got a whiff of it. I now have 2 own root great form & fragrance and didn't burn up the way The Prince does!

o

Beautiful! How's the black spot resistance with this rose?

o

No BS problems on mine, to speak of. I think toward the end of the season last year it had 3 or 4 leaves with a couple spots on each, but that was it.

I think MW is going to be one of the great Austins. It has just about everything going for it.

I've shown this pic before, but can't resist doing it again. (I should start taking some new pics this year.)

Munstead Wood--year one in the garden.

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here