Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

Gloves with good support

I guess I feel this is on topic since gloves are necessary for me, and perhaps everyone.

The glove brand that I have worn for many years no longer fit.I do not understand why since my hands are no larger than they have been, but the fit is bad. I do not want to mention the brand, but it is popular, and you need to measure your hand before ordering.

Do any of you have good gloves to recommend? I do not want the long rose gloves, and I do not want those specifically for thorns (so stiff that you cannot weed well). I want good durable gloves that are good for a rose garden, and basically keep the thorns from piercing your hand.

Do any of you have suggestions?

Thanks,
Sammy

Comments (11)

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I just bought a pair of weeding gloves from gardengirlusa. Their garden gear is aimed at women. My gloves have a vintage rose pattern.

I'm going to order a trowel (smaller feminine hand) next.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mauvegirl, I just looked up the site and love the look of the gloves and clothing.

Sammy

• buford
    9 years ago

I love the Bionic gloves. They are great if you have arthritis or joint issues.

• cath41
    9 years ago

I prefer goatskin gloves as they are tougher (not stiffer) than the sheepskin gloves which are usually sold. The problem is that where I got my last pair, Gardener's Supply, is no longer selling them. If you can find them, go for 'em and tell me where you got them.

Cath

• happyret65
    9 years ago

Bee gloves are goat.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Buford, those are the ones I have been wearing. However, these three that I just ordered do not fit. It is a terrible disappointment, and once I return them, I do not want to wait for another set. I use the yellow ones instead of the specific rose ones since their fit seemed to be better.

Cath and Happy I will look for goatskin gloves. I thought maybe a new type of glove had been created that was popular. At this point I will first try a couple of our nurseries here, then go back online. The gardengirlusa is very tempting.

Sammy

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

I am extremely pleased with the West County Gardener gloves made of a synthetic fabric. I can take a firm grasp of a very prickly rose and not get stabbed. I usually blow through all the finger tips of a pair of gloves in one week or less, but these have lasted for nearly a year and are still in good shape. Also washable. These are the only gloves that have held up for me. I am very rough on gloves.

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Hoov, which are the ones you like? TIA

• tuderte
    9 years ago

Hi Sammy, maybe you don't have a problem with arthritis, however if you do, I would really recommend the Bear Wallow gloves. I have both their 'Perfect Gardener' and their 'Protector - Basics' rose pruning gauntlets. Both are goatskin but the Protector gauntlets have a split cowhide 'sleeve' that extends beyond my elbows so they're ideal for pruning all sorts of roses. The seams are on the outside of the gloves so they're extremely comfortable to wear, too.

Cheers
    Tricia

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

I always had the goatskin gloves and loved them, but then I got into wearing rose gauntlets (I'm so accident-prone), so I don't currently have any. However, the place where I bought them is called Womanswork (www.womanswork.com), and I still get a catalog from them (and use it). I believe their goatskin gloves are now being made by a different company, and since I haven't gotten a pair lately, I can't vouch for the new version, but they look very much the same (different color), and they are made in the USA. They have a number of other gloves, as well as a variety of gardening items, and I have always had a good experience with them.
    Laura

• kingcobbtx7b
    9 years ago

If you aren't looking for gauntlets but just regular sized gloves for working in the garden, I have always had great success just going by Ace Hardware and picking up some Stihl work gloves.