Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Favorite Striped/ Freckled/ Stippled/ Striated Roses

Vicissitudezz
9 years ago

Which striped roses do you grow or wish you could grow? I don't grow any (yet), but I'm a sucker for almost all the old striped roses. Just hearing the word 'panach�e' makes me swoon a bit.

I'd love to see your photos, if you have 'em...

Also, if you have any recommendations for old or old-looking striped roses that might do well in my hot and muggy area of the Southeast, I'm all ears... 'Mme Driout'? 'Vick's Caprice'? 'Variegata di Bologna'? 'Ferdinand Pichard'? I know those gorgeous Gallicas are off-limits here, alas!

Thanks,
Virginia

This post was edited by vmr423 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 16:57

Comments (38)

• sidos_house
    9 years ago

Hi, Virginia. I love old striped roses too and look forward to seeing what others suggest. I have all the roses you listed, added to my garden either last year or this year. You might add Rainbow to your list. I bought one this year from Roses Unlimited. If you have a big corner to be filled, there is Honorine de Brabant.

I am in zone 7b and Gallicas do extremely well for me. 8b is a different story, I know, but if I were in your shoes and hadn't tried them yet, I would try one or two just to be sure that I couldn't grow them.

Here is a picture of my Georges Vibert. (From Vintage Gardens. It looks a bit different from some of the other Georges Viberts on HMF.)

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

Virginia,
    I just grow two, both gallicas, but would like to have the Portland, Panachee de Lyon sometime. I grew Smith's Parish once upon a time and enjoyed the variability. There's a Red Smith's Parish that looks interesting, too. One of these days I'm going to get Ralph Moore's Stars 'n Stripes.

Sidos, does your GV have a button eye before the stamens develop? This is the first time mine will have bloomed, so I am not sure what to expect. You can see it's not quite opened yet, either.

Georges Vibert

{{gwi:282725}}

Rosa Mundi

{{gwi:282726}}

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. Just- wow.

So beautiful, and I am sorely tempted by the prospect of Gallicas... Even though I know that there are zone-8 Gallica growers in the PNW, it hadn't occurred to me that our warm winters would supply enough chill hours. Perhaps there are some varieties/hybrids that might work?

Howsomever, I'm just getting started with roses, and really would like to have some small successes before I start in with anything chancy. If I had more money and more rose-growing experience, I might try it, but for now, I'll just love from afar...

I tried ordering 'Rainbow' from RU when they had their sale, but they were already sold out. The roses I did order (3 Teas and a Noisette) are the first roses I've ever ordered, so you see that I am a genuine newcomer to roses.

Thanks for sharing your Georges Vibert- what a handsome rose he is!

Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

harborrose, those are exquisite.

I had not heard of 'Panachée de Lyon' before, but I took a quick look at the HMF photos, and can see why it's on your wish list. I have no idea if Portlands are heat-tolerant enough for my area, but I can add it to my wish list, too, even if I never add it to an actual shopping list.

I've admired Smith's Parish before, but hadn't twigged that it was a "Bermuda Rose" until I just looked it up again. Bermuda is almost due west of here, and I think their growing conditions are quite similar to ours. Both are nice-looking roses with those splashes of color- I wouldn't say no to either of 'em.

I do like 'Stars'n'Stripes' also. There's also a sasanqua camellia by that name with stripey flowers that I've had my eye on for a while... they look a bit alike.

Thanks for sharing your 'GV' and 'RM'- they really are beautiful.

Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: Stars'n'Stripes sasanqua photo

• User
    9 years ago

Vriegata di Bologna
    {{gwi:277356}}

Commandante Beaurepaire

{{gwi:282728}}

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

If you're not ruling out more modern roses, Careless Love (& all the other Radiance clan) did very well for me on the muggy Tx gulf coast.

Mme. Driout, too, though I've read a lot of criticism of it here re. disease. (I didn't do any fungicide/pesticide spraying).

And Fourth of July was a vigorous, healthy, free blooming rose there also.

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

labrea, those are two roses I would really like to be able to grow. I think 'VdB' is sometimes grown in the Southeast, but I'm not sure about the Commandant.

I love the way those photos complement each other, and I also really enjoyed the photos you posted from the NYBG and the BBG- very nice indeed!

Thanks,
    Virginia

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

Harborrose, I really, really love your Georges Vibert! That speaks to me - there's something just enchanting about it. I see you have found a life beyond Teas...
    Laura

• harborrose_pnw
    9 years ago

hi, Laura,
    So nice to talk to you! I wanted to tell you I sent 'Betty' down to Kippy in Santa Barbara; I think it finally bloomed down there for her.
    I do love gallicas and some of the other old garden roses that like it up here. The teas are surely special, though.

I hope you're doing well! Gean

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I have four -- 'Georges Vibert' and 'Tricolore de Flandre' (both Gallicas from Vintage Gardens), 'Honorine de Brabant' (Bourbon from Long Ago Roses) and 'Ferdinand Pichard' (Hybrid Perpetual, also from Long Ago Roses).

I don't have many pics, and what I do have aren't the best. The way the weather came in this season, the Gallicas were among the last to start blooming -- then came a few really hot days, and they were done in a couple weeks.

One bloom on 'Georges Vibert' that was rather pale, and on the small side, but still very fragrant.

{{gwi:264559}}

First bloom on 'Honorine de Brabant'.

{{gwi:264510}}

And a week later, a bunch more on 'Honorine de Brabant' opened.

{{gwi:264561}}

I seem to have forgotten to take pics of 'Tricolore de Flandre' (which might already be done by now) and 'Ferdinand Pichard' (I'll have to wait for the next round -- this rose is still tiny, and I saw only three so far this year).

:-)

~Christopher

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bluegirl, I like all the roses you mentioned, although 'Careless Love' is the only rose I think I've heard of from the Radiance Clan? I'll have to look into those roses, if they are as easy to grow as reputed.

If you're on the Gulf Coast, and 'Mme Driout' did fine for you with no spraying, that's encouraging. No rose can thrive everywhere, but your climate is fairly similar to ours, so that's something to go on... I like the photos I've seen, but suspect she's even prettier 'in person'.

Thanks for the suggestions,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Christopher, you must be a mind-reader. I've been wondering about what 'Honorine' really looks like since most photos I've seen just show that cup-shaped emerging bloom. Nice, but I'm glad to see what her flowers look like opened up, and also to see what the plant itself looks like, even though she's still young,

I like all of the roses you mentioned, and am not just envious of your Gallicas, but of your garden planning abilities. Looking at your garden-in-progress photos ought to be inspiring (and it is), but I completely lack that talent for seeing where things should go that you obviously have in spades.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to transform our yard into a garden, but maybe I can eventually be the neighborhood's 'Crazy Plant Lady' that everyone kinda laughs at, but wants to get plants from? I could have worse goals in life, I suppose...

Thanks for the pix,
    Virginia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

They're all absolutely enchanting. I don't have a single one but what a pleasure to see so many here.

Ingrid

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Virginia, I grow Camaieaux and Rosa Mundi, but I used to grow a modern floribunda called Purple Tiger. It grew really well in my last (no spray) garden. Maybe it would perform well in yours, too?

I am currently casing Labrea's garden and planning a break-in and relocation of Commandante Beaurepaire and Variegata di Bologna to my garden. Just kidding...sort of.

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 2:43

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I ordered Rainbow from RVR. She had a bud before I left for the weekend and hope I did not miss it. I will check today.

Gean, Betty is slowly gaining some growth, but slowly is the word. She put up one nice little cane and is starting on some more leaves. I put her near Rainbow, guess we will see just how that color combo comes out. But it will probably be a couple of years before Betty has enough to let bloom.

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, I love the looks of both 'Camaieaux' and 'Rosa Mundi'. I'm glad you can grow them even if I can't.

I've seen photos of 'Purple Tiger' and I like it, but if it might be finicky, it's not for me. I only have a few sunny spots for roses and limited funds, so I need to not only love whatever I plant, but I also need to feel that its odds of survival here are pretty good.

I've learned (from reading detective novels, of course) that it's usually not a good idea to advertise your criminal intentions in a public forum. What always seems to happen is that someone who hears of your intentions (someone like me, for example) will decide that they can get to the roses before you can, remove them and let you take the blame... And somehow they'll be able to arrange the theft for a time you haven't got much of an alibi.

I've been told that 'VdB' probably won't do well in my area, and I am dubious that the 'Commandant' would cooperate either, so I think you should obtain both of them through legitimate means, and post photos- or at least progress reports- so that I can enjoy them vicariously... It's all about me!

Thanks,
    Virginia

PS Please forgive any typo's- my keyboard is giving up the ghost...

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Variagata di Bologna resides in a 5 gallon pot in my yard. I believe it is finally beginning to create a bud because I moved it to a sunnier side of my yard. It is my only striped etc. rose. It has been a slow grower, with no blooms thus far, so I am really excited to see what appears. I have often wondered if I should have purchased Honorine de Brabant instead of it.

My favorite, is Commandant Beaurepaire.

Lynn

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In my last post, I asked to be excused for any typo's since my keyboard was dying- now I'd like to be excused as I get accustomed to my new keyboard. ;>)

Sidos-House, thanks for giving me a better idea of what 'Honorine' looks like as a growing plant, not just as a pretty flower or as a lovely youngster. At first I wrote 'as a grown plant', then remembered you just planted her last year- she sure looks happy and well-cared-for!

I like the looks of her more than I did before you and Christopher shared your photos. Of course, I figured she must have more going for her than just a pretty face or she wouldn't be such a popular ol' gal.

And I appreciate your kind suppositions about my gardening abilities, but I am fairly new to this 'yarden', and even newer to gardening in any sort of serious way. I have many, many plants in pots about the yard, and am gradually getting some of the larger plants into the ground, but probably not where someone with a clue about garden design would put them!

Since I am on a budget, most of my plants are rescues, or grown from seed, or gifts from my gardening mentor who has quite a few 'extra' plants to share with me.

So, I'm making some progress with learning about how to grow plants, and which plants are happy here, but I'm not sure if I'll ever develop an eye for garden design. I'm sorta hoping that if I get enough nice plants scattered about that it will look more and more like a garden than just a yard with lots of trees.

Geez- I get a new keyboard, and I write a novel. And not a very exciting one, either...

Thanks again,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, if it isn't too much trouble, I'd love to see a photo of your 'Rainbow'.

I have a feeling that there may be a 'Rainbow' in my future- not too many striped roses are heat-tolerant, it seems...

Thanks,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, I hope that 'Variegata' will take off for you now that it's in a sunny spot. I do think it's such a beautiful rose, and I hear that it has a great fragrance. If you get a photo of its first bloom, I hope you'll share.

I love 'Commandant B' also, but am guessing he's not heat-tolerant or needs chill hours or something prohibitive. I'll just have to admire him from a distance...

Thanks,
    Virginia

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I am with you at admiring Commandant B. from a place other than one's garden . It is on my list of "if I find myself gardening in a different climate"...

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 1:07

• nastarana
    9 years ago

vmr423, There a number of striped HTs around which us cold zoners really can't grow. Most are sports of other HTs.

Some are 'Careless Love' of the 'Radiance' clan.

'Candy Stripe', sport of the excellent 'Pink Peace'.

"Modern Times', sport of 'Better Times'.

Then there are also the fabulous "Red Intuition" and its' sport, 'Pink Intuition'. And, I believe the much lusted after 'Stranger' has now been picked up by one of the nurseries which supply plants for gardeners who like to exhibit.. Sam Kedem, maybe.

My favorite striped rose is Ralph Moore's 'Shadow Dancer'.

'Charlotte Armstrong' produced a striped sport, I think it might be called 'Banner'.

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynn, I love the name of your list- it sounds like you're prepared for any eventuality!

• cath41
    9 years ago

Is the striping on some of these striped roses due to virus like the Rembrandt tulips. And if so, which roses are so affected/afflicted?

Cath

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

There was that idea for a long time, and some Gallicas lost stripes after heat treatment, but the stripes on some others remained. Because the purported "striping virus" couldn't be transmitted to unstriped roses via grafting, its existence is debated. And another possible explanation exists for why some lost their stripes after heat treatment.

So while it MAY be the case for some, it's not the case for all. I read this as a sort of footnote to an article mentioning striped roses, but I can't remember offhand where I found it. It could be an "incomplete sport" to a lighter or darker color, as is probably the case with many. On the other hand, most of those which were "striped from birth" descend from 'Ferdinand Pichard' which was one of the few capable of transmitting this pattern via sexual reproduction.

:-)

~Christopher

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 1:08

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, nastarana for the info on striped HT's. I like a lot of HT's, but am not very knowledgeable about which ones might do well here, and which ones won't.

A relative who grows HT's says they pretty much all get BS in her NC garden even though she sprays. So I have this idea in my head that HT's in the Southeast get BS, and don't know how true that is, or even how much it would matter if it were true since a few blemished leaves wouldn't bother me. Complete defoliation would bother me, though...

So, for now, I'm putting off the question of HT's until I can look around me to see which of the ones I like actually do well here.

I do like the looks of the ones you mentioned, but I think I need to learn more about this class of roses before I commit to trying any of them.

Thanks again,
    Virginia

PS All bets would be off if I could get ahold of the HT 'Adam Raffles', a striped sport of 'Mme Caroline Testout', but I don't think it's available in the U.S.

• cath41
    9 years ago

Thank you so much, Christopher. I have wondered about this a long time and you have given an intriguing answer.

Cath

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

Gean and Kippy: I'm so glad to hear how things have gone for 'Betty'! I totally approve of her move to a warmer climate - just as my own 'Betty' had to be given away to someone who had a good place for her. I hated watching her (and the other two) decline slowly - it was as if I were torturing them.
    Gean, I looked for you at Open Garden this year, although I know that you and your family were on a special trip to various places that time. It's good to hear from you!
    Kippy, you are a good person to take care of 'Betty' and to post about her.
    To everyone else: Please forgive me for hijacking this thread!
    Laura

• jannorcal
    9 years ago

We have a Rainbow collected from a gold country estate. It is beautiful in the spring, when the weather is cooler and the stripes are more dramatic. As it warms up the striping is less evident.
    Kim has a plant of this clone, he can let you know how it does for him in the LA area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow on HMF

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

I currently grow 1 stripey and 1 splotchy...both are gallicas.

Camaïeux (a shorter-growing though heavily suckering plant...not sure if she'd like a pot, but potted or grafted this might be a great choice for a space-challenged gardener who has few gallica options)

{{gwi:282729}}

{{gwi:282731}}

Ville de Toulouse (a lot of the HMF photos also show light splotching, if this one isn't as familiar)

{{gwi:282732}}

I used to grow Honorine de Brabant...adored her scent but didn't like the growth habit of my plant :*(

{{gwi:282733}}

And Rosa Mundi was a bit of a mildew-magnet in the shade I had her in, so she's now gone too...

{{gwi:282734}}

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Gallicas, Bourbons, and the like do not prosper here, but I do like this found rose, which may be the old Tea Rose, 'Rainbow.' (Seivers, U.S., 1889)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rainbow, at HMF

This post was edited by jerijen on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 14:45

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, it won't let me add the picture to the message ... so here it is.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Ack....some little bug has been messing with all the buds on the roses in the veggie garden area and my rainbow bud was not going to open. There is a second bud so I am going to leave it and hope the bugs vanish

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jannorcal, thanks for the info on 'Rainbow'. I'm glad she's doing well for you- and I can certainly relate- I feel more vivid in the Spring and Fall also...

When you say collected, do you mean you moved the whole plant, or that you collected a cutting? If the latter, how long did it take for the plant to get established in your garden?

Thanks again,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Anika, I love those photos.

'Ville de Toulouse' is one I hadn't heard of, and it is a stunner- I really dig that 'mottled Gallica' look, but your 'VdT' almost has a moiré effect that I haven't seen before.

'Camaïeux' and 'Rosa Mundi' look like their stripes were painted on- very nice indeed!

Do you think you'll try another clone of 'Honorine' some day? Beautiful stripes and great fragrance are quite a nice combo.

Thanks again for those great pix,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jerijen, I don't know if that's 'Rainbow', but I do know that I like it.

Is your rose like jannorcal's with more dramatic stripes in the Spring and Fall?

Whoever it is, it's a charming rose and I always enjoy seeing your photos.

Thanks,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, I'm sorry your 'Rainow' got bugged. Do grasshoppers eat flower buds there like they do here? Whatever's going on there, I hope your beneficials soon find your pest(s).

We're having an unusually buggy Spring here; I'm guessing the more desirable bugs didn't survive the winter in the same quantities as the bad un's.

Good luck,
    Virginia