Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bakersfield CA and Zepherine Drouhin

Posted by rosedigger 9b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:38

I dug up from the ground 14 mature roses and potted them, moved them from their home in Livermore Ca, to Bakersfield Ca. (similar zones, 9a/9b) where we now reside.

I am just settling in or trying to, lol. At this time I am thinking of my Zepherine Drouhin climbing rose as to where to plant her.
The weather is consistently hotter in Bakersfield than their previous home.
Afternoons it reaches the 90's and 100's weekly.
Does "morning sun only" sound wise for ZD or does she do ok in daily hot afternoon sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bakersfield CA and Zepherine Drouhin

I grew Z.D. here at a previous home and saw it still thriving in its morning sun only location; it has been 9 years, and I can assure you that it has not been pampered in any manner that is typical of a rose gardener. I would suspect that in your climate, and morning sun, it should be okay.

I have actually been on the fence regarding purchasing another one. It would have been exposed to some afternoon shade. I was unsure as to how it would perform in that location.

Lynn

o

Mine gets a lot of shade in the AM, but gets afternoon sun, but usually after it's spring bloom. It doesn't bloom that much after that.

o

Okay, thank you, your answers helped, I will be placing Zepherine Drouhin in morning sun, it should grow and bloom fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here