Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tell me about Wollerton Old Hall

Posted by JoshTx 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:03

I am considering purchasing a WOH from DA for the garden next year. Does anyone have experience growing it in the southern United States? Thanks!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tell me about Wollerton Old Hall

Josh, I have no experience with this rose, but on Helpmefind a poster states that the rose finishes with a dirty white color. In a hot climate it may fade to an undesirable color rather quickly for a good part of the time, something to consider. It may also need a lot of water, with those large and deeply cupped flowers. These are just suppositions since I've never grown this rose.

Ingrid

o

Mmmm, I think it is a weird and bland colour (but I also think Souvenir de la Malmaison is too) and believe that Jude the Obscure provides a cleaner coloration with exactly the same form and a penetrating fruity scent.

o

and it flops all over the place. I had to put mine in an obelisk to get it to stand up.

o

Mine is very healthy and growing well but I am wondering about these long canes.......it seems to bloom pretty well - I cant remember about the scent, but its not strong from what I recall. The blooms are pretty - OK not outstanding. I have seen clusters of blooms - It is very healthy and disease free thus far - a pretty shrub even without blooms. Since its a first year plant........I am not expecting lots of blooms just yet. The jury is still out on this one, in my opinion. Dont love it or hate it so far - just waiting to see what it will do in the next year or so. At least it is a very healthy plant!
Judith

o

It has a strong scent here but I hate the growth. Really these sorts of roses should only be sold as climbers.

o

I live in hot and humid Florida. It is always hot and humid in the summer with high night temperatures, but we don't get over the low to mid 90s here. Wollerton was better in the cooler season, but that's true of all of my roses.

Wollerton has a medium strong scent to me, but its a myrrh fragrance. It gets some blackspot, but it's pretty resistant. The blooms are cupped shaped like Jude the Obscure, but are more of a peachy cream shade unlike Jude's yellow cream shade. I haven't notice any ugly fading, but it's lightly colored to star with. The blooms are smaller than Jude, but in the spring there were large clusters of them. I think it will have long canes, because it has a few already.

I like it and its pretty. It's not my absolute favorite, but its very nice. I imagine it will be great in the cooler season. Here the roses grow through the winter, so we have a nice long cool season for them if they can survive the summer.

o

@Josh
I don't grow WOH, but I've seen it at Otto and Sons. The blooms are cupped shaped; the soft peach color fades to cream and dingy white in the heat and sun; the scent is a medium, warm myrrh; the growth habit appears messy, with octopus canes of tentacles crawling everywhere--a climber in CA I think.

Totally agree with Campanula about Jude the Obscure if you desire a cup-shaped rose with a strong, fruity fragrance. And Jude can take the sun and heat.

o

My experience here in the UK is somewhat different.
I planted bare root WOH roses (12 of them) along a south facing wall (full sunlight) and have been very pleased with the result.
Remembering that they have only been in for approx 6 months, they have all flowered beautifully, continuously and their scent subtly fills our home when the windows are open.
Fading? I think this is likely to be an issue with any of the very light shades. WOH is a delicate colour. Ours haven't faded as such, but if they did, I would simply remove them and new buds would appear.
The other thing to consider too is the height. Ours are already sending up shoots over 5'. We are happy about this, although others may not be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here