Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshtx

Tell me about Wollerton Old Hall

joshtx
10 years ago

I am considering purchasing a WOH from DA for the garden next year. Does anyone have experience growing it in the southern United States? Thanks!

Josh

Comments (25)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Josh, I have no experience with this rose, but on Helpmefind a poster states that the rose finishes with a dirty white color. In a hot climate it may fade to an undesirable color rather quickly for a good part of the time, something to consider. It may also need a lot of water, with those large and deeply cupped flowers. These are just suppositions since I've never grown this rose.

Ingrid

• User
    10 years ago

Mmmm, I think it is a weird and bland colour (but I also think Souvenir de la Malmaison is too) and believe that Jude the Obscure provides a cleaner coloration with exactly the same form and a penetrating fruity scent.

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

and it flops all over the place. I had to put mine in an obelisk to get it to stand up.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    10 years ago

Mine is very healthy and growing well but I am wondering about these long canes.......it seems to bloom pretty well - I cant remember about the scent, but its not strong from what I recall. The blooms are pretty - OK not outstanding. I have seen clusters of blooms - It is very healthy and disease free thus far - a pretty shrub even without blooms. Since its a first year plant........I am not expecting lots of blooms just yet. The jury is still out on this one, in my opinion. Dont love it or hate it so far - just waiting to see what it will do in the next year or so. At least it is a very healthy plant!
    Judith

• caldonbeck
    10 years ago

It has a strong scent here but I hate the growth. Really these sorts of roses should only be sold as climbers.

• amberroses
    10 years ago

I live in hot and humid Florida. It is always hot and humid in the summer with high night temperatures, but we don't get over the low to mid 90s here. Wollerton was better in the cooler season, but that's true of all of my roses.

Wollerton has a medium strong scent to me, but its a myrrh fragrance. It gets some blackspot, but it's pretty resistant. The blooms are cupped shaped like Jude the Obscure, but are more of a peachy cream shade unlike Jude's yellow cream shade. I haven't notice any ugly fading, but it's lightly colored to star with. The blooms are smaller than Jude, but in the spring there were large clusters of them. I think it will have long canes, because it has a few already.

I like it and its pretty. It's not my absolute favorite, but its very nice. I imagine it will be great in the cooler season. Here the roses grow through the winter, so we have a nice long cool season for them if they can survive the summer.

• prickles
    10 years ago

@Josh
    I don't grow WOH, but I've seen it at Otto and Sons. The blooms are cupped shaped; the soft peach color fades to cream and dingy white in the heat and sun; the scent is a medium, warm myrrh; the growth habit appears messy, with octopus canes of tentacles crawling everywhere--a climber in CA I think.

Totally agree with Campanula about Jude the Obscure if you desire a cup-shaped rose with a strong, fruity fragrance. And Jude can take the sun and heat.

• PRO
    asart Ltd
    9 years ago

My experience here in the UK is somewhat different.
    I planted bare root WOH roses (12 of them) along a south facing wall (full sunlight) and have been very pleased with the result.
    Remembering that they have only been in for approx 6 months, they have all flowered beautifully, continuously and their scent subtly fills our home when the windows are open.
    Fading? I think this is likely to be an issue with any of the very light shades. WOH is a delicate colour. Ours haven't faded as such, but if they did, I would simply remove them and new buds would appear.
    The other thing to consider too is the height. Ours are already sending up shoots over 5'. We are happy about this, although others may not be.

• Joe Gardner
    7 years ago

I also have this rose on an east facing wall.I bought it as it was discribed as strongly scented. We have a hint of scent ,very disappointing.The flowers are also very heavy on the long stems so flop everywhere.

• User
    7 years ago

I find it strongly scented, so much so, I have a seat underneath. I say underneath as it's growing as a climber on trellis and a very lanky grower it is, although camouflaged by growing it with an evergreen Jasmine, so it's nestled amongst all the leafage, but as I'm a ruthless pruner, can't tolerate too much in the way of monstrous out of control ramblers, then oh boy I can't wait to get to grips with this one, after the first flush...

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    7 years ago

Bumping this to see if anyone has more to say and could post a whole shrub photos , blooming or not. I have it coming next week and I don't know where to put it . My buff beauty has been growing low and forward so I thought it could go behind it to give the area height but I'm not sure. Thanks!

• PRO
    asart Ltd
    7 years ago

Lilyfinch, I'll try to find images but my advice is use it as a climber.

My last comment on WOH was almost 3 years ago and last year the height was around 8 feet tall. I have now moved them all and am using them as climbers.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I will receive mine tomorrow! Can't wait for the blooms.

7 years ago

Thank you ! I think I know where to put it then . Really hoping it takes off ! photos still very welcome.

• Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Now that's an amazing picture! Wonderful! Lisa

• PRO
    asart Ltd
    7 years ago

Oh, I should have added that when we purchased them, WOH was being sold by Austin's as a Shrub Rose. Now, they are only selling it as a Climber. This is a good move.

The only images I have are the blooms from the first year and they are almost identical to Zuzu's beautiful image. Yes, this is exactly what the flowers are like.

The other factor is that the stems are long and the heavy weight of the blooms does cause them to droop.

I have just moved them all and have planted them against a south facing wall amongst Etoile de Hollande, Guinee and Claire Austin climbers where the stems should get more support.

It IS a beautiful rose........I'm sure you'll love it.

7 years ago

How wide should I plan for ? Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake . I hate to cram it behind buff beauty and it finally take off and be a problem . I could put it behind my wishing well vignette but I don't have a trellis or wall for it of its floppy .

• totoro z7b Md
    7 years ago

Lilyfinch here is a bush shot of mine. I will treat it like a climber too. A bit of Heritage on the right.

• PRO
    asart Ltd
    7 years ago

We planted them 3 feet apart and after 2 years, in Summer, they were a continual, unbroken line, of WOH. The leaves and flowers starting approx 2' above the ground.

Its not too floppy, the stems are quite strong, but in my experience, they do shoot up quite rapidly from the 2nd year on and the abundance of flowers causes them to slightly droop,

Its a beautiful rose and wonderful for cut flowers and the scent, well, its wonderful although a couple of comments previously have indicated that in different parts of the world this may differ. Here in the UK its beautiful.

IMHO, it does need a lower rose or other plantings in front of it.

• Tom Kane
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have cooler summers in Vancouver so the colour doesnt fade as much. i just planted it in July and lots of blooms and growth, beautiful scent.

• PRO
    asart Ltd
    2 years ago

I should add, that after this season, all of our WOH almost reach the guttering on our 2 storey home..

• rosesmi5a
    2 years ago

It has been hardy for three winters unprotected here in MI. Tall and lanky, easily wrapped around a pole. Steady bloomer, softly fragrant, healthy. It bloom way more than Jude.

• jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

Lilyfinch - it does appear that in your warm climate WOH will try and be a climber - then it depends on what you want to do with it. I looked on HMF, and despite very many pages of photos, I did not see even one which was a total shot of a plant, although if you go way back to the first three pages of photos or so, there are some pics of the top half of bushes.

Jackie