Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harborrose_pnw

polyantha pictures for a small program

harborrose_pnw
10 years ago

I'm doing a little program for the local ARS group on polyanthas and wondered if there were any of you that have pictures of yours that you would let me use. I'd give full credit.

I grow some but would love pics of China Doll, Weeping China Doll, Fairy, Red Fairy, La Marne, Little White Pet, Rita Sammons ... whatever you have pictures of.

All help appreciated very much. Gean

This post was edited by harborrose on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 19:01

Comments (67)

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I can add some others if you like. I have close ups but if you'd prefer some bush shots I have those too. Let me know.

Blanch Neige/White Koster/Snovit (? I just looked this up on HMF and found out they changed the exhibition name to Snovit, go figure)
    {{gwi:283024}}

La Marne
    {{gwi:283025}}

Verdun
    {{gwi:251947}}

And a modern one, Zenaitta
    {{gwi:283026}}

• ksgreenman
    10 years ago

I have several polyanthas on my various postings on the Rose Gallery forums, but I'll repost a few here as well.

Rotkappchen
    {{gwi:283027}}
    {{gwi:283028}}

Lauren
    {{gwi:283030}}
    {{gwi:283032}}

Anne Marie de Montravel
    {{gwi:283034}}
    {{gwi:283036}}

Leonie Lamesch
    {{gwi:283037}}
    {{gwi:283038}}

Perle d'Or
    {{gwi:283039}}
    {{gwi:283040}}

Rosenprinzessin
    {{gwi:283041}}

Sequoia Greenfield
    {{gwi:283042}}
    {{gwi:283043}}

Marie Pavie, the Vintage clone so its a bit more double
    {{gwi:283044}}
    {{gwi:283045}}

Cecile Brunner

That's about all I have right now--its too dark to run out and get a full bush shot of Cecile.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Gean, members are posting some lovely photos. I'll look to see what I can unearth. I laughed out loud when Michael posted his Marie Pavie tale. Now I'm feeling guilty. I effusively praise Marie (and my other polyanthas), but I think she (and the other polys) must be the least photographed rose(s) in my garden. I am sooo busted! I'll post any photos I find. --Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

OK, here are the bush shots.

Blanche Neige
    {{gwi:283049}}

La Marne
    {{gwi:283051}}

Verdun
    {{gwi:283052}}

Zenaitta
    {{gwi:283053}}

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ya'll, I am overwhelmed. Thank you so much for your photos. I will use them all.

I am going over to Diane's thread on roses in pots and tell her she might want to come over here and look at these. She might get some good ideas for her yard. I do thank you all, and don't stop, please.

Does anyone have a pic of Paquerette or of Lullaby?

KSgreenman, thanks for that pic of Rosenprinzessin. I ordered that one from Vintage but they sent another rose instead as they were out of stock on it. It's nice to see it.

• TNY78
    10 years ago

I am getting sooo many good polyantha idea here! I am in love with Rotkappchen! It looks like a mini bourbon to me, and I love boubons!! I also really like Zenaitta...it looks REALLY healthy!

Here's a couple of Lullaby (not the best pics, sorry to say):
    A little bit of a vegetative center and fewer petals mid summer:
    {{gwi:283054}}
    {{gwi:283056}}
    And showing some pink in the cool fall weather
    {{gwi:283057}}

• Kippy
    10 years ago

I have a weeping china doll as a standard if you want photos, I can do that this week.

Or the Perle d'Or photos I posted last weekend (I can forward bigger files if you want)

{{gwi:267702}}

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Hi Gean,

Thanks for telling me about this thread. Wonderful pictures.

Ingrid, I can't believe your Aunt Margy's rose.

Diane

• sidos_house
    10 years ago

Beautiful pictures! I am amazed by Ingrid's Aunt Margy's rose.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

What a great response you've received!
    I was thinking that if the group isn't too large you could bring a few blooms. In California there is a lovely woman named Barbara Gordon, who is very generous with her rose talks. When she does her polyantha talk she brings a number of blooms and then gives them to folks to bring home and root. Polys seem to root easily. I have a number of them that came from her. It's a nice memory.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Kippy, where did you get your standard Weeping China Doll? I've always wanted one, but I've never seen them for sale.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Rosefolly and Pam, for the kind encouragement. That's a good idea, Pam. I will have some blooms to show but I hadn't thought of encouraging people to root them. That makes me think, though, that I also have a couple of them already rooted- they are easy, aren't they? - and will give them away as prizes. This group loves door prizes, but don't we all!

Thanks again, everyone, what a treasure you've shared!

Kippy, I think that size is fine, but will give a holler when I start putting these into the keynote software to show. I love that picture!

This post was edited by harborrose on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 10:37

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Thank you for the complimentary remarks about Aunt Margy's Rose. It's available at Rogue Valley Roses and has been completely disease-free in addition to having a lovely old rose fragrance.

I'm entranced by Lauren and Rosenprinzessin, among others, and seeing all these polys together has been such a treat.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Florida

I got my Weeping China Doll Standard at Otto and Sons in Fillmore CA. It was in a 5g pot-pretty sure that is not shippable.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks, Kippy.

• minflick
    10 years ago

Cecille Brunner, viewed through my tomato cages.... Sorry about that. Planted nearly 2 years here, but carried around in a wine barrel for 7 years.

Melinda

• minflick
    10 years ago

Here's a better picture of Cecille Brunner you might prefer.

Melinda

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Gean - here is a pic of Cl Cecile Brunner climbing up my house, which I took about 2 weeks ago. I planted it about 20 years ago.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    10 years ago

Gean - here is another picture of CB - this bush is 90-100 years old. I do not know if it is bush CB or the spray one.

Jackie

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Melinda, thanks so much! CB is such a great rose. What do you have in your pots with the cages? They look like lilies and bearded iris in there? I was thinking that those cages would make a great support for plants other than tomatoes and what a good idea that is.

Jackie, what a treasure your decades-old CBs are. I will show the small ones and then how beautifully that rose ages as it matures. I have a baby Spray CB; I am excited to see what it will do in the next years.

Thank you all again! Gean

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looking over these pictures again, I can feel a rose list beginning, and I can tell you that I do not need any more roses! Seil, I love that white Dick Koster and Lullaby is gorgeous, Tammy. Lauren is one of my favorite roses.

Ingrid, I am pretty sure that Aunt Margy's Rose would hate it here, so I will have to just be happy looking at your pictures that you post of it. It is so beautiful!

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

I love this thread.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

What a great opportunity this has been, to remind ourselves of all that Polyantha Roses have to offer.

For a class of roses that all too often "don't get no respect," they are both beautiful and bountiful.

One last image, which I don't think anyone posted -- 'Baptiste laFaye' a rose which is miserably unhappy in my conditions, but would be wonderful in Gean's area.

Jeri

10 years ago

Jeri, I have two young plants of Baptiste Lafaye, and it was your description that "enabled" me to try it. What cruel irony that it doesn't do well for you. So far they've liked my conditions; we'll see what they have to say about my summer weather. Your picture of it is stunning.

Gean, I don't know whether Aunt Margy's Rose would be good for your area, but even I have some balling which does give a hint of what it might do in your much damper climate. There are so few roses (if there are any) that will be equally happy in every climate zone.

Ingrid

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renee, I love this thread too.

Thanks for telling me about Aunt Margy's balling for you, Ingrid. It would probably be terrible here, but it is gorgeous for you.

Jeri, thanks for your 'Baptiste LaFaye.' I really love BF too and find that mine often shows as a purple, much like 'Lauren' does here.I plan to take it to show at the little program, hoping it will catch the eye of some of the people there.

Here's a bloom stalk from mine, last year. The bush, at three years, is about 4 feet high and has a lovely rounded form. Lucky you, Ingrid, two of them!

{{gwi:283058}}

This post was edited by harborrose on Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 0:37

• jerijen
    10 years ago

That's wonderful! I figured it would be better elsewhere. I'm glad to know that's true.

Jeri

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Here is Mountain Mignonette aka High Country Mignonette
    {{gwi:283059}}

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

These pics make me want to buy every poly I can get my hands on.

Tammy, I just planted Weeping China Doll late last year. I hope she gets as beautiful as yours. My blooms were much paler, not nearly so lusty looking.

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hi, everyone,
    The slide show has 37 slides and covers a simple history of polys as I understand it and uses most of the pictures you all posted. I'm giving this tomorrow night and just wanted to thank everyone again. I listed all of your screen names and where you grow these roses at the end. Thank you so much; I couldn't have done this without your pics and help!

Gean

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I'm sure they'll ove your presentation, Gean. The pictures you've gotten have been wonderful.

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

If you are missing any pix, I might have some you could use. Please let me know and t hank you for spreading the good news about polyanthas..

JimD

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim,
    Thank you; you've already helped tremendously; I used your polyantha articles on hmf as the spine for the slide show. I also found an article by Dr. Lammerts from 1947 AR Annual and several other articles on polys on line as well as a couple of miscellaneous things from Peter Harkness' illustrated book of the history of roses and a paragraph or two from one of Stephen Scannielo's book. I have learned a lot doing this!

But now that I think about it, one I wish I had is a color photo of a mass planting of polys. I found a black and white photo in MacFarland's "Roses of the World in Color" but decided not to try to use it.

And your 'Pookah' is blooming in my back garden along with Verdun, Sweet Pea and Sibelius!

10 years ago

floridarose, I have the regular China Doll, and was hoping for the lush color that I've seen in pictures, and mine is just a very ordinary pink, and the shape of the flowers is hohum. It's in its second year and I hope the situation will improve somewhat. I am learning though, that roses grown in cooler and/or more humid areas will often have richer colors. Bah! On the other hand, the mosquito isn't the state bird here....

Ingrid

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

When China Doll first came out, Los Angeles rosarians reported in POP that the colors were so harsh (candy pink) that the rose had to be planted in separate beds so as not to clash with the other more muted colors of traditional polys. The other interesting thing to note about 'China Doll' is that it is used in breeding because of its floriferousness; it just wont' stop blooming once it starts....

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think the statement that you made from Ralph Moore to the effect that if a rose exhibits poly characteristics, it should be classed as a poly helped to make sense of the sometimes bizarre classification of roses as polys. It goes along with what Kim has said repeatedly, a rose is classified because a breeder puts it there.

'Tip Top' has no polyantha heritage at all, from what Dr. Lammerts said, yet it is a poly because (I guess) Peter Lambert in 1909 thought it was a popular classification and it seemed to fit it ... cluster flowered, re blooming, small, although it is a hybrid musk x foetida cross. I have looked at the stipules of mine; they are even fringed. And 'White Pet' is a poly even though it is a dwarf sport of a rambler, 'Seven Sisters.'

Something else I saw again is the disagreement people have about almost everything. For example, what is the first floribunda? Very different opinions.

And I really liked your comment that polys, even though not popular as a class, are very influential through their genes, which have made their way into minis, shrublets, shrubs, ground covers, patios. Survival by going undercover.

My garden areas are small, and I really like them because the colors here are vivid, the ones I have are pretty healthy and they bloom all season. I like the color contrasts they give me, of varying shades of muted pinks, whites, and purples. And they are definitely not all small!

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

Thank you all, for spreading the good news about Polyanthas,
    I thought 'White Pet' was a sport of Felicite Perpetue' for years I've remembered its' name from the 'pet' in Perpetue'.

such pretty photos, I wonder that Polys aren't more popular, though perhaps Cecille Brunner is one of the most popular rose in our area, along with Iceberg'.

Luxrosa

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

By both HMF and MRXII, 'Little White Pet' is a sport of 'Feliticite-Perpetue.' I have always known the latter as 'Felicite et Perpetue.' but the official AEN is now 'Felicite-Perpetue.' Live and learn, I guess.

Jim D

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lux, it's something I learned too. There are six 'Seven Sisters' listed on hmf and one of them is a synonym for 'Felicite et Perpetue,' the hybrid sempervirens rambler. The other 'Seven Sisters' are hybrid multifloras or found. Thanks for noticing.

Another of the aggravating things, the number of identical synonyms for various roses. I used the 'Seven Sisters' name in my slide show so my tongue wouldn't trip. Someone tonight will probably ask about that too. Gean

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jim, is the official name 'Little White Pet' or 'White Pet' ?

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

The AEN is 'White Pet'. Although one of the aliases is 'Belle of Tehran.' Try to sell that one in the market today....
    JimD

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's funny, Jim.

There are 9 names for the hybrid sempervirens rambler in question. I almost used 'Lilly Ito' but I figured the 'Seven Sisters' was more comprehensible. I noticed last year when people went through my garden that their eyes glazed over if I spouted too many unfamiliar or French names.

That's okay, my eyes glaze over if someone starts naming off various computer parts or other techno-whiz pieces of metal or plastic.

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

You didn't ask my opinion, but I think it is better to stick to the AENs wherever there is doubt; for one thing the AENs are listed in the Combined Rose List if anyone wants to find and purchase a rose and for another, the confusion over rose names frequently leads to unintentional purposes. I once purchased two 'Violettes' which turned out to be 'International Herald Tribune' instead of the poly of the 1920's. And then there is the HMult...., but you get the idea....JimD

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I certainly understand what you're talking about, Jim. I don't disagree with you, by any means.

I think actually I'll take out the name completely and just leave 'White Pet' as a dwarf sport of a rambler w/o naming it. If they are interested in the rambler itself, they can ask me and I'll give them the name they would buy it under. I doubt if that will happen, though.

If they just get interested in growing some polys, going to all of this effort will be worth it!

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

Sooooo, how did you talk go? Did you get a good response? Do you think you lit another bonfire in the poly circles of light?

JimD

• jimofshermanoaks
    10 years ago

Sooooo, how did your talk go? Did you get a good response? Do you think you lit another bonfire in the poly circles of light?

JimD

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, maybe, Jim. Someone emailed this morning to thank me and tell me they thought the audience was really 'engaged.' Otoh, I also volunteered to design a flyer for the rose show for this person so it's entirely possible they are just buttering my bread.

The slide show lasted about 45 minutes; there was some oohing and aahing over the pictures and people were tickled that the polyantha pictures were from gardens in so many places around the US. I think people were interested to hear how floribundas developed and what a polyantha is.

To some I think it was a shock to hear that roses existed prior to the arrival of box stores.

One sweet guy, a WW2 veteran, was really taken with 'Verdun' and its appearance in 1918. He enjoyed telling me a story or two about the city of Verdun and its importance in WWI. His wife won one of the polys and I was glad about that. I think I'll root a cutting of that rose for him.

It really seemed to me though that the people most interested in the polys were also the ones that were most taken by the vase of very fragrant once bloomers I'd also brought.

I think I'll root some polys and donate them to the club plant sales and see if anyone buys them. My open garden is in a few weeks; maybe some will come to it and ask about them then.

I thought about Pam's suggestion that people take the cuttings and root them. I almost mentioned it, but I don't think anyone roots anything because they mostly only know roses as grafted. Maybe over time they'll become interested in antique roses.

I have another opportunity in October to do another program; maybe I'll do it on the history of roses. I really enjoy putting the talks together so I'll have fun with it and they get cheap entertainment.

Gean

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

What a great thread-----so many beautiful pictures--

Jackie---that CB is unbelievable----

Can't wait to hear what the folks thought of the talk and pictures

Florence

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Glad it went well!

I would like to have been a fly on the wall and heard the presentation

• minflick
    10 years ago

Gean, the pots with the square cages are tomatoes, because that stretch of driveway has more sun (while being out of the main driveway) than any other section besides that front bed that isn't actual driveway I'm not allowed to block. Those square cages are the bomb! They fold flat when not in use, and stack against the back wall of my garden shed - I think $26 each? I used to make cages out of concrete reinforcing wire (smaller gauge) but a roll that used to cost me $35 now is $135 and climbing, AND they don't store flat. I like the new square ones much better. They also come in a lovely deep glossy green, for $5 more.

Yes, I have lilies (red, white, yellow) in front of Cecille Brunner, and bearded iris (varying shades of purple) in front of them. There are also, along the front between the TBI and the edge of the deck, an ever growing bunch of dianthus, in a lovely deep dark cherry red. Coming in to bloom soon are some gladiolas (red & pink), and then most of the short term bloomers are over for the season. Still puttering along will be the dianthus (as long as I dead head them), the nasturtiums, a pelargonium, and the mini roses I potted up last spring, which are blooming fools in spite of never ending PM and some defoliation. Girding up for rebloom is also Golden Celebration (new bare root this winter) and a Frontier Twirl (small but game).

Melinda

• harborrose_pnw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those pots and their cages got some comments last night, too, Melinda. People wanted to know where you live and what was in those pots.

Watching the flowers come and go is like watching a parade, to me. In some sense dreading the mums and asters and last bloom of roses because that's the end, in another sense welcoming it because by that time I'm tired and ready for a break.