Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Open Shade & Roses Question.

Is open shade of any benefit to roses except for relieving them from direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day, for example?

Lynn

Comments (14)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

In YOUR conditions, that's a pretty big benefit!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I don't know how true it is, but some one said that being close to the coast and the extra light bouncing off the ocean, that our shade is better for roses than other peoples shade. If that is true, then I would assume your desert shade also has a lot of extra light reflecting and is not as shady and shady can be

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jerijen,

Open shade is definitely a major plus during our approximately 6 weeks of Hades from July through usually mid August. The heat is relentless. Other than that, using appropriate measures, the heat does not pose that much of a problem. Even when it is 104, we generally have a 25- 30 degree temperature range, unlike some coastal settings that may only have a 5-10 degree range from the hi to lows. It is only at that high peak "range" here for a 6-7 hours approximately of a full day, outside of Hades in July/August. If a rose is in the shade during that high temperature time of day, and a micro-climate is created, the temperature is obviously lower. We just very likely reached the low 100's (100-105) consistently till sometime in July, but our lows are in the 70's. For most of the day, the roses are not in a 100 degree climate. Many roses thrive here. The disease issues associated with moisture are barely existent; if at all.

During July through mid August most of the roses stop blooming, but my roses do not burn. Mulch, mulch,mulch and other strategies are used to keep roses healthy during our 6 weeks of Hades.

I posed the question incorrectly and should have written does open shade in any way contribute to the minimum requirements that roses need? I read an article that was interesting. The author indicated that open shade contributed to light requirements, but a lower rates than direct sunlight. Unfortunately I do not remember the source of the article and wanted to confirm the information here.

"I don't know how true it is, but some one said that being close to the coast and the extra light bouncing off the ocean, that our shade is better for roses than other peoples shade. If that is true, then I would assume your desert shade also has a lot of extra light reflecting and is not as shady and shady can be"⦠REALLYâ¦??? I would like to see the scientific documents or even read the theory associated with this info.â¦.

Regarding "other peoples shade", the potency of the sun may impact the need for shade. There are other parts of the country, not here, that do not deal with sun as potent or intense as what is experienced in California to begin with.

Gardening here is similar to some parts of California, and the state, MOST of which is not coastal, can be dry and hot like Hades too. The coastal areas come with it is own issues; especially due to the salt and moisture. My familiarity with CA comes from being a Coastal California native, beginning my gardening interests there too.

There are usually trade-offs, and we define our own gardening Utopias⦠More cold, beautiful gallicas, adequate rainfall, peonies⦠etc., etc., etc., or we just adjust.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 0:43

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Being close to the ocean near san francisco doesn't help me that much with my part shade although I at least get some bloom with my 4-5 hours of foggy sun. Plenty of mildew and blackspot too.

Diane

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Lynn,

I had never heard that either, but the person giving the talk is fairly knowledgeable so who knows. I was thinking that it might be that we might get stronger sun to start with than places like England. Wonder if the UV index is higher here than other northern parts of the USA?

Diane, I do love the fog and am thankful for it this morning. Nice and cool out there. But it sure adds some issues in the garden

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy,

Southern California has a greater UV index level than any part of the country that is NOT in the southern region. The UV index map is online.

Lynn

• cath41
    9 years ago

Lynn,

A light meter might help you answer some of your questions. It seems reasonable that shade that has the benefit of reflected light would be less dark than shade without reflected light but you would be certain if you checked with a light meter.

Cath

Original Author
    9 years ago

Cath,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will research light meters today.

Lynn

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Do you have. Camera you can manually set?

Sunny 16 rule is 1/125th shutter speed, f16 aperture at 100iso

That should get a well exposed photo in the sun. You can see just how much darker your open shade is if you take one picture of a. Object in the sun vs the same object in your shade.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy,

Thank you for the suggestion. A light meter for me... Yes/maybe.... My camera is a point and shoot... My husband is the "family photographer" who has a bunch of professional gear that I have extremely limited knowledge of, and have elected to stay away from... In general. He has come to terms with my rose love/addiction... If I ask him to measure the open shade, at this point he may think I have really lost it...

Lynn

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Lynn.

Try something like. Hmmmm honey. I wonder how many stops different the light is from here to here.

Bet he falls for it

Original Author
    9 years ago

Fall for it...not him..

Also, my using a term like "stops" would be a dead giveaway:)

Lynn

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Well, on the other hand most men love showing off their expertise and using their gadgets. If you often cook his meals and wash his clothes he might even consider this as a way to repay your efforts. I shouldn't think it would take him more than five minutes.

Ingrid

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

If you have a smart phone there are several free light meter apps as well.

Cheers!
    ~Anika

This post was edited by gothiclibrarian on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 7:13