Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabrielsyme

Pruning Question for vigorous rambler

Gabrielsyme
9 years ago

I recently posted a picture of my Peggy Martin beginning to bloom but now I have a question. Last year (the first) I did very little pruning on this particular rose but this year I'm not sure how to proceed. I want the rose to grow up to the second floor balcony in the picture below and then I'd like to weave the canes through the railing. On the way I'd like to train some around the window to the right and maybe cover part of the house above and around the window as well.
My question is this: how many canes should I allow to start from the base? I now have two main canes that split off in four directions. Should I keep just two and encourage them to continue splitting off higher up or allow a third or fourth to grow from the base? I don't want things to get too complicated or muddled looking down there but I'm pretty new at this and I don't know how the canes will age. Do roses typically allow older canes to die back after a couple of years? In this case it would make sense to allow more growth from the base instead of relying on two or three aging canes. If I can put all my eggs in a couple of baskets so to speak I think I'd prefer that as I could then choose exactly where to place them.

Comments (13)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's only a year old, I'd leave all the canes alone. Usually they say to rejuvenate an old climber you take out 1/3 of the oldest canes. But I think on a young one like this you want to encourage more canes to develop. It's lovely already and once mature and climbing all around it will be gorgeous!

• subk3
    9 years ago

Let me be the first to refer you to Paul Zimmerman's rose videos!! He has one that is called "Pruning and Controlling a Climbing Rose." He teaches you the about the structure of a climbing rose so you understand what to do and why you are doing it and when to do it.

Watch it two or three times and you can go forth with confidence and pruners in hand!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Zimmerman's video

• Gabrielsyme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! Those are great videos and I really enjoyed his personality. He's very clear but doesn't take himself too seriously.

It sounds like I will have to allow a few more main canes if I want to be able to give such a big rose a strong foundation. I'm not shy about pruning laterals though which will probably prove to be a very good thing with such an aggressive rose.

• User
    9 years ago

There is a difference between climbers and ramblers which will affect how and when you prune. As I am not familiar with PM, I cannot help on this one.....but, as a rule, ramblers which bloom on older wood also tend to throw canes from the base...and therefore need pruning after flowering so new wood can ripen for the following season. Climbers, on the other hand, will produce laterals which will often (not always) bloom on new seasons wood...and require the usual spring pruning to keep in shape and health. Vigorous laterals can be swapped about easily, removing gnarly ones and tying newer greener canes in their place.
    Even so, I would hold off on any pruning as your rose is still young and developing - it has no trouble producing blooms on upright canes that I can see, so wait another season or two and just observe the sort of growth patterns you are getting.

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

For Peggy Martin, follow directions for ramblers of multiflora parentage rather than wichurana breeding.

• Gabrielsyme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do anntn6b. Thanks. I found an American Rose Society power point about pruning multiflora ramblers but I want to be sure I understand. At one point the author says "immediately after flowering cut out most of the older wood that has flowered in previous years close to ground level." That sounds almost as though you're cutting out nearly the entire plant. Later, he says to cut out only dead, diseased or weak wood. Which is it?

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

Multiflora has a tendency to put out laterals all along an upper surface. Sometimes it's one vigorous one; other times it's all along the upper surface of the cane. Anytime that cane reaches too far down, the lower parts of that cane will die (it's a xylem/phloem thing).

Cutting a multiflora kin down close will keep the bush stunted and for some gardens that's a necessity. Otherwise, that first suggestion doesn't make sense.

Dead wood on multifloras is usually because of a lack of delivery of nutrients caused by a change in cane orientation.
    Diseased wood........I don't think I've ever seen mutliflora with canker or creeping black crud or any pear like disease
    Weak wood on multifloras will result from their being overgrown by younger more aggressive growth and it's on the underside. Sometimes they'll hang on, but ...the bloom won't be what it used to be.

• ibheri
    9 years ago

Peggy Martin is a beautiful rose. I have pruned it ruthlessly and it came back just as beautiful. Here is a picture from the blooms this spring.

{{gwi:283458}}

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Lovely pictures! Both of them!
    How many Peggy Martins are in the 2nd photo? Does Peggy Martin bloom on old wood or new wood? Or both? I am also learning how to grow this lovely rose. Thanks

• Gabrielsyme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anntn6b- Exactly what I wanted to know. I think I see where I am now (that is, where I will be once she gets more established.) Thanks.

Beautiful ibheri! I think I read a previous post about your Peggy Martin when I was trying to decide if I should get it or not. Does yours repeat?

• ibheri
    9 years ago

Thank you.

@Summerseve - Its 1 Peggy Martin. It blooms on both old and new. I pruned mine once in Feb before the full flush.

@Gabrielsyme - She starts blooming end of Dec/Jan..just a few blooms. Once the peak flush is over we continue to have some blooms. In fact there are a few here and there even today.

I am getting ready for the next trim this weekend. The information in this post is very useful. I did not care much about how I pruned before. I will pay attention this time.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Thanks anntn6b for the info, I am glad to hear it blooms on new and old wood, and I need to move one of four Peggy Martins to a different spot due to the size.....
    Thanks Gabrielsyme for posting questions about Peggy Martin, I have learned a lot.

• Gabrielsyme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone! It's been good to have PM blooming right now since I've had exactly one bloom on my other roses so far. 'Carding Mill' has had one lovely flower. The rest are covered in buds but not quite there yet. It's nice to know I'll have a big show from PM just when I'm starting to feel like nothing will ever bloom!