Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zjw727

Mystic Beauty vs. Souvenir de la Malmaison

zjw727
9 years ago

Sometimes I think I must be the only person who likes roses who doesn't love the "queen" of roses, Souvenir de la Malmaison. I know better than to try growing it in my damp, cool climate- it's "bad" reputation is just as well-known as it's "good" one, and I have no illusions regarding it's likely performance here. However, after reading the current SDLM thread, I've realized that its sport Mystic Beauty is apparently FAR less troubled by the balling which plagues its parent. Exciting?...or false hope? What I found to be most interesting in this matter is that it's really a sport of a sport, coming from Kronprinzessin Viktoria- I had no idea. I once toyed with the idea of growing that rose, because I heard that it too is less prone to balling, but the color doesn't thrill me.

Advice, opinions, experience...?

Zachary

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I can't compare the two since I've never even seen a real SDLM, but Mystic Beauty is a fine plant--beautiful pastel blooms that have a good rebloom rate. My Mystic Beauty is starting its third year and so far has stayed about 2 to 2.5 ft tall and wide. Perhaps it might have grown a bit taller this third year if it hadn't been for that brutal winter we just had. I'm wondering if it maybe is marginally hardy in my zone 6 when we have a bad winter--not sure, however.

You might still have a few problems with buds not opening if the spring is cooler and wetter--not a big problem, but I do sometimes have to manually encourage the buds to open by gently sliding my thumbs down the sides of the bud.

Mystic Beauty is one of my favorite plants.

Kate

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Michael often reports the success he has with Mystic Beauty, and encourages us to try it. However, SDLM remains my favorite rose even though I have lost many roses this past year, including SDLM.

It seems like all light colored roses ball, and get thrips. I just take off the blooms and move on. I have 12 SDLM and have no problem with their re-bloom. Mine grow to about 5 feet after the three year start. (sleep, creep, leap).

I purchase my roses in Texas because of the shipping costs, and the customer service. I understand that other nurseries have greater selections, but the price difference is significant.

Also Kronprincessin Viktoria and St Anne, are not as hardy as the SDLM for me.

If I can have a more successful year gardening, I think I would like to branch out and not only try Mystic Beauty, but try the other sports also.

Sammy

• michaelg
    9 years ago

Of the group, 'Kronprinzessin Viktoria' is the most resistant to balling. 'Mystic Beauty' is better than SDLM, but it does ball some for me here in the rainy Appalachians.

• gringo
    9 years ago

my post disappeared into the ether ...lost in space.... somewhere out there.
    I can't compare the two, although after having read rave reviews of it, about four years ago, I decided I just had to have 'Souvenir...
    Well, after about 4 years, (grafted) its still a little tiny thing & not even nearly like a small shrub!
    Was it supposed to have big blooms & some wonderful scent? It's cute, at the least...
    I'd much rather have my 'la Reine Victoria' back alive again, after about 20 years, killing it in the move, any day of the year, by comparison....
    Of course, the SDLM made the transition just fine & it's o.k. as I'm a bit nostalgic & was suffering from nostalgia, real badly, so it came along for the ride. But I'm happy with the little thing , even if less than what you'd call a tiny shrub, if even that..
    Just never figured out exactly what those rave reviews regarding it, was all about it. Was it supposed to be loaded with fabulous blooms with an other worldly scent? more like dainty... lol

• michaelg
    9 years ago

gringo, could your plant have been mislabeled? Should be at least 3x3 by now with consistently large flowers.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

SdlM thrives here and has recovered from two transplantings. It died back some last winter but has come back gangbusters! It seems to ball less now that it has matured.

{{gwi:235451}}

• stealthecrumbs
    9 years ago

I have Mystic Beauty and I actually live down the road from Michael. She is in her second full season. I haven't been impressed. She balls up at the hint of moisture and at this moment she has some powdery mildew- she is the only rose in my entire garden with powdery mildew. I was on a waiting list for another at RU and I cancelled. In fairness, she is in a tough spot but so are some of her Bourbon sisters who are performing well. I'm not giving up on her especially since we're having a dry stretch and YMMV but in a damp climate, I don't know... I'd be hesitant. Her overall size is nice! I could use a few more roses of modest scale.