Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

For Those Who Like Pretty Buds and Sepals

jerijen
9 years ago

. . . like them as much as I do???

Here is "De la Vina Mystery" ramping up for a new flush of bloom. :-)

Comments (54)

• monarda_gw
    9 years ago

I love these. Thank you so much, Jerijen, for posting these beautiful photos and starting this thread. Many of these names are completely new to me.

• zjw727
    9 years ago

Alfred de Dalmas

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Beautiful; inspires me to take more pictures of buds. But, I'm terrible at taking pictures.

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Crested Moss at the Heritage

{{gwi:285631}}

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, 'Crested Moss' is just the ULTIMATE, isn't it?

I can't grow it here . . . Well, we DID -- but after a handful of years, with no winter dormancy, it just faded away.

Here is a rose descended from it, that I CAN grow -- An un-released Ralph Moore rose, crested (tho to a lesser extent) but fully remontant, and a handsome climber --

"Dawn Crest"

• zjw727
    9 years ago

That is beautiful!!!

• mashamcl
    9 years ago

Lovely! I like the blooms too, not that generic pink that so many mosses have. What about "Crested Jewel", did you try that, Jeri?

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No. I haven't. And I can't recall what I didn't like about it, either. --G--

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Thanks for the inspiration everyone. What potential there is in a bud.

Diane

• labrea_gw
    9 years ago

A mixed bag from over the years mine & The Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn & The Bronx
    Cesonie
    {{gwi:285632}}
    Old Red Moss
    {{gwi:285633}}
    James Mitchell Buds
    {{gwi:285634}}
    Leda Bloom Buds sepals
    {{gwi:285635}}
    Bella Donna
    {{gwi:285636}}
    Crested Moss
    {{gwi:285637}}
    Henri Martim
    {{gwi:285638}}
    Nuit de Young bloom buds sepals
    {{gwi:285639}}
    Louis Bourgoin Bud
    {{gwi:285640}}

Oliette Parfait I've never been certain of the last one as Oliette parfait is supposed to be white & pink splashed. but pretty lace sepals

{{gwi:285641}}

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Crested Moss is beautiful, but actually, "the ultimate" is Crested Sweetheart. I've not encountered anything as outrageous as Crested Sweetheart, not even Crested Jewel. Believe me, I've LOOKED. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Crested Sweetheart

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

My goodness! Gorgeous, gorgeous buds from so many of you! Here's a simple bud from my brand new Alnwick (planted bare root this April).

What is that little bug, and does it hurt roses?

jannike

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're likely right, Kim -- but I think it might have problems opening, here, through spring and early summer.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Most likely it would. This is a seedling whose sepals I'm really enjoying. Kim

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I'm loving all the buds and sepals! Big sepal fan here!! Roses are such detailed plants, especially OGRs and new cultivars which are what I call "holistic roses," plants that have been bred for garden value beyond nipped blossoms for show and vase...not that they necessarily fail on those counts. I'm thoroughly enjoying all the photos. If I can get to the computer, I'll join in the photo posting. Some of my damasks and albas grow fantastic sepals. I was recently seduced by Paul Barden's Crested Damask and look forward to blooms next year. Carol

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

Ohhhhhhh: Old Red Moss!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Labrea, I am seriously casing your garden! I've never seen so many gorgeous OGRs grown to perfection--striped ones, mossed ones, etc.

Kim, nice sepals as always! Please never stop breeding roses. :-)

Carol

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I agree with you, Carol, about Labrea's OGRs. Amazing how wonderful they can be when grown where they SHOULD be. Thanks. As long as I can get water and enough room to raise them, I intend to! This seedling germinated in the past several months and is pushing its first bud. Nice sepals so far. Kim

{{gwi:285642}}
    {{gwi:285643}}

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Now those are SEPALS!

• labrea_gw
    9 years ago

Oh No no no those are from either the NY or Brooklyn Botanical gardens!
    I have a small space in a community Garden with about 7 roses depending on what I keep & give away the overall Garden has about 60 to 70 roses many of which I had donated over the years!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kim -- What cross is that?

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

All the photos are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing you all!
    Susan

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I had to reinstall the mesh covering on the seed table to keep the squirrel and Towhees out of it so I can't see the tag in the jungle of foliage, but that table has both Lynnie and April Mooncrest crosses in it. My guess would be something crossed with April Mooncrest. The seedling beside it resembles Dawn Crest in its sepals. I did a lot of mixing those two together. Kim

• prickles
    9 years ago

All the pics are so pretty...thanks.
    Here is wild edric.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I would love to watch Kim at work with his crosses some day.

The cuttings I got from him in November are growing like weeds and as happy and healthy as I could ask.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Oh how neat! Congratulations, Kippy! I'm thrilled to hear that and happy for you! Sure, when do you want to climb down the slope and watch me "pimp pollen"? Don't expect "gardens". I have weed "companion plantings" and plenty of fried off foliage! (NOT KIDDING!). Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, YEAH Kim! Neat stuff!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Kim, I would love to see.

What is the best time of the year? Does Ralphs's Crested Sweetheart do well on this side of the mountain range or just on the Bako side?

Seems it is birthday party season for the next couple of weeks, then company and trips to LAX so there will be a lot of driving to LA for me in the next month. I am trying to figure out how I can make it a fun trip if I have to drive to LAX.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Hi Kippy, Crested Sweetheart did quite well in Newhall. It's half Little Darling (black spot where an issue) and Crested Moss (black spot, rust and mildew where they're problems). It's extremely double with thin, papery petals chock full of scent, the perfect combination for balled globs of yuck unless there is good, dry heat in which to open. If you can't provide at least a nobel attempt at that, Crested Jewel is a better choice, though not nearly as outrageously frilly. Nice, but not AS crested.

Please let me know as soon as you figure out what might be possible so I can shovel the dog "presents" and cut things back so you can squeeze through the "jungle"! Wear a hat, dress comfortably for HEAT and wear comfortable shoes! The front, where I propagate and many hips are forming on the potted plants, is east facing so it's brighter and warmer in the earlier part of the day, but by noon, it's shaded and cooling. The main concentration of roses is half a story lower on the full western exposure so it gets HOT later in the afternoon. Paths are narrow and things snag every direction you turn, so, as I said, don't expect manicured, "tended" gardens. Those are at my clients' homes, NOT mine! Kim

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

All the pictures of the buds are so pretty, I always enjoy my rose buds before they open, it's like the promise of something good to come. Thanks everyone for sharing, I never thought of taking pics of my buds before now.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Well I actually do have a pic of a bud, it's the first bud of Heritage, I took it before I went out of town because I knew I wouldn't be home to see it bloom. Sorry about the poor quality of the phone, took it in a hurry with my phone.

• Mountie
    9 years ago

Oh, boy! I love this thread! Does anyone have a photo of Louise Odier's buds and sepals? I'd sure like to see that!

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Elegant bud of Belle Portugaise

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Anna Olivier

• buford
    9 years ago

ok, I just ordered roses I see on here. You people have to stop enabling me.....

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Pretty sepals, attractive bud, nice scent, but that's all that's good about it. C-04, a Sequoia breeding seedling. Kim

{{gwi:285644}}{{gwi:285645}}{{gwi:285646}}{{gwi:285647}}

• User
    8 years ago

...I like this thread very much as I so enjoy sepals and buds on roses....

..I'm rather taken by this one of mine too.... my camera doesn't take a great close up, but I find 'Marie Nabonnand' - quite intriguing...

..the wavy buds on this little China rose - L19 Laos - remind me of synchronised swimming...

..too well known...no guesses....

..however, these two are of 'Tipsy Imperial Concubine' and I'm becoming convinced this rose is closely related to Souvenir de la Malmaison (above)... I wouldn't be surprised if it's a sport..

• roseseek
    8 years ago

Pretty! This is 4N07, a seedling by John Jelinek.

• Vicissitudezz
    8 years ago

They're all great- some of those leafy sepals are really over-the-top... who needs flowers?

Here's a less dramatic one that might belong to 'Mrs B R Cant'... would love feedback on that:

Virginia

• bluegirl_gw
    8 years ago

*swoon*. These are so lovely!
    Peachy Perle D'Or

HT Jack Frost--this thing has the looonnnggest buds

Comtesse de Muranaise--moss rose blooms often aren't great down here, but who cares if you can enjoy this stage?

• roseseek
    8 years ago

5D-13, another Jelinek seedling.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is the thread that enabled me to buying some crested, damask and moss roses. I bought Leda, Nuits de Yong, Cresida and Bella Donna. They are still in pots, but most had nice blooms.

This is Bella Donna

This is a bud on Nuits de Young

My First Leda Bloom and some buds. The buds did suffer a bit in some
    late cold weather which caused the blooms to be a bit deformed. But they
    were still pretty and have a great fragrance.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    8 years ago

Wow, very beautiful everyone. Thanks Jeri for starting the thread.

• PRO
    Leigh Wilson Versaggi Architecture
    8 years ago

Wow! These are amazing roses! I just looked up Leda rose, and have never heard of what kind of hybrid that is. I am guess they like cold weather...

• rbehs
    8 years ago

Common Moss

Alba semi-plena

• monarda_gw
    6 years ago

I loved this thread and I have something to add to it. This is Coquette des Blanches at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden a few weeks ago.

An old picture shows them, too:

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Beautiful! This is (L56-1 X R. Minutifolia) X Self.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That looks good enough to eat.
    Literally.

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Thanks, Jeri!