Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

Rose Petals Nursery came to my house yesterday

sherryocala
13 years ago

Well, not the whole nursery - just Sally. She wanted some cuttings of Climbing Maman Cochet, a rose they did not have, and she got a ton of them. Keep your fingers crossed that lots of them take. She also got some from Le Vesuve, Purezza, LaSylphide, Princesse de Nassau and Serratipetala. (Jeri, glad to hear you finally got one for yourself.) I hadn't ever thought of it before, but it's kind of like donating blood. It's a good way to keep the OGR population growing and circulating.

We had dinner together afterwards that DH had cooked - a one-pot pasta dish. He calls it American Chop Suey! I was so thrilled when we came in and the table was set with my Blue Willow china. He's such a sweetie, and it was delicious. I learned the proper way to take cuttings, and Sally generously gave me a 'Leonie Lamesch' that I'd been wanting. Though we both sweated quite a lot in the late afternoon sun, it was a pretty wonderful evening.

Sherry

Comments (13)

• buford
    13 years ago

That sounds like fun! I wish there was a rose nursery near here.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Sherry, that has to make you feel proud that a rose nursery wants cuttings of your plants. I'm impressed. You've come such a long way gardening-wise in such a short time. Your choice of roses is really great too, or maybe it's just that we have the same taste. At any rate, good for you!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Sherry, that's absolutely terrific.
    Two Thumbs Up!

Jeri

• vuwugarden
    13 years ago

Oh, Sherry, you must be so elated! And DH is a sweetie to have cooked a meal AND set the table so nicely. HeÂs definitely a keeper.

Wishing you a wonderful day, Ms. Sherry!

Audrey

• brother_cadfael
    13 years ago

What a great entry that will make to your gardening diary... mental or otherwise. :^D
    Rob

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

What a special day you've had, Sherry. Thanks for sharing it. :) Gean

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

buford, it really is great to have this marvelous nursery so close by. I have no more room for incoming roses, but I can contribute with outgoing roses.

Ingrid, as I told Sally, when I was buying roses, I got one of everything - or so it seemed, and this rose, Climbing Maman Cochet, is just special. I think everyone with heat should give her a try. So Big Mama is now REALLY gonna be a mama to many other rose plants. Pretty cool.

Jeri, I knew I'd get your approval on this. A no-brainer, right?

Audrey, yes, he's a keeper, and thanks for the good wishes.

Rob, very true and very insightful of you. A day to make note of.

Sherry

• melissa_thefarm
    13 years ago

I totally believe in sharing roses around. It sounds like it was a lovely day.

• gardennatlanta
    13 years ago

Sherry, That sounds like a lot of fun. Sally was very nice to me via email earlier this year when I placed an order (actually really wanted something they said was "out of stock"). I think I'd enjoy meeting both Sally and Linda in person.

I'm glad that you, like me, have a spouse that supports your gardening interest. Thanks for sharing your garden with us here and with others via giving cuttings.

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Oh Sherry---I got chills reading your post---what a wonderful day for you and your garden---I'm way beyond thrilled for you---
    and what a great DH you have --- dinner sounds delicious
    How nice to read you have Blue Willow----I have a wonderful collection of really old Blue willow that was given to me by my favorite aunt who was 93 when we lost her---she always set the table with her dishes when we had lunch and then one day shortly before she died she had them all packed up for me to take home------I treasure them

I also have a set that we picked up when they had a special at the Acme food stores---we use it everyday because it is very practical and pretty--Microwave safe etc.
    Your post made me happy tonight.
    Some of my aunts old Blue willow on the shelf over the windows
    {{gwi:202895}}

Florence

• sherryocala
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Florence, love your blue and white! We are kindred spirits. It's a hard distinction to make between blue & white china and roses but for pure thrill, blue and white china wins for me!
    {{gwi:285747}}

gardenatlanta, when you consider that both Linda and Sally have "regular" jobs, it is really amazing how hard they work and what a good job they do with their roses. We're all blessed to have a small nursery like this.

Melissa, it's nice to have roses old enough to take cuttings from.

Sherry

• imagardener2
    13 years ago

wow Sherry, first you buy plants and grow them up and then you call up the nursery and give back.
    awesome.

Denise

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Sherry---Love your china----Blue and white china has always held a special place in my heart---
    I live near the Original Lenox mfc, plant in Trenton N.J--my first DH grandfather worked there many. many years ago so I do have a lot of Lenox--many different patterns which I love to use but the old blue steals my heart every time.
    the piece on the right in your picture looks like some old "Flow blue" my mother had a lot of that but it was stolen from her home.
    I know I would feel right at home in your garden and home.

Florence