Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peggy Martin Love

Posted by Gabrielsyme 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 21:00

This was the first rose I planted myself and I could hardly wait for it to wake up this spring. Like so many others we had a terrible winter with temps well below zero but PG had almost no die back and is blooming 15' up my chimney and 6' up the side of our playroom in the picture above. I don't mind the size and the pruning since I've already got a mature wisteria planted 12" from my siding that we cut back hard once a month to keep under control. Anyway, in our humid climate PG gets no blackspot whatsoever and does not seem to attract pests. It is by far the healthiest rose among the 11 varieties we currently have (though more are soon to come.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peggy Martin Love

A beautiful picture! I got 4 Peggy Martin rose bands this Spring! How old is yours? Does yours repeat well? Thanks

o

I love how it wraps around the window, so pretty.

o

Thanks! I got mine a year ago from Antique Rose Emporium so they're pretty new. They were good sized plants when they arrived and put on a lot of new growth but did not repeat last year. The person I spoke to at ARE last spring called it a once bloomer but I've since heard of more established plants repeating so I'm hoping to see something in the fall. We'll see.

o

Beautiful rose, up the chimney already? That must be one vigorous rose! I would love to see a photo of that.

Is your rose fragrant. On HMF it says Mild to strong fragrance?

Sort of confusing...

o

Thanks for the info! I can't wait to see four of mine growing up! :-) I hope yours repeats in the Fall. Really want to see yours in full bloom, would you please post another photo later? Pretty please..... :-)

o

true-blue- Mine has no scent at all and I think that seems to be what most people say. I'd love to post a picture of the chimney but I only have a 50 mm lens so getting a picture from any distance is pretty tough. I'll see what I can do as more flowers come out.

o

How very pretty! I'd always understood it repeated, but perhaps it needs a few years of settling in before. It looks great against your white siding.

Ingrid

o

Thanks Gabriel. It's fine for the photo. I'll imagine it with my mind's eye :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here