Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
long_island_rose

Marianne is gorgeous (hybrid gallica)

long_island_rose
14 years ago

I love this rose. All these blooms with shades of soft yellow, apricot, and pink are from the same big beautiful bush. They smell great, too!

LIR

{{gwi:285859}}

{{gwi:285860}}

{{gwi:285861}}

Comments (18)

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Yeah, it's pretty here, too:

{{gwi:285862}}

{{gwi:285863}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    14 years ago

Those are all nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• jackie_o
    14 years ago

Oh my that IS gorgeous. Can you only get her at RU?

• greybird
    14 years ago

What a beautiful rose, these pictures are amazing.

I googled Marianne and Rogue Valley Roses has her in stock in bands.

• geo_7a
    14 years ago

Mine is new this year; two ethereal blooms and now a wait for next year. But, in the meantime. the shoots I have have put out many disease free leaves, and the growth prospects look very good. I think I'm really going to like this rose a lot.

• jackie_o
    14 years ago

Thanks Wendy I'll look there!

• andreageorgia
    14 years ago

Wow!

Can we remind Paul to make his fabulous creations available in Europe - PLEASE!

Andrea

• veilchen
    14 years ago

Andrea, we'll do that when David Austin agrees to release his new roses to the US the same time he does in the UK!

I have a Marianne too, mine is 3 years old from a band, can't wait for it to bloom (soon).

• texaslynn
    14 years ago

Lovely! And I had to restrain myself from sticking my nose on the computer screen to try to take a sniff!

Lynn

• twohuskies
    14 years ago

Ugh, how frustrating... Mine is three years old as well and not a single bud in sight (ever). Tiny little plant too. It didn't winter kill down to the ground so I was really hoping for a few blooms this year. I'm hoping it actually grows this year or it may have to go, and I really don't want to do that.

Your pics are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

I've been lucky and hit a sweet spot in the yard for mine. I planted it in Fall 2007 and got a couple of blooms the first year. This is its second year and it's been pretty well loaded--and that's with losing half the plant. It had 2 basal breaks last year that grew really well, and all of a sudden this spring one of them just died. Don't know if it was canker or what--there was a lot of dieback on the roses this year, although none of my other gallicas were affected at all. Maybe a little of the Austin heritage showing through.

veilchen and twohuskies--maybe she's just a little slower in zones 4 & 5--I know that I would be!

• User
    14 years ago

Unfortunately this rose is not suitably Winter hardy for zones colder than USDA 5, which would explain why yours isn't doing well, twohuskies. Sorry about that!

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I love that rose! The postcard I got from Uncommon Rose showed it more yellow. Now they have it at RVR, but there's only one more rose I want for now and don't know if I can find it. Well and R. Roxburghii.

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Just one more pretty bloom from Washington. LIR, your images are impossible to match! Lucretia, great shots!
    {{gwi:285864}}

• long_island_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love that shot of the bloom on the grass - what a great idea!

Thanks, again, everyone. Glad you enjoyed the bouquet photos. The blooms have now faded in the vase, so it'll be time to cut some more tomorrow.

LIR

• paddlehikeva
    14 years ago

I love this rose, too. It was planted as a huge "band" last spring, but is now probably 4' x 3'. It was covered with flowers a few weeks ago. Unfortunately heavy rains robbed me of most of my spring flush :-( It still has a few blooms on it, but we are still getting nearly daily heavy thunderstorms, so none of them are photo worthy.

Kathy

• User
    14 years ago

A Beautiful bit of rose magic thank you George!