Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Rose ID?

Vicissitudezz
9 years ago

I saw a rose blooming at a public park in downtown Charleston, and would love to know what it is.

I can't say if it's fragrant or not, or even if it's an old variety, although to me it looks OGR-ish. But then again, I wouldn't know modern foliage if it bit me on the nose... (And if it bit me on the nose, I wouldn't want to know modern foliage, but I digress...)

Will post 2 photos in 2 separate posts... Flickr is playing stupid games with accounts that aren't accessed through Yahoo. I'm not too impressed with Photobucket or Picasa, so am not sure what my options are, but in the meantime it's separate posts for separate photos...

Comments (20)

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second photo of mystery rose...

I do seem to recall the flowers looking a bit more obviously stripey than they look in these pix.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

It reminds me of my 'Napoleon' but there are others far more familiar with Chinas who would better know for sure. Maybe it's 'Old Blush' or its sport 'Archduke Charles'. Look through the photos for all three on HelpMeFind by typing their names into the link below.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Search at HelpMeFind

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I would probably guess at 'Old Blush.' Mind, though, I have never seen OB in those specific conditions. And 'Old Blush' is very changeable.

But if it is helpful, here are three different blooms of 'Old Blush' photographed at different times -- and a plant photo of Cl. Old Blush, made in Drippin' Springs, TX.

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Chinas: very changeable...like darned tea roses. I have a Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux in my driveway that often looks nothing like what it is supposed to be. With that said, I'd agree with Jeri's guess and second the Old Blush ID. Napoleon and Archduke Charles roses usually have fuller blooms, and Charles' coloring usually darkens more as it ages. For reference, the Monticello website has a couple of Old Blush pics that greatly resemble your rose. Old Blush is here, there, and everywhere in the south. I frequently encountered it when I lived in TX. Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It does look very much like 'Old Blush'.

It was a bit sad to see how few China Roses have photos at Help Me Find...

This post was edited by vmr423 on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 1:37

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked through all the listings for China Roses at HMF, and I do think 'Old Blush' is the most likely, but 'Napoléon' and 'Unermüdliche' also look kinda similar- and are similarly variable.

I'm guessing, though, that the latter rose probably wasn't distributed/popular in the States or it would have gotten a more pronounceable handle for this market.

It's interesting to see the lovely photos of 'Napoléon' at HMF, but only one person bothered to rate it- and with a Fair-. Sad, because it must be doing well for some folks...

Thanks so much to you all for your help.

Virginia

• User
    9 years ago

Either 'Old Blush' or something closely related. My 'Alice Hamilton' from Sequoia often had this look as well; often streaked with darker color on top of the somewhat lavenderish pink.

This post was edited by trospero on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 11:24

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Alice Hamilton'- how did I miss her? And the photo linked below from HMF is strikingly similar to one I posted.

Is there any way to reliably distinguish 'Old Blush' from 'Alice Hamilton'? I can revisit the park to look for clues, if so.

I'd forgotten that I had this photo showing foliage and- barely discernible- some small red-pink prickles. I suspect this won't clarify things much, though.

Thanks,
    Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Alice Hamilton' photo

• jerijen
    9 years ago

The 'Alice Hamilton' I have from the Vintage imports DOES have that general look -- HOWEVER, 'Old Blush' consistently mildews here, and 'Alice Hamilton' is mildew free.

To be honest, the thing that looks most like 'Alice Hamilton' (to me, anyhow) is "The China From Adina" which we collected in my family's cemetery, in TX. (See below)

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

She is quite a lovely thing, but she does look more pink (and less lavender-pink) than the rose at Hampton Park. But I suppose color can vary from season to season, and location to location?

To me, your China looks more like 'Unermüdliche' than "my" China (well, it IS a public park) does. Or maybe what's sold in the U.S. as 'Mme Laurette Messimy'?

Whatever her original name, she's a beauty.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF photo of 'Unermüdliche'

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Well, I don't think she's Unermudliche -- since she'd grown there in that cemetery for close on a century . . . I've always assumed she was a sport or seedling of 'Old Blush,' but I haven't made a push for an ID. "The China From Adina" works nicely for me.

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

It is a very pretty rose.-----Florence

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, if your rose is pre-1904, it obviously can't be 'Unermüdliche'- or 'Alice H', for that matter. I did forget to ask when you thought the rose was planted...

'China from Adina' is a good name. Does 'Adina' rhyme with 'China' or with 'Tina'? Either way, she's a beautiful rose...

• jerijen
    9 years ago

As far as I know, It rhymes with China -- at least, that's the way my family pronounced it . . . And my G-Grandfather named the town, so that ought to be "correct."

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just FYI- I got an ID on this from the source (city parks), and the rose is 'Natchitoches Noisette'- it was purchased from ARE, and is a great bloomer with healthy foliage for them.

I think I need this rose! And also 'Mme Julie Lasseu', so I think an order with Angel Gardens is in my future, since they sell both roses...

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Oh, of course! A great choice for a rose if you are in the market for one...or even if you aren't. :-) Carol

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They have grown a good many Noisettes at this park, so to hear that this is one of their healthiest and most floriferous roses... Well, I didn't realize I was in the market for 'NN', but why wouldn't I want a rose with so much going for it?
    And she's pretty good-looking as well.

Do you grow 'NN' where you are?

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

I grow NN here is southeast Texas and this rose has jumped to the top of my favorites list. The reasons I have grown to love this rose is that it is completely healthy, blooms just about year round, is not terribly thorny, and has a really nice bush form. The color of the bloom is also very easy on the eye and "plays" well with other colors, IMO.
    Molly

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

jardineratx, I'm glad to get your good feedback/enabling!

This rose sounds like the ideal OGR alternative to 'Knockout'- at least in our hot and humid areas...

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

vmr423, I don't grow N noisette here, but I used to garden in TX. It grows well there. Of course, I might try N Noisette in Portland, too. Why not? Molly provided a wonderful description of a wonderful rose! Carol