Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kansas_girl

Can I just see your Austins???

kansas.girl
9 years ago

I love looking at Austins. I have one, Boscobel, and I'm waiting for my 14 buds to open! Hopefully it will be soon but the anticipation is killing me! I want to add Graham Thomas and LEH this season, too... Maybe Sharifa Asma. There are so many beauties! Can I see yours please?

Comments (32)

• ogrose_tx
    9 years ago

Here's Abraham Darby, the first rose I bought years ago, which whetted my interest in and eventually led to antique roses.

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So beautiful! I have him on my wishlist for next season. I'll pamper him all he wants if I can get blooms half as gorgeous as yours!

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

As it so happens, I just took some pix of these two:
    Carding Mill ...

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Strawberry Hill. An all-round stunning rose.

This post was edited by adamharbeck on Thu, Jun 12, 14 at 2:23

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    9 years ago

one of the first buds that Sharifa Asma opened this spring/summer.

• joopster
    9 years ago

Abraham Darby

• joopster
    9 years ago

Port Sunlight

• kansas.girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So lovely! Thank you for sharing!

• Adam Harbeck
    9 years ago

Radio Times

• User
    9 years ago

Delbard Rose is very much like the form of most austins
    Dame de Chenonceau
    {{gwi:286189}}
    {{gwi:286190}}

{{gwi:286191}}

• Clarion
    9 years ago

My first rose, Teasing Georgia, and the prettiest of all the DA roses: Constance Spry, -still adolescent but magnificent none-the-less.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Darcey was also a bare-root bought this winter from DA. She's amazing -- more prolific than Munstead Wood, and vigorous??!! You betcha! Definitely needs a bigger pot, or to go in the ground.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Here's a few of my favorite Austins in my garden:

Molineux
    {{gwi:225393}}

Anne Boleyn--a shorter one
    {{gwi:277595}}

Pretty Jessica--another shorter one
    {{gwi:218926}}

Lady of Shalott--one of my favorites
    {{gwi:279301}}

Mortimer Sackler--a bigger one, but my present one is not recovering well from our brutal winter. : (
    {{gwi:207542}}

Queen of Swedens (3)--perhaps the loveliest Austin, but not as good on re-bloom as I'd like.
    {{gwi:218931}}

William Shakespeare 2000--doesn't do full justice to the dark beauty of this rose.
    {{gwi:218930}}

Jubilee Celebration--another one of Austin's most beautiful roses, but suffers from "weak neck" syndrome too often.
    {{gwi:234833}}

Munstead Woods--my favorite Austin
    {{gwi:217616}}

The Pilgrim climber
    {{gwi:216261}}

That's not all my Austins, but it is getting late at night and my sleep-filled eyes force me to bid you Night, Night!

Enjoy.

Kate

P.S. Joe--that Delbard is truly lovely!

This post was edited by dublinbay on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 1:37

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Adam your radio times is stunning! Kate all of your Austin's are healthy and gorgeous. I hope mine look as beautiful as yours in the future.

• cziga
    9 years ago

Kate - you have a few that I really love, and a few that I really want :) The Pilgrim is on my "to buy" list, and Lady of Shalott looks so beautiful!

Molineux: the colours on this one are spectacular. Each bloom is a slightly different blend of yellows.

{{gwi:286197}}

Sharifa Asma: the scent is just divine, a slightly larger rose in my garden.

{{gwi:286199}}

I wish I had pictures of some of my other favourites but I can't find them right now. Fair Bianca is a beautiful, compact white. The Prince has a velvety looking rich colour that I have never been able to capture correctly with a camera, but is one of my favourites. Pretty Jessica and Evelyn are both about to bloom and they are beautiful too but I have no photos yet (maybe in a week or so).

I actually bought Happy Child off a suggestion from a forum member (who I think might have been dublinbay/kate, lol) as a nice, compact yellow and it is also about to bloom, for the very first time, in a couple days so I'm very excited to see it!

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

wow. these are all gorgeous.

• Gardenmama63
    9 years ago

I'm going to link to several but first time trying that. Abe Darby, Mumstead Wood

• Gardenmama63
    9 years ago

Abraham Darby

• Gardenmama63
    9 years ago

Lady of Shallot

• UrbanHorse
    9 years ago

Evelyn

This post was edited by UrbanHorse on Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 23:23

• UrbanHorse
    9 years ago

Crown Princess Margareta

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Golden Celebration
    {{gwi:286202}}

Graham Thomas
    {{gwi:286203}}

• UrbanHorse
    9 years ago

Laddy of Magginch
    ="http:>

="http:>

This post was edited by UrbanHorse on Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 5:49

• iris_gal
    9 years ago

Lurker here. I only have Heritage, A.Darby and Evelyn. But saw many Austins for the 1st time in May. 'Lady of Shallot' and 'A Shropshire Lad' were drop dead gorgeous and will be added as soon as there's room). I do love the pinks and peaches.
    Strong contenders are 'Harlow Carr' (great lavender cast pink color), Gentle Hermione (delicacy without being wimpy but heard she fades to white in summer's heat), Carding Mill and Port Sunlight.

Gentle Hermione
    {{gwi:286204}}

A Shropshire Lad
    {{gwi:286205}}

Port Sunlight had smaller flowers that truly glowed viewed striaght on.
    {{gwi:286206}}

Harlow Carr had lovely large flattish flowers (great color)
    {{gwi:286207}}

Carding Mill (warm and wonderful)
    {{gwi:286208}}

• joopster
    9 years ago

Crown Princess Margareta

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

I love Austins… I collect pink and apricot varieties as space will allow...

Sharifa Asma

The Generous Gardener

The Mayflower

Evelyn

Geoff Hamilton

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

You need MW Krista. Trust me.

• Krista_5NY
    5 years ago

Sheila, I grow Munstead Wood, and agree, everyone needs to grow this rose! Amazing color and to my nose the blooms have a note of berry essence.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    5 years ago

Yes, you must have Munstead Wood. The most gorgeous color in the world!

That's The Wedgewood (pink/white) behind it, climbing up an obelisk, and to the right, a white peony (Festiva Maxima), and, of course, front center is Munstead Wood. My favorite rose.

Kate

• Natalie (zone 6/7 CT coast)
    5 years ago

These photos are a feast for the eyes! Thank you for this post. I feel I should get more Austins now!

Here’s my first rose from a new Litchfield Angel

Here’s the first rose from PAoK

Here’s my beloved Lady of Shallot

Here’s Scepter’d Isle

• cziga
    5 years ago

I have heard so many glowing recommendations of Munstead Wood that he is on my list for next year. Now just to decide where to put him lol ... such a rich dark colour, what have you planted with him as companion plants? I'm thinking I have a spot next to my yellow lupines that might work? Depends how big Munstead Wood gets though...

Also I'm loving the pictures of Carding Mill. I had not seen that one before. Any growing information on this one?

I lost my Molineux in our last winter here ... temperatures fluctuated tremendously and sometimes went down to frigid cold, even for Canada lol ... and Molineux is a borderline hardy rose here at the best of times, even with winter protection I find. So I had to find a new baby one this Spring. His wonderful blend of yellows is a colour that I always want in the garden!