Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etain_gw

What's your favorite hardy climber?

etain
12 years ago

I'm looking for suggestions for climbers. I live right on the edge of zones 4 and 5. I like things that bloom a lot and are relatively foolproof. I'm looking for something to train up up the post and railings of a second story wood deck (maybe something pink or white) and something to ramble along a 4' high split rail fence (maybe something yellow). Red won't work with my color scheme, but I'm open to all other suggestions.

Comments (17)

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

If you are looking for antinque truly hardy climbers.. you are going to find very few.

The best of the antiques are ramblers in the Hybrid setigera class, mostly by Geshwind. These can be found at Rogue Valley Roses for the most part.

There are some speciality hybrids like Lillion Gibson and Lawrence Johnston as well.

Of the new canadian climbers, which may have smattering of repeats.. Quadra is a beutiful rose, but lacks scent as does most of the other canadians, its also a medium to deep red. Not what you are looking for.

John Davis is a medium pink, that opens gracefully. Its a nice rose, most of the explorers have very little issue with blackspot or other issues as well..

If I were you I would with go with Baltimore Belle, its a gorgeous antique with a medium scent, hints of pink at times.

But it only blooms once.

If you are truly on the edge of zone 4, others might reccomend items like new dawn or other multiflora ramblers.. its highly doubtful ANY of these would be more than winterkill fodder every year. They dont make it here in my 5b, but I dont know what state your in, that does make a difference.

Silverkelt

• mariannese
    12 years ago

There is not much to choose from in your zone and mine, although I may be in a slightly warmer climate in winter. But then summer is much cooler here. My best (hardiest) climbers and ramblers are the helenae ramblers, clusterflowered in pale yellow or white from yellow buds. All are very tall and well scented. Lykkefund and Patricia Macoun should be available in the US.

All the Geschwind climbers are fully hardy but generally scentless. All are onceflowering although Asta von Parpart can give a second flush. My two Horvath climbers are also hardy, pink Jean Lafitte and white Long John Silver. Boursaults are also hardy.

I planted Perennial Blue last year in the hope that I would get a longer season but it hasn't flowered yet. Perhaps the reddish purple colour will be unsuitable for your scheme.

Marianne in Sweden

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

Mde Sancy De Parabree, a boursalt rambler.. barely exists here today. Its not hardy enough.. sadly as its pretty rose.

None of the boursaults or multifloras seem to hack it , they are mostly marginal , just need to be slightly less damaged in the winter to really thrive. You might want to play around with them if you want to.. its expensive to do that.

BTW Baltimore Belle and Long John Silver are both excellent roses. Either can be had at RVR.

I keep hearing that the geshwinds are scentless, but alot of sources list several as very fragrant. I have no personal experience with them.

There is also a middle age rose kordes (1950's) Alchemist.. I got one of these myself this year.. but its a big rose.. , very pretty flowers. Im just going to allow mine to be a big bush probably instead of training as a climber. IT will get blackspot probably though.

Silverkelt

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Viking Queen is gorgeous in pictures and is listed as 5A or warmer so I don't know if that would work for you, but I've always thought that was a really luscious rose.

Ingrid

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

What about St. Josephs Coat? Orange/Yellow/Pink blend - also listed 5a or warmer. My first year with them (2), they are growing and blooming like they are on steroids.

• professorroush
    12 years ago

I don't think Joseph's Coat will make it over winter that far north. I second the 'John Davis' recommendation if you want a 6-8 foot pink. American Pillar would make a good rambler (pink and white) if you want 20 footers. I'm sorry, I can't even think of a yellow climber good for Zone 4

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog on American Pillar

• etain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate all the suggestions. I'm in Michigan and according to at least one USDA map, the line between zones 4 and 5 runs right down my street :). We moved in late last fall, so I haven't been through winter with roses here. The most notable thing about last winter was the wind ... it is brutal. I learned not to leave anything outside that isn't tied down. It wasn't terribly cold, we only had a handful of days below 0. We had consistent snowfall which meant a nice thick blanket of snow for most of the winter.

Scent is not terribly important, I have plenty of roses that smell nice. These will be in highly visible areas, so looks matter.

I'll take your suggestions and do some research. Thank you!

• silverkelt
    12 years ago

American Piller can survive in a round about way in zone 5ish.. zone 4 .. maybe not.

Josephs Coat like most of the modern climbers would be winter kill fodder.

unfortunately.. the rose business is in the business to sell roses, not to properly inform , teach, or appreciate roses. They put these ludicrous zone ratings on climbers and then sell them. It should take all of a couple seasons for you to figure out these roses will not make it without major coddeling.. IE trenching them every year. Thats up to the individual, but its a shame that they are sold that way.

Lawrence Johnston might be the only real yellow climber hardy for the north. Alchemist has tones of yellow, but can be anywhere from amber orange, to medium pinks to creamy yellows. Its a very pretty rose in any of its stages.

I will post some of my pics later, Quadra is doing very well on my trellis, but again its a medium red. . My John Davis is only 2 years old Its about 4 feet now, I need it around 6 feet for my spot though =), My baltimore Belle is 3 years old and its growing like gangbusters.

Silverkelt

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    12 years ago

Climbers are so hard when you drop into zone 4. Good thing pink is one of your choices; you'll find most successful hardy roses are some shade of pink. (Your request for yellow however, is doomed, I fear to tell you.) I've spent years (and $$$) experimenting and rejecting those climbers that are not cane hardy. It is a long list, believe me. I hope you don't go by the "is listed as hardy to zone..." route and waste your time. Ask for those who have experience; that's the best way. I have a few climbers that are once blooming and I accept the lack of repeat for a rose that won't die back on me. My most reliable is Champagne Arches, aka Nancy Parker. That rose is Iron Clad hardy and really tall (but be warned, very thorny too.) My Lilian Gibsons aren't very tall yet this being only their second season, but came through winter with no damage and right now are preparing to bust out all over with bloom. So far I'm impressed and I'd feel safe recommending that rose to you. I have several of the Geschwind ramblers, but none is big enough to really show what they can do and some I fear never will be, not being truly hardy enough. The best of the lot are Geschwind's Norland Rose and Geschwind's Orden. They are in their 3rd year here and have some potential for retaining their canes over winter, I think. The others, Asta von Parpat (knocked down to the ground every winter for the last 6 years) and Erinnerung an Brod
    (the same extreme dieback for 3 years) are doomed here, I think. Prinz Hirzenprinzchen and Inermis Morletti, I can't even find at all this spring. Sigh.
    Others I've allowed to stay that make only a short plant are Ramblin' Red, Viking Queen, American Pillar and Russelliana. They're all wonderful roses, but not climbers here in zone 4. I won't bore you with the list of failed roses that I've taken out, given away or just had completely die away over the last dozen years. But believe me, if I heard about a tall, hardy rose, I've probably tried it.
    John Davis has my vote for the best reblooming pink rose you can train as a climber. My sister has William Baffin on the side of a tall arbor, but it is a chore keeping him well behaved. My own W.Baffin is grown as a monstrous free standing shrub...much easier!

• zeffyrose
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures of Quadra-----I agree with Anne---the best advice is from people in your zone.

Florence

• mariannese
    12 years ago

Thank you for the Quadra pictures! I got one in April, still in a pot, that will replace my dead Climbing American Beauty, apparently not a bad choice.

Is the yellow Doubloons hardy like Long John Silver? It's the only other Horvath climber known over here but I don't have it. Jean Lafitte is my favourite Horvath rose so far. As an American rose it should be well known over there.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I found a John Davis rose (at Lowe's, no less) where it was listed on the tag (incorrectly) as a zone 5 rose and no one knew anything about it. Anyone know how big they get? It's a fairly small plant but very healthy looking. Not many thorns now, but I'm wondering if they show up later...still a cute little plant and so many don't do well with our cold winters!

Our Lowe's can be a bit of a surprise. So many times it's knock out roses, but a few years ago...they had John Cabot roses! Whoever orders the roses, doesn't seem to inform the staff, so they usually end up unappreciated and in the clearance section. Great for me, but so many people would have been happier with one of those, than the hybrid tea rose that's often an annual, in our part of the country.

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

My John Davis is about 6 feet tall, its still growing some, my hopes is that it will hit 8 feet at some point. Its not a super tall climber, William Baffin on the other hand Ive seen personally to at least 15 feet if not more.

Im suprised a lowes has a John Davis, I mean extrememly suprised. Ive seen one nursery even offer it around here. My lowes and home depot 7-8 years ago would have a ok selection of some antiques, some austins, and some moderns, but now .. its knockouts and flower carpet roses to , there is little else sold.

Silverkelt

• professorroush
    11 years ago

John Davis get's between 6 and 8 feet maximum here. But it blooms its head off. William Baffin will be a bit larger.

• taoseeker
    11 years ago

Maybe Leverkusen can be worth trying, at least checking out. It is the most hardy yellow I know. If it doesn't become a climber, it will most likely grow back from the snow line. It is usually a tough one, and with a good dose of fertilizer in spring it regrows very well.

• silverkelt
    11 years ago

Ive tried a leverkusen, and its not hardy. It will survive, then tried to throw out long canes. Any of the modern climbers will do that, they are generally just messy because of that, with very little bloom.

There just are not that many roses here that can get above 10-12 feet or so, if they are truly looking for a large rose to get to the second story, the choices are down to a small pool.

Hate to say it, but it might be better to get some of the non prune type clematis.

Silverkelt