Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_ann_gw

Want to see your favorite Old Garden Roses

sara_ann-z6bok
9 years ago

For those of you have grown the old garden roses long enough to have pictures to share, I would love to see pictures of some of your favorites. These last couple of years I have started growing a few and I am loving them, and need to get some more ideas of some of the better ones. So far I have Mme. Isaac Pereire, Rose de Rescht, Zephirine Drouhin, Reine des Violettes, Souvenir de la Malmaison, Kathrleen Harrop, Marchesa Boccella and Mme. Ernest Calvat..

A picture of Reine des Violettes, I can't even describe how lovely this rose was when it bloomed in early May. I'm hooked!

Comments (39)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you don't mind having to sort through a whole bunch of pics, the link below is to my photobucket album of my garden-in-progress. It starts out with a few roses I brought with me when I moved here almost two years ago, then pics of the yard before I started the garden, then individual "baby pics" of the bulk of my roses as they arrived as bands and were repotted, followed by garden progress and bloom pics from last year and this year. Most have captions. About half are genuine OGRs, then there are some technically modern but still old roses, a few English/Austin roses, and a few relatively recent moderns.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: my photobucket album

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

I've posted this photo before - it is not from this year - but this is my very favorite OGR: Leda
    {{gwi:238722}}

I am thrilled to pieces that the section of Leda I dug up from my old garden and moved to my new one this spring is leafed out and actually looks like she will have one or two blooms for me - in spite of being rudely bare rooted and pruned top and bottom! Love this rose.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Me too. Despite my climate, we grew it for a while -- finally removed it, and gave it to someone who had a winter!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Christopher - I tried to upload your photos and it was taking too long, maybe later on it will let me. Annececilia, thank you, Leda is a very lovely rose, one of the prettiest I've seen!

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

My Souvenir Da la Malmaisson is my favorite so far, this is my first year to have it and to me it's exactly what I imagined a old garden rose would be and I love it's fragrance.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Boncrow. I planted SDLM this year too and it does seem like a very good rose and the blooms are lovely!

• buford
    9 years ago

To me, the ultimate OGR is Mrs. BR Cant. Here is a picture of mine from 2 years ago. Unfortunately, this one died down to the ground this winter, but it's come back to about 2 feet from the roots. I am also trying to root another one from this one. I will have to dig this one up and move it because of construction going on in my yard. But, once that is done, I plan on having two, one on each side of the driveway. And now I know how large it can get, so I will leave enough room.

{{gwi:286826}}

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

I am excited to see what ends up in this thread! I have no OGRs yet, but I really want to add some and there are so many to choose from! All these photos are lovely! Reine de Violettes & SDLM were already on my short list so I am very happy to see them here!

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 9:46

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Buford - Mrs. B.R. Cant is one of the first old garden roses I noticed. I would probably be pushing the limit to have it in my zone, but I am tempted, I think it is gorgeous!

Jessica - Hopefuly there will be more members showing their favorites.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Buford your Mrs B R Cant is absolutely stunning! I need to find out how she does in my zone 8 in se tx. I am also putting Reine de Violettes on my list, Sara-ann you pic of your RdV is gorgeous and the last time you posted a pic of your zeffie's I ended up with 2! I am enjoying everyone's pics and learning so much about new roses that my list is almost a mile long lol. Are there any OGR's that are yellow? So many are various shades of pink and while I do love the color pink I feel like I already have so many pink roses that I need to break up my color a little with some other colors. I know RdV is a purple color but I would love to see some different colors of OGR's if anyone has them.

• organic_tosca
    9 years ago

Mrs. BR Cant is one of my most very favorite roses in the Sacramento Cemetery rose garden, and yours is a LOVELY specimen ( or was, and will be again)!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I don't have a picture, but Lady Hillingdon or, even better, Cl. Lady Hillingdon, is a lovely soft yellow-old gold rose that is worth having. In my dry heat the climber is better than the bush. Etoile de Lyon is also another great yellow tea rose. For apricot tones and if you have room for a climber, Reve d'Or would be a superb choice.

Ingrid

• midnitecrafter
    9 years ago

Wow, these are all beautiful. I just recently found this site and I am so glad I did !!! I have perennial gardens, cottage style and am looking to add some old roses to the mix. It gets pretty cold here in SE Wisconsin during the winter, so I have to be careful, but I do have an old Harison's yellow that has people stopping to ask what it is.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Ingrid thanks for the suggestions! I will definetely check out Lady Hillington and Rev d"Or. I believe you are the one who also suggested I try SDLM and it has been a good rose for me :)

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

If I had the space etc., I would definitely grow Duchesse d'Auerstädt.

Lynn

9 years ago

buford, I'm blown away by your Mrs. B.R. Cant. If ever there was a testament to what rain can do for roses, your rose is it. You should see my two, struggling along, but not even one tenth as wonderful as yours. I'm sure your two new ones will look spectacular where you're placing them.

boncrow, I'm so happy that SdlM is working well for you. It doesn't do well everywhere (just ask Jeri!) but when it's happy it's a great rose.

As far as Lady Hillingdon and Reve d'Or are concerned, I'm afraid they may be too tender for your zone, although I'm not certain about this. I wasn't paying attention to your zone when I suggested them. I wonder if hybrid musks like the beautiful Cornelia or Felicia would do well for you. They didn't like my heat but might do better for you. They're not exactly "old" roses but are of that style and are beautiful large shrubs or can be used as climbers.

Ingrid

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

midnitecrafter, I hope you'll consider some of the once-blooming roses for your garden: they're mostly hardy in your zone and there are many fragrant, beautiful, healthy kinds available. I can grow warm climate roses, and love them, but the once-bloomers, Gallicas, Centifolias, Albas and others, have a special place in my heart.
    Melissa

• jardineratx
    9 years ago

One of my favorites is Rev d'Or. Not only are the blooms beautiful, but it is always healthy and has canes that are lax enough to work with pretty easily. Of course, you notice that I say "One of my favorites". That is because my favorites tend to change frequently in the garden.
    Molly

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Ingrid you may be right, I researched both roses last night and my zone may not be right for them although Etoile de Lyons may be the better choice. I will keep in mind the others you suggested and keep researching. I have until next spring so decide so I have plenty of time to keep changing my mind lol.
    Molly your Rev d'or is beautiful!
    Sara-ann how is your RdV doing you for you? Any comments good or bad I should consider if I want I try this beauty?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That Rev d'Or is beautiful. Boncrow - My RdV has only been in full bloom once and it was breathtakingly beautiful. Right now it has a few buds on it and looks like it is going to make more. No signs of disease, it looks healthy. So far I think it is doing well. Of course I am used to roses that repeat quickly, but I am trying to adjust to the fact that they don't all do that, but so far I consider it a rose worth waiting on to bloom. I feel the same way about Zephirine Drouhin and Mme. Isaac Pereire. All three of them are starting to bloom a little.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 18:46

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Sara-Ann that helps with me with my decision. I am for sure adding RdV to my list for next year. And Ingrid I looked up Felicia and Cornelia and they are both beautiful roses, I'm still undecided so it's good I have a while before spring :).

• muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

Boncrow66, I don't know what your zone is, but if hybrid musks do well there and you're looking for a yellow, you might take a look at Francesca.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I am in zone 8 in se Texas and my climate is very humid and hot in the summer. Our heat index sometimes reaches 110, not everyday but enough you notice. Thanks for the suggestion of Francesca, I will check her out and see if she would be a good rose in my zone.

• Molineux
    9 years ago

My favorite Old Garden Rose is SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON (Bourbon, 1843). Reine des Violettes is a close second but SdlM grows better on her own roots in a wider range of soils and the repeat bloom is both faster and more prolific.

Image of SdlM by Archduke-z7b-8a-Texas at Hortiplex.

9 years ago

Molly, what a stunning picture! Shouldn't we be seeing more of your beautiful garden?

Ingrid

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Love love love that pic of SDLM! It's exactly why she is my favorite too. Molly I agree with Ingrid, would love to see pics of your garden too.

• Molineux
    9 years ago

The pic of Souvenir de la Malmaison isn't mine but instead belongs to Archduke. I don't have a pic of SdlM so I "borrowed" his from the hortiplex database.

Now here IS a picture that I took with my Android. It is of Mme. Isaac Pereire.

• User
    9 years ago

Capt Dyel De Graville

{{gwi:286829}}
    {{gwi:286830}}
    {{gwi:286831}}

I love those Bourbons this does not develop the powdery mildew which I sometimes get on Kronprincessin Viktoria

9 years ago

Be still my heart, what gorgeous pictures, la brea. I have the same mildew problem with KVvP and also sometimes Mme. Cornelissen. I don't quite understand why a sport should be different in that respect but it seems to be.

Ingrid

9 years ago

Be still my heart, what gorgeous pictures, la brea. I have the same mildew problem with KVvP and also sometimes Mme. Cornelissen. I don't quite understand why a sport should be different in that respect but it seems to be.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I adore this rose, Capitaine Dyel de Graville.
    Your photos are breathtakingly beautiful.
    Mine are still young.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

As I've thinned my collection I noticed I have an increasingly larger percentage of once-bloomers over repeat-bloomers that I've kept due to superior disease resistance, fragrance, and vigor. Also they aren't spoiled by the later arriving Japanese beetles and thrips. The bourbons and hybrid perpetuals that you favor I've found to have the worst blackspot resistance among the old garden roses, so you should try some other types! So here are a few favorites, Charles de Mills (gallica) is the first:

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

Ispahan, a once-blooming damask, blooms for one of the longest periods for an old European rose, nice fragrance.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

'Souvenir de Victor Landeau' is a long-caned Bourbon like 'Mme Isaac Pereire' and 'Deuil de Dr. Reynaud' and has similar blooms, but it doesn't seem as though it will have quite the same habit. If you recall Vintage Gardens' illustrations for Bourbons, SdVL is #4, while the other two I mentioned are #3 (see link at end of post). Another difference I noticed is that even in NJ and without using fungicides, SdVL gets little (if any) noticeable blackspot until well into Autumn. Mine came as a band from Vintage Gardens in Spring 2012, and was finally planted in the garden in Summer 2013. It didn't bloom until its second year (2013), and when it did, it had two flushes in late Spring, paused during the heat of Summer, and had another couple of flushes from late August onward.

August 2012 -- four months after coming as a band, potted in a 2-gal container. No blooms yet, but ntice how clean the leaves are.

{{gwi:286833}}

{{gwi:286834}}

{{gwi:286835}}

Leafing out April 2013.

{{gwi:286836}}

First blooms late May 2013 (the next wave were more fully double).

{{gwi:278822}}

{{gwi:286837}}

Mid June 2013 -- second wave of blooms is on its way (note the buds), and perfect foliage.

{{gwi:286838}}

{{gwi:286839}}

Mid September 2013 -- planted, not blooming, but still has relatively clean foliage. SdVL is the big sprawling thing just to the right of center (note the white tag at its base).

{{gwi:286840}}

April 2014 -- leafed out, SdVL is the sprawling rose in the center of the right-half of the pic.

{{gwi:286841}}

Early and Late May 2014 -- getting ready to bloom, SdVL spreads almost the entire width of these pics.

{{gwi:257621}}

{{gwi:286842}}

Late May 2014 -- buds forming.

{{gwi:286843}}

{{gwi:286844}}

{{gwi:286845}}

First opening bloom, May 29, 2014.

{{gwi:264508}}

Two days later...

{{gwi:264529}}

{{gwi:264530}}

June 2, 2014 -- first wave of first flush (if you look closely, you'll see lots more unopened buds).

{{gwi:264532}}

I have another long-caned Bourbon, more in the MIP and DdDR style. My original MIP died, and Linda at Long Ago Roses recommended 'Mme de Sevigne' as a possible alternative. I planted the small band last year, and this year it bloomed for the first time. It's also growing like gangbusters. This pic is from June 2, 2014 -- note the thick canes. The tallest of these is now about 4' in height. It's much more upright than SdVL (well, SdVL starts shooting canes up, but they eventually start to lean under their own weight). While blackspot season has begun in my garden, it's interesting to note that MdS has none (so far...), while several others are beginning to drop lots of their lower leaves.

{{gwi:264543}}

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Bourbons at Vintage Gardens

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Christopher I love seeing pics of your beautiful roses!
    Sara-Ann is your RdV in total sun all day or does it get some shade in the afternoon?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'll share a few pics of some lesser-known OGRs from my garden. More are found in my album linked in my first message on this thread.

Keep in mind two things: 1) they were planted only last year, so they're not mature yet, and 2) I'm not a great photographer, and use my iPhone to take pics, so the quality isn't always great.

~Christopher

'Pierre Notting' 1863 Hybrid Perpetual

{{gwi:264570}}

{{gwi:264569}}

'Georg Arends' 1910 -- straddles the line between Hybrid Perpetual and Hybrid Tea

{{gwi:264566}}

'Nouveau Monde' pre-1811 Hybrid China (with a clematis climbing into it)

{{gwi:264455}}

{{gwi:264491}}

{{gwi:224828}}

{{gwi:264567}}

'Rose du Roi -- original' 1812 Damask Perpetual -- this differs from the 'Rose du Roi -- of commerce' offered by many nurseries, and since the first flush, has filled out nicely (i.e. isn't so gawky anymore)

{{gwi:264500}}

{{gwi:267642}}

{{gwi:264501}}

'Mme Dore' 1863 Bourbon (still tiny, but also won't likely ever get big -- and, like 'Souvenir de la Malmaison', I think this has Tea blood)

{{gwi:264513}}

{{gwi:264545}}

'Monsieur Boncenne' 1864 Hybrid Perpetual -- this has more purple tones in real-life than my iPhone can capture

{{gwi:264514}}

{{gwi:264515}}

{{gwi:264544}}

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 23:42

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Thanks Christopher for sharing! I particularly love your Pierre Notting, Nouveau mined and Monsieur Boncemne, , very beautiful roses.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I misspelled one, sorry!