Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roserich

Going to the UK..Garden suggestions

Leaving Saturday and taking a vacation of two weeks with my fourteen year old. I'm renting a car once we get out of London. I'm interested in the following gardens and wonder if anyone has been. Or could suggest others that may be on my route. Not going to make Mottisfont this year.
Thanks for any comments.
Couughton Court, Warwickshire
Sissinghurst
Coton Manor, Northamptonshire
Castle Howard, N. Yorkshire
Alnwick, Northumberland
Would like to see Regents Park in London and Hampton Court.
Let's hope these lovelies have a tea room, gift shop and WIFI for the 14 year old.
Susan

Comments (17)

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Have a great trip----I visited London way back in 1976 and I loved it-----enjoy all the gardens
    Florence

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

I highly recommend Scampston Hall--especially since you seem to be planning to be in Yorkshire.
    Visit their website and read up on Piet Udolf--amazing designs. Have you been to the High LIne in New York City? He planted that wonderful raised park.
    A gardening friend and I visited England last fall. In addition to Scampston, we visited RHS Wisley, Hillier, Hinton Ampner, and Upton Grey--this last a restored Gertrude Jekyl garden. All were wonderful. Our least favorite garden was West Green.
    Roses were not our focus, but we did see some and I'm sure you will see more at this time of year.
    Have a great trip!

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great! Thanks for the tip. Hope to see Jekyl's garden at Lindisfarne. We are staying one night there.
    http://www.judithtankard.com/_images_arts/roy_oaks_newslet.pdf
    Susan

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

Thanks for the link! We didn't make it to Northumberland, will have to start a list for then next visit!

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

If you can make it to Mottisfont, you must. I adore Montissfont. Sissinghurst: Yes! Hinton Ampner (near Winchester) is a garden designed by a lover of shrubs, including roses. Kiftsgate and Hidcote are right next to each other and in the Cotswolds, which is a beautiful place. If you are in London , yes the places you said, but there's an interesting rose garden in Hyde Park. You can take an easy and pleasant train ride to Hatfield House. On the Thames there is the Garden History Museum, small but interesting where Trandescant is buried. The Gardens of the Rose in Saint Albans is worth seeing. it goes on and on. All these places have lovely cafes. We are going next year when there will be an HRF convention in Winchester.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I forgot to mention that Kew is on the tube route.
    If you drive to Sissinghurst stop in the town of Rye.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mendocino, we are staying 3 nights in the Cotswolds. I am very excited.
    We are taking the train from London to Bath and then renting the car in Bath and heading north. Mottisfont will just have to wait.
    There are so many to see. I'm starting a list for future visits.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Anything on the east coast on up to Edinburgh that's special?
    Susan

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

No suggestions, but have a great trip! I have a fourteen year old too, and she's fun.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

We want to go up there the next time we go. Everyone that I know who has been to Edinburgh loved it.

• mariannese
    10 years ago

I've never been to the north of England but with a 14-year-old I would visit the theme park at Alton Towers in Staffordshire if you can stand the idea yourself! After that experience you should be free to do what you want. The maze at Hampton Court is fun for all, but especially for a Harry Potter fan.

My daughter was a nursing student when we visited the Chelsea Physic Garden in London and she enjoyed it very much, the medicinal plants from all over the world. It has a good café, too, and peace and quiet for a London location.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Love it Marianese! I will NOT divulge the presence of a theme park.
    I'm a big fan of the Tudors. Particularly Elizabeth and Henry. We will definitely see Hampton Court and I noticed the Chelsea Physic Garden on the map.
    Regent's Park is a definite go in London.
    14 year olds are fun Melissa, I hope she steps up to the challenge. I cannot get her into my garden. Even with her new camera. She was bragging about not having any bug bites and I explained that we don't have bugs in our home.
    Susan

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Hampton Court was wonderful. It's the only one on your list I got to see on many trips, lol. I had to be in Oxford, mainly, and too busy for much else at all. But it was so lovely! I'm glad you'll visit it :)

My father was on that (busy) trip for my graduation ceremonies, and he was thrilled to see Hampton Court because of Henry VIII. Our ancestor was awarded land by ole Henry, and Dad's seen that document in Massachusetts archives, etc ;) We didn't get to visit the 'family' land on the coast, but at least we got Henry's Hampton Court rose garden to stroll together while over there. I was more interested in the roses :D No labels, but they are awesome.

Enjoy your trip!

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    10 years ago

Oh, oh! If you can, you have to go to the Orangerie at Kensington Palace and have dessert and tea! Swoon!!! It is such a lovely little setting with the best food. I had a crab appetizer and like 3 kinds of dessert for lunch one day before my flight :D

You might sit out on the patio this time of year. Oh, it's just wonderful.

I can't remember much about the actual gardens, other than the dogs (it's apparently a dog park?). I met the biggest dog I've ever seen in my life there. I know the topiaries were amazing. So much is beautiful in the UK that it's hard to keep straight.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Meredith, great suggestion. I know my daughter wants to see Kensington Palace.
    I wish we had much more time there. 4 days is not enough. But there are so many other places we want to see.
    I wish we had time to see Oxford.
    Thanks.
    Susan

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

My god - only americans could seriously think about nipping up to Northumberland (not to mention Scotland) for a couple of days - we practically rootle about for passports if we have to travel more than 50 miles or so...... Regarding gardens, I honestly couldn't suggest any (not being a fan of the stately home/grand gardening style) but I will add my voice to Mariannese by agreeing that a side-trip to Alton Towers would sate any teenager while allowing you to freely gorge on horticultural delights. By the way, the gardens at Alton Towers are pretty good in their own right.
    Suzy, mother of 3, tactical expert in keeping demanding adolescents happy without resorting to tranquilisers, beating, bribery (much) or handcuffs and straitjackets.

• mariannese
    10 years ago

Camps, I'm speaking from very recent experience, having spent over 5 hours last Monday at the Liseberg amusement park in Gothenburg with two grandchildren. I thought it a small price to pay for having my own way for the rest of the time.

• Marlorena
    10 years ago

I expect you'll be getting on your way now but I hope you have a lovely time in England.... I'm glad you are visiting Alnwick gardens in Northumberland, don't forget to get the guided tour of the poison plants garden there, and also the large garden filled with David Austin roses and perennials...
    but it's all very beautiful...you will be captivated I'm sure...