Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shermthewerm

Help with identifying this rose

shermthewerm
9 years ago

Long-time GW member, just became aware of this forum (I usually hang out at the veggie/tomato/pepper/composting forums).
Anyway, here in the "city of roses" (Portland, Or), I have been unable to find out what this rose is. This is a rose that was re-homed from my husband's great grandma's house. He said it had always been there as long as he can remember (so it's over 40 years old). Does this qualify as an antique rose? Anyway, does anyone recognize it?

Comments (14)

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture (excuse the chicken wire--the chickens found it a little too appetizing)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Which color is more accurate? The hot pink, or the orangy-tone?

What is the habit of the plant? The size? A bush? It repeats, yes?

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apologies for the photo quality. Maybe I could take another picture in the morning. It is more of a coral pink (orangey) and gets more pink as it goes along. Yes, it does repeat, and it tends to stay bushy. I don't really prune it, just dead-head, as it stays much smaller than my other roses. I wish I could capture the color--it's really quite beautiful. Just wish I knew what it was....

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

First thing I thought of was 'Margo Koster.'

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Margo Koster' at HelpMeFind

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I should add that there's a whole family of "Kosters" and others that are all sports tracing back to 'Tausendschon' -- so if the color is slightly off, check out the others in the "family."

:-)

~Christopher

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking up Margo Koster right now. In the meantime, posting another picture while the sun is going down, with my hand to show blossom size if that helps.
    Thanks!

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Sherm, hello fellow Portlander and welcome to the Antique Rose Forum! I think Christopher's guess is a good one. Your rose definitely looks like a polyantha and could be a dead ringer for Margo Koster if my iPad screen is displaying accurate colors (coral with a hint of pink). Margo has good rebloom, is a small shrub, is healthy, and has very light to no discernable fragrance to my nose. Clusters of blooms and bloom size match your rose, she's as pretty as your pictures! The foliage on your rose is typical, too. Carol

• roseseek
    9 years ago

The shape is right for a Koster of some sort. The color is a bit different from the stale cantaloupe it usually is here, but the foliage and shape are right. Kim

• shermthewerm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I looked up margo koster, and it really looks similar. It's a beautiful rose & very low maintenance, it blooms all summer long. My chickens ate all the foliage early in the season, so I took care of that. But otherwise I do not have to treat it for other pests/diseases.

• User
    9 years ago

Its one of the Kosters, to be sure. Might be Dick or Margo.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Margo Koster was also my first thought. I haven't met Dick Koster, though. :-)

• paparoseman
    9 years ago

I agree with the posters before me. The first picture had me thinking Margo Koster because of the bloom shape, color and the foliage. If it is not Margo it is a Koster for sure.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

My Margo Koster has sported several times to the darker pink color shown on the first pic (which I believe is called Dick Koster). So, it could be both Margo and Dick on one bush - mine did that.

Mine also has sported to a stable white version, and I rooted it and the dark pink colored one, so now I have 3 little bushes growing in one bed of the 3 different colors. Only problem is that the coral colored one (Margo) keeps sporting to other colors!

Jackie

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Jackie, I think it's your garden! Roses seem to sport or propigagate like crazy. There's magic in there. :-) Carol