Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773183

Father Hugo's & Austrian Copper

User
9 years ago

Does anyone know a reputable nursery that sells this rose online? I came across a nursery in California called Greenmantle Nursery. They have it, but don't seem to ship beyond May 1 each year.

My backyard has been abondoned to various conifers and tall trees because of deer. There is one spot that is actually well situated for roses if they can grow tall enough to evade the deer and are tough enough to compete with various spruces and get by with minum care after the first coule of years. I thought two or three Father Hugo's should work. If they sucker the way I think they do eventually they ought to form a tall enough thicket to thwart the deer, who are firmly established as the center of gardening universe.

I might also get an Austrian Copper just to find a play pal for Father Hugo's, but helpmefind.com says it is blackpsot prone. If you live in an area where blackspot pressure is high and grow Austrian Copper nonspray, how badly is your AC affected? The main thing for me is that blackspot cannot affect its vigor too much or else I can never get it to grow tall enough. A short plant would just be another item on the buffet menu.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!