Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brother_cadfael

'Isabella Skinner' making good progress on the tripod. (lg pics)

brother_cadfael
13 years ago

{{gwi:287870}}

{{gwi:287871}}

{{gwi:287872}}

{{gwi:287873}}

{{gwi:287874}}

{{gwi:287875}}

{{gwi:287876}}

Thanks for looking,

Rob

Comments (8)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

That's a really fascinating rose. I had to look it up on HMFR and was interested to see that it has tea rose and Rosa laxa in its breeding. I have a feeling this is going to be a magnificent rose once it reaches the top of your structure. I love the color.

Ingrid

• lovemysheltie
    13 years ago

So lovely. The last pic reminds me of peonies. Do you place the tripod after the rose is planted?

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

I was surprised to see that a Canadian rose breeder used a Tea class rose in breeding this rose, because Tea roses are not very cold hardy.

Helpmefind.com tells us that
    "Isabella Skinner" was bred from
    Seed parent: Rosa laxa X Tea
    Pollen parent: Florabunda

By the way, does anyone know its' date of introduction? Dr. Skinner, the hybridizer, passed away in 1967, which gives a clue as to which century its' from, at least.

Luxrosa

• brother_cadfael
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Ingrid,
    I can't wait for it to fill the tripod... but the gardener's main lesson to learn: patience... :)

Priti,
    Yes, I planted the rose first, then anchored the tripod. I wouldn't want to try it the other way around. :)

Luxrosa,
    The only reference I could find for a date of intro in my (too) many rose books, was in the '98 edition of BOTANICA'S ROSES, it simply states, "pre - 1965"... so apparently Dr. Skinner was "Lax", (pun intended), on his dating records. ;o)

I'm going to look at some of my older books and see what I can find.

Rob :)

• wren_garden
    13 years ago

My Isabella is in her 3rd season. She is up to the top of our shed. There has been no winter die back. Punning is only for shape. I love the color. The only complaint is the blooms are blown quickly in heat or rain. I am looking forward to her "eating" our shed.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

Back in the threads where I was asking questions about this rose AnneCecilia (the one who contributed really nice pictures of it to HelpMeFind) eventually responded. She said this rose doesn't really want to be a climber. It's natural inclination is to be a bit shrubby and also very large (I imagine that it might grow in a fashion not unlike Darlow's Engima, except without the multiflora heritage, and with R. laxa influence instead). She stated it puts out lots of basals (more than you need, to the point that it's a nuisance) and doesn't ever really stop doing that.

• york_rose
    13 years ago

I have no doubt I'd grow this rose if I had a spot for it where its natural growth habit would work. (I feel exactly the same about R. eglanteria.)

• lerosier3
    13 years ago

I have 1964 as the date of its introduction. The source of this information is "Growing Roses in Saskatchewan" whioch is an excellent introduction into the Canadian spinosissimas and other cold hardy roses.

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!