Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labrea_gw

Mixed Bag Two

labrea_gw
10 years ago

A small Portland that blows rather quickly but is a beauty if you catch it right as it opens for the magenta pink picote that often appears.
Marie de St Jean I've had it 8 years and it has stayed about 2 feet.

{{gwi:287957}}
Madame Hardy Flopped in the heavy rains.

{{gwi:287958}}

Either in the mud or just bending from the nights previous rains I cut these last week.
Leonies Appoline, Munstead wood. & Madame Wagram.

{{gwi:287959}}

Last of the Peonies Munstead Wood & Leonie's Appoline

{{gwi:287960}}

This Giant Rosa Laxa was not Pruned last year and was easily 13 feet tall.

{{gwi:287961}}

{{gwi:287962}}
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and a Modern
Dame de Chenonceau

{{gwi:287964}}

Madame Joseph Bonnaire I bought this a few years ago & still don't have a firm opinion of it other than it doesn't repeat that well for me.

{{gwi:287966}}

Rare that I will buy a 2nd copy of a rose the space I have is so small but I was so impressed with Munstead Wood right off the bat I ordered a 2nd a true gem & great fragrance
{{gwi:287968}}

Comments (10)

• User
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! You should also post some of these to the OGR picture thread started by fogrose (Diane).

I think Madame Hardy has to be one of the most photogenic roses ever created. Is there anything more beautiful than those snowy white cups with the green eye? Not to mention the feathery sepals.

This post was edited by bellegallica_zone9 on Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 23:48

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Come into my garden, Joe. I need you to take photographs.

Your shots are lovely, as are the roses. Is the Laxa a leftover rootstock? We have one and I was thinking the other day that it's a pretty rose. If ours gets up to thirteen feet like the one in your photo it will be a whole lot prettier. I wonder whether it made a difference to the homeless person who bedded down beneath it.

Your posts are always a welcome sight: thanks.

Melissa

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

They're all beautiful, but that Munstead Wood!! What a stunner!!

Enabler...:)

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Labrea

Wow! I can almost catch the aroma of old roses wafting through my screen. Amazing garden photographers abound on this forum and you are one of the most skilled! If you and others volunteer your work, Tamara will have more material than she knows how to juggle for the rotating forum image. Marie de St. Jean is a treasure. I have Blanc de Vibert, but he's nothing so delicate. Your photo of Madame Hardy outshines ones I've seen in rose catalogs. And your pile of sumptuous blooms.... And the cobalt glass vase.... I have several dark Austins, but Munstead is officially entering my wish list. I'll take a breath now to make room for others to lavish compliments on all that loveliness.

Carol

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Very nice photographs. This is the second photo recently of Munstead, and I'm thinking I might have to see what it will do down here.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Joe, What wonderful photos of some very special roses.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    10 years ago

La Brea, I sent you a couple messages. If you ever have a piece of 'Marie de St. Jean' to spare, I can come get it in-person. I missed out on ordering that one for this year.

:-)

~Christopher

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Joe, you're truly a talented photographer and your taste in roses is impeccable. I love them all but in this bunch R. laxa has stolen my heart. Keep on posting!

Ingrid

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Lovely photos. I agree with Ingrid. R. laxa knocked me out.

The roses and peonies tugged at my heart. Can't grow peonies here. Sigh.

Diane

• labrea_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's probably left over rootstock!