Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Favorite Noisettes and Tea-Noisettes

I have really started liking this class of roses as they do so well in my area. Have ordered as many as I could from the dwindling Vintage list. I would enjoy knowing which are favorites - and of course any photos - of those of you who grow them. Crepuscule is one of my top 5 roses......also have Blush and Nachitoches Noisette. These are growing well - have a few more of Vintage bands but too early to tell about those yet. I would like to start growing more of them and would enjoy knowing which ones are well liked. Are they all about the same size? The ones I have get to be pretty large - was wondering if there are any that stay small. Thanks in advance!
Judith

Comments (24)

• jerijen
    10 years ago

In wish I could tell you it's for sale, but "Roseville Noisette' is sort of a dwarf version of Blush Noisette. ALAS! not in commerce!

Jeri

• harborrose_pnw
    10 years ago

Judith, which ones do you have? I like them too.

I bought St. Leonard's, Cato's Cluster, Lingo Musk, Redoute's Red and MAC. RR is blooming pretty well this spring; pretty thing. The others are new this year. One day I want 'Crepuscule' and 'Mary Washington.'

I'm linking to an old thread on shrub noisettes which maybe is of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: shrub type noisettes

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Putting in a vote for Reve d'Or and Alister Stella Gray, both Tea Noisettes.

They do well for me in part shade.

Diane

• buford
    10 years ago

Crepescule and Reve d'Or are my favorites. I had Blush Noisette, was in a pot as a band. I thought it died last year when I went on vacation and it was 100 degrees the entire week, UGH. But it's come back in the pot! Still very tiny, but I am going to take good care of it this time.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

They take a little time to get going for me but once they do they are fabulous. I would vote for Alister Stella Gray and Rev d'Or too as favs. I have a wonderful plant of "Placerville White" (AKA Zeisse White" Chamney's Pink Cluster came back from a damaged 3 inch thing to a strong lovely rose.

• User
    10 years ago

I got Roseville Noisette from Burlington. Email her.

Jeri, I find it different from Blush Noisette. Scent and foliage are different to me. Maybe I had a different Blush Noisette?

• jerijen
    10 years ago

To be honest, I see a great many photos of Blush Noisette that don't look a lot like the BN I had. I don't know whether it's just environmental, or if there are errors involved.

Our BN was a virused plant. It looked a great deal like "Placerville White Noisette" (aka "Jacob Zeisz") so we took it out, and kept "Jacob Zeisz."

"Roseville Noisette", which I love, blooms through our mild winters, and is quite pink in the colder weather. It grows as a pillar climber.

"Setzer Noisette" shows some strong golden lights, in many fresh blooms. (I really think it has something else in its pedigree.)

We grow Roseville in a pair of enormous turquoise-glazed pots, and it's both gorgeous that way, and easy to tend. Because it really is a fairly petite plant.

If there is time, check to see if Vintage still has "Pilarcitos." It's gorgeous.

But I still think my favorite is 'Reve d'Or'

Jeri

• User
    10 years ago

If only. Me, my son and my next door neighbour are all trying and failing with this class of rose - they surely seem to hate our windy dismal summers, staying either miserable and weedy (my neighbours Gloire de Dijon and Blush Noisette) or huge, but meanly flowered - MAC, Nastarana,and Crepuscule....and yet I have seen amazing ones in the UK, just not in East Anglia.

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

'Secret Garden Noisette' is the strongest smelling Noisette I've ever smelled, the scent lingered on my fingertips for hours after I lovingly ruffled a bloom at San Jose Heritage Rose Garden. I wish it were in commerce, for that.
    the blooms are vivid pink around the edges and light pink in the center.

'Celine Forestier' is one of my most disease resistant roses and I love its' fragrance, a rich blend of mixed floral. I just with it would stay more of a yellow hue, usually it is a crisp white with c. 5% yellow saturation.

I just rooted a Crepescule from a neighbors plant and it is the most disease resistant of all the Noisettes I've met.
    I have a 'Marachal Niel' that I am growing as a centerpiece rose in the middle of a square plot, I haven't chosen the structure on which it will climb, yet.

I planned to grow two Lamarque over my entryway arbor but one of them died, they had small root structures when they arrived. I replaced one with a Mme. Alfred Carriere , I grew to love it.

Reve d' Or always gets complements, I plan on planting two to flank an sidewalk, grown in a Tree Rose shape at c. 5 feet tall with the lower canes pruned off, to show companion plants around it.

Catos' Cluster' has sported to a half white-half pink rosebush in my garden, I was planning to introduce the white sport, as Catos Cloud' but it turns an ashy grey before the petals drop off.

Alister Stella Gray is also a favorite of mine, a neighbor chose it over hundreds of other roses in our garden to make a bridal circlet to hold her wedding veil in place, on her wedding day. I cannot imagine a higher esteem for a rose.

I'd like to meet 'Leys Perpetual' it is a lemony yellowo Tea-Noisette that is said to be disease resistant, as much as I adore M.N. he gets a bit of blackspot in my no-spray garden in the autumn, not enough to bother me much, but when there is a more disease resistant rose of a similar color with good scent, I think it is worth trying.

Nastarana;
    very fragrant white shrub Noisette, with a scent that wafts on the air just as R. moschata does. Rebloom as rapid as a China.

I was so excited about all the Tea Noisettes and Tea roses that vintagegardens.com had brought over from Europe, but now they are going out of business, sigh.....

Luxrosa

• luxrosa
    10 years ago

I just looked at vintagegardens.com website at their photo of
    'Kaiserin Fredrich' truly sigh worthy. What an opulent rose!
    It appears to be so soft and lovely and majestic too, such quality!
    Lux.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

My Secret Garden Noisette which I got from Joyce Demits was always cream-colored, never pinkish, but the bush was scented wherever you touched it.

My favorite is Reve d'Or and I long to have it again. Jaune Desprez and Crepuscule were nice but didn't affect me quite as strongly. Celine Forestier only looked good in other people's pictures, but never in my garden.

The purely Noisette roses suffered in the heat and expired one by one in their full-sun location. Blush Noisette in a rosarian's garden looked so softly romantic and lovely that I immediately wanted it. Oh well, I can dream.

Ingrid

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I got Nasturana last year & it has bloomed very well & been real happy. Lots of clusters of fragrant white musk-like roses.

Picked up Reve D'Or this year. What pretty blooms. Looking forward to her this fall.

• fogrose
    10 years ago

Thought I'd chime in again. I have a plant of the Noisette Narrow Water, which is a sport of Nastarana. The poor plant has been through the stress of being moved from one house to another, planted in an inappropriate location where it has ended up in mostly shade and next to no care and it keeps growing and blooming in flushes most of the year. It is currently at about 20 feet climbing into a tree and it's pink/white blooms keep peeking out from more locations each year. What I'm not fond of are the muddled flowers, would prefer a bit more form to them but as I believe Graham Stuart Thomas once said of Narrow Water, "I grow more fond of it each day."

Ingrid, have you tried planting Noisettes in the shade? Based on Narrow Water's performance, that might be what you need o be able to grow them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Narrow Water at helpmefind

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

For what it worth, in my hot hot climate Alister Stella Gray is by far the healthiest and most floriferous. I also have Setzer Noisette and it is very healthy and blooms a lot too.

I had Reve D'Or a few years ago and it was healthy but never did bloom. I'd like to try it again.

I also have Celine Forestier and it is so so but when it blooms it's so gorgeous I will keep it. It's one of those roses I keep hoping will get better with time.

• User
    10 years ago

No one has mentioned Aimee Vibert yet. There is a climbing version, and a smaller shrub version.

My favorite would probably be Blush Noisette. I like the clove scent, but I find it's variable--sometimes there, sometimes not.

But Jeri's right. Judging by the pictures at HMF, there must be more than one BN out there. That or culture makes a big difference with BN.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I wrote that backwards Seltzer Noisette is a pillar climber. rose ville is a dwarf bush. sorry!

Jeri

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I wrote that backwards Seltzer Noisette is a pillar climber. rose ville is a dwarf bush. sorry!

Jeri

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    10 years ago

jaspermplants, Celine Forestier did not really get going here until about her 6th year. Before then she bloomed sparsely not more than twice a year, smallish flowers on a weak-looking plant. This is now her 9th year and the plant is looking very robust. She is almost continuously in bloom during, with the lagging end of one plant-covering flush meeting the beginning of another and the flowers are huge. I bet yours will get better with time.

Jaune Desprez was also slow to become the nearly continuous bloomer it is now (though not slow to become big!). Folks have complained about these roses being stingy about repeating, but I think patience is needed. Mine have all become better repeaters with time.

I've never met a tea-noisette I didn't like.

• fogrose
    10 years ago

catspa, thanks for the reminder about Juane Desprez. The few blooms my youngish ( 2 years in the ground) plant intoxicate me with their unusual fragrance. Note to self: BE PATIENT. I'm too quick to want to rip one rose out and put another in.

Diane

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Catspa, thanks for the encouraging info on Celine Forestier. He is definitely a keeper in my garden, although I have to remind myself to be patient!

10 years ago

fogrose, unfortunately my house is sited in such a way that very few areas receive usable morning sun, in addition to being on a hill which actually leaves very little space for gardening at all. The climbers I had didn't prosper since their spaces were too hot for them. In order to have Reve d'Or and to plant Annie Laurie McDowell that's now in a 1-gallon pot I'll have to take out Mutabilis. Until recently I haven't been able to even contemplate that, but Mutabilis often doesn't look well, with not enough bloom, frequent mildew and many yellow leaves that I'm not able to hose off. It's by the front door and visible to everyone, and I've finally decided that Reve d'Or and LAM planted near each other will fill up that wall much more beautifully. At least that's the plan, but not until late fall when it's cooler.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    10 years ago

One thought, Ingrid -- In your heat, climbing roses, up against a wall, may have real problems.

When we grew climbers against our south-facing retaining wall, we lost rose after rose to scorched canes.

One level down, we had the same problem against a smaller wall.

I suspect this could be part of the problem for your 'Mutabilis.' The bush has a sort of open, lacy quality, with a fair amount of bare cane. If it's being stressed in that manner, that may be the reason for the mildew problem you're having -- with a generally mildew-free cultivar.

After trying various "fixes," we finally achieved success by putting latticework panels against the block wall, AND planting only roses that were very bushy and well-covered with leaves.

The successes, finally, have been un-pruned bushes of 'Tina Marie,' which are now an upright 9-ft. or so in height, along with a "Roseville Noisette" and an 'Archduke Charles'. ALL of them with latticework panels behind them.

On the lower level, 'Louis Philippe' has been a screaming success where at least 4 other roses died. In extreme Santa Ana conditions, some blooms burn, but he quickly pumps out new ones, and his bountiful foliage protects his canes.

If this problem exists in our far cooler and more humid climate, I suspect it could be part of your problem.

Jeri

10 years ago

Jeri, that wall faces northeast and has now (at 12:45) already been in the shade for two hours. In the winter it receives no more than 3 hours of sun. Since Mutabilis is at least six feet wide I'm not sure that much sun really hits the wall itself. Under those circumstances, would it still be a good idea to have a lattice if I were to put climbers there?

So many of my roses had mildew in this strange spring which didn't have it before that I tend to think it's weather-related. The newer leaves on these roses don't have mildew, except for one tea rose, and that rose didn't have mildew earlier!

Ingrid

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Y'know what I'd do, Ingrid? I think I'd hang a thermometer out there, and SEE how much heat is bouncing off that wall.

Jeri