Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Velma & Sonia

Posted by mauvegirl8 Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 0:02

Do you grow the Crape Myrtle, ' Velma's Royal Delight '? She arrived via UPS today from Florida. This variety is not found locally. Maybe it once was. Driving around, I have seen a vibrant violet near older homes. I already have 'Catawba', 'Zuni', 'Yuma', 'Osage', 'Pink Velour' and 'Rhapsody in Pink'.

I researched online. I even found the real Velma's obituary. It was named after her. I reckon it was growing in her yard.

Any information or photo about Velma's Royal Delight appreciated.

Secondly, I cannot stop staring at Sonia Rykiel today. It is a rose of remarkable beauty. The petals are tight. The availability of this rose is rather limited. I'm delighted to have acquired her in my collection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Velma & Sonia

Sonia Rykiel, France, 1991
named after the French fashion designer

o

Your Sonia is beautiful!

This is the fourth summer for my two Velma’s. I LOVE their color! They live up to their reputation as a slow grower, but bloom very well for me. I believe they are usually marketed as a dwarf, but a local nursery has three planted together in the curve of their entrance which have been there many years and are at least 12 ft tall, so not as dwarf as some, but not giants, either. Mine are a little over 5 ft tall now. Two Catawbas that I planted at the same time are twice their size. It’s drizzling rain and overcast today, so couldn’t get very good pictures. The camera on my phone really didn’t capture the color very well. My pictures make them look much pinker than they are...they are a deep, yet still bright, purple if that makes sense.

Here’s a full bush shot of one…I will probably prune them into tree form when they are taller:

photo vrd0718a_zpse779291f.jpg

Tried to get a good close up, but my camera didn’t like that…again, much more purple than it appears and not as blurry :)

photo vrd0718c_zps7245a92d.jpg

photo vrd0718b_zpsd5988bce.jpg

Here are the two Catawbas planted at the same time for comparison:

photo catawba0718_zps6ed97aff.jpg

o

mauvegirl and pat, beautiful rose and beautiful crape myrtle. I think I may have Catawba and it's stayed fairly small. Great effect flanking the gate.

Sonia Rykiel has that beautiful old rose look, cupped and full of petals. I'm not sure it fits the designer it's named after, who is very avante garde, to say the least.

Ingrid

o

I ran by the nursery at lunch to get pics of mature Velma's for you, but raining heavy now, so again didn't get very good shots and again they are more purple than they appear. There are actually 5 Velma's in a row, rather than three. I'm assuming they would be wider if planted farther apart. Theirs are full of buds, but not as many open as on mine yet...maybe since theirs are partially shaded. Here are the best shots I could get:

photo vrd0718f_zps2b7347d6.jpg

photo vrd0718e_zpsc4754c8b.jpg

o

Oh my gosh! Thank you for the responses. Mostly, for going out of your way to take photos. Velma is more deep violet or purple then Catawba. That's what I need, a more vibrant hue of violet. I like the long driveway and stately gate.
So picturesque.

I planted a miniature rose at the foot of my fledgling Velma. The rose is Peanut Butter & Jelly AKA 'Chipmunk'. It's one of the few roses by a female rose breeder, Lauren M. Chaffin, United States, 1991. Males seem to dominate rose hybridizing.

P.S. Ingrid, I concur about the real Sonia Rykiel. Alas, I love my eccentrics (people, that is).

o

I wasn't familiar with Peanut Butter & Jelly, but looked it up on HMF. Wonderful shading...it will look great with Velma!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here