Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellegallica

Going 'Modern' w/ Vineyard Song

bellegallica
13 years ago

I'm going to give Moore's 1999 "Vineyard Song" a try.

Anyone adore it and can't live without it?

Anyone hate it and set it on fire?

Can you really make wine with it?

Comments (9)

• lucretia1
    13 years ago

How about "meh" for now, but it has potential? Actually, I just pulled up my records for this rose because I thought it was older than it is, so it's really doing pretty well. I got it last spring, and it went through a horribly hot and dry summer with massive amounts of neglect. Most Moore roses that I've tried aren't that great for me; this one has the potential to do well. It has a tiny bit of blackspot right now (I don't spray, and with the weather we've had, if it can blackspot it will) but it's really negligible, especially since it's been covered with weeds. It's got tons of buds on it and a few flowers have opened. I'm underwhelmed by the fragrance so far, but it's just a baby. Could end up being a nice little rose. It's reminding me a lot of a hybrid musk in growth habit.

As for wine, if it's edible, you can make wine out of it. GOOD wine is another question...

• User
    13 years ago

Think of 'Vineyard Song' as being a restrained 'Excellenz von Schubert'. It is every bit an "old fashioned" Polyantha in style, with richly fragrant clusters of bloom in big panicles. It has been touted as a "lavender" rose, but in truth, it is more of a cool pink with occasional leanings towards mauve-ish. Mine has not exceeded 4 X 4 feet, with a somewhat arching form. (Think V-shaped) It blooms with abandon and, most remarkably, it is one of the most disease free roses in my climate: it does not get any of "the big three", even when 'Dorothy Perkins' showers it with Mildew spores, and numerous others constantly splash it with Blackspot spores. I regard 'Vineyard Song' as one of the must-have Polyantha style shrubs.

I don't think you will be disappointed. It will merge happily with a collection of mixed OGRs.

• User
    13 years ago

Addendum: it should be noted that I am reporting on the behavior of a mature shrub that is now 8 years old. It gets only occasional supplemental waterings in July and August, no fertilizer and does not get sprayed for disease prevention.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

This is a tough survior of terrible conditions (dry hot slope) in my garden, so maybe in that respect it isn't so "modern" after all. Should fit in nicely with OGRs.

• jardineratx
    13 years ago

My young Vineyard Song has had a little bit of Chlorosis (as do my other polys), but after adding soil sulfur to the soil a couple of times, it has improved pretty well. Other than that, it is a healthy rose, is very fragrant and is closer to lavender than any of my other roses, so it is definitely a keeper. I agree that it fits in very nicely with OGRs.
    Molly

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think, too, that it looks very old-fashioned, and Polyantha-like. I like that the flowers appear to keep their cupped shape even after they've opened completely.

"Cool pink" sounds great to me. I didn't have my heart set on purple. Purple roses turn pink in the heat here anyway.

I'm happy to see that it resists Blackspot and can take the heat. It will be exposed to plenty of both here.

Lucretia, I hope yours was having a bad day. The description of its fragrance was one of the major selling points.

Thanks everyone

• Molineux
    13 years ago

It is a good garden rose. The growth habit is short to medium in height and spreading: taller than Sweet Chariot but lower than Excellenz von Schubert. The tiny, globular flowers have an old fashioned "look" and are very fragrant. The color is closer to the magenta side of mauve; very rich and royal looking. The blooms appear in tight clusters on thin (but strong) stems. The bush is very dense and covered in teal green disease resistant foliage. Here in Black Spot Hell (i.e. the Mid-Atlantic) it will get some disease but not until late in the season. For clean foliage I have to spray it perhaps two or three times during the entire growing season. It reminds me strongly of the Polyantha class.

Of course not every rose is perfect. VS has three "issues". First it is wicked thorny. What the thorns lack in size they make up with in numbers. This rose has scratched me badly more than a few times. Second, her repeat bloom is poor until the third year when she fully matures. After that you get reliable flushes of bloom from spring till frost. Third, the blooms have a tendency to quickly shatter upon opening. A rather rude finish to an otherwise outstanding performance.

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh bummer about the thorns and quick shattering. I might have thought twice before ordering it. I don't know why, but I was thinking of this as a lightly thorned rose.

I will give it a fair try, though.

• gee_oh_nyc
    10 years ago

Glad to find this string. I received a vineyard song rose from a garden trader in my area and it had a tough time adapting to its new surroundings. It seems to be on the way to making it, though.
    I have two questions:
    1) Has anyone grown this in a container?
    2) What are your best pruning tips?
    I find that it's beautiful on its first flush then it gets scraggly and erratic. I don't know if the container it is in has good enough drainage for it and I'm wondering if that is part of it. Also it seems to want sun but dislike heat...
    Any and all advice on this rose is appreciated.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery