Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Odd bloom on Darcy Bussell

Posted by Dinglehopp3r 7a East TN (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 0:07

Hi all,

So I have been excitedly watching a new crop of buds that recently popped up on my potted Darcy Bussell, the first one bloomed today and it was a little suprise. It is oddly single, still fragrant and lovely, but with a low petal count. This rose lives in a huge pot, with great soil and regular watering, it gets about 5 1/2 hours of morning sun a day because it is on my porch. My only guess would be maybe it isn't getting enough sun? Or is this common behavior for a rose in the middle of summer? I have had this rose since may, I purchased it as a very healthy 4 gallon plant from my local nursery. It has been in the same location the whole time I have had it and has had a pretty regular repeat the whole time, she seems to be a very healthy rose with great re-bloom, one of my best. I am just wondering if this will be a reoccurring thing, I guess I'll just have to wait for the rest of these buds to mature.

Bloom today:
 photo dd66dfc8f9d12b810b5d4ffe049c5ab5_zps45ba62a7.jpg

Previous blooms:
 photo cdcd43d4121c2535197d6c1ca6df367a_zps5ed56b5a.jpg
Thanks for any input!

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 20:29

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Odd bloom on Darcy Bussell

Petal count varies notoriously with the heat. If it has been hot where you are, your petal count can go down dramatically. This is true with any roses that form during hot weather.

o

Heat and maturity of the plant. Less double flowers are very common on younger plants, particularly in high heat. Even established, old timers frequently throw less double, even pure single flowers when growing rapidly due to extreme heat. Kim

o

Funny. But the shape of your red bloom reminds me of the pink rose I have that is marked wrong. Also a DA. I would tag that cane and see if it keeps up that style or not. My whole pink rose has never turned back to a PAOK and I am not sure if it a different variety and just got mixed up in the fields or budding

o

Thank you for your explanations! That makes sense, I have read about and noticed on my own roses shrinking of the flower size during the summer heat, but I have never heard of a flower taking on a different form, just goes to show how much left I have to learn!

Kippy- that is very interesting indeed, I have never heard anything like that happening unless there was severe winter dieback. I would be interested to find out more about the cause of things like that. In my case, it is not just this one stalk, I noticed another bloom opened today, and it has similar symptoms as the other, but is not quite as flat & also a little deeper in color, slightly more like the Darcy I know. Roses are so interesting, they just keep surprising me!

Today's bloom (yesterday's bloom in the background):
 photo 36cf337a609d72b94c4c78e7ea8312b9_zpsdf119cee.jpg

Jessica

o

I have seen a similar thing happen with Gertrude Jekyll. Hot weather is a real stress to roses. It is a wonder they can bloom at all in heat, and many do shut down in the worst days of summer.

Actually, so do I.

Folly

o

My Darcy Bussell (3 or 4 years?) does the same thing when it gets really hot. I like these smaller, cheery blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here