Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for an no-need-to-deadhead repeat bloomer

Posted by echolane SFBayMidPen (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 0:40

I have a spot along a fenceline in a mixed border that could use a colorful repeat bloomer. I want it to look good without deadheading (and to repeat) because it'll be somewhat inaccessible. I'm doing something similar with Leonie Lamesh. She, too, is in the same situation and I couldn't ask for a better rose in this way. But I don't want two of her so I'm looking for something as good. Oh, and minimum thorns would be good too. Suggestions anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for an no-need-to-deadhead repeat bloomer

Do you have a color preference?

That is PRECISELY the usage I intend for two found red Chinas, "Elisabeth's China," and "Magnolia Cemetery China."
I think 'Archduke Charles' might also fill that niche, as will many of the Tea Roses.

Jeri

o

thanks for the good ideas. Archduke Charles looks like a perfect fit for my taste - I especially like roses that are more than one color.
Actually I've considered using Monsier Tillier in this spot against the fence, (I love its various colors). It has completely outgrown its place in another part of my garden, and I've wondered if I could keep it to a more modest size; it has formidable thorns as well (!).
I never find these choices easy!

o

I can only speak for myself -- and I am in a coastal strip in Southern California, where summers are traditionally not hot, fog is common, and winter chill is minimal-to-none.

In that situation, we've found that Teas (AND Chinas) do best for us if allowed to grow to their preferred size -- but, you know, YMMV. If I was telling my next-door neighbor what to do, I'd tell her to plan on them being large, but . . .

Jeri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here