Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Love the new Austin cut roses

Posted by mustbnuts Zone 9 Sunset 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 0:46

I am nuts over Kate and Edith. I know that often cut roses don't do well in the garden, but does anyone know if they will ever be offered for us "regular" gardeners?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Love the new Austin cut roses

Most probably not. At least not under the same names.
Nik

o

Maybe you could try growing them from cuttings?

Here is a link that might be useful: this was an inspiring thread

o

They are copyrighted btw, whatever this info is worth.
Nik

o

But you can still grow cuttings for your own pleasure, right?

Tineke and Veronika were originally released as cut-flower glasshouse roses, but they are now offered as garden plants. Maybe it's just a matter of time.

o

I'm not sure that you can actually, since a rose plant is not sold to you in the first place but I'm not an expert in copyright law :)

On top of copyrighted all Austins are trademarked so even when the copyright runs out the plant cannot be sold under that name.
Nik

o

I'm not sure that you can actually, since a rose plant is not sold to you in the first place but I'm not an expert in copyright law :)

On top of copyrighted all Austins are trademarked so even when the copyright runs out the plant cannot be sold under that name.
Nik

o

In reality it probably wouldn't be a big deal if you managed to propagate one plant for private use, but in theory no plant that is under patent still should be asexually propagated until that patent period has come to an end or you have permission from the breeder/owner of the rights which is usually acquired by paying some sort of fee.

Also of concern is whether the florist David Austins are able to be grown well without intense chemical regimes or perfect greenhouse conditions like a lot of florist HTs. There's probably a reason they aren't made available as plants. Though a cynical person might say it's to "force" customers to buy more cut flowers directly from DA to supplement their DA garden shrubs that aren't great cut flowers for the most part from my experiences.

Jay

o

It's a vast conspiracy!

Maybe word will get back to Mr Austin and he will start looking at releasing garden varieties with better cutting qualities? He might be out there cross-pollenating right now. I see Kordes is offering up 'olde worlde' style cut-flower varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kordes Rosen

o

These Kordes 'outdoor cutroses' are still cutroses destined for the cut flower industry, the way I understand it. They are not retail garden plants.
Nik

This post was edited by nikthegreek on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 1:37

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here