Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Treasure Trail

I've been looking at photos of this rose on HMF for far too long. It really is a wonderful achievement on Paul Barden's part to create Treasure Trail. Like many, I coveted it from afar and hoped it might be available when it made sense to make an order from Rogue Valley. I could no longer take only looking at pictures of it online. I decided to just go for it tonight, and now it will be coming next week.

This will be my first moss, but one I think could reasonably thrive unlike any of the once bloomers or most of the remontant mosses. Has anyone else started with Treasure Trail who was hesitant, but very enthusiastic to venture into the class? I'm quite excited about TT. It's unlike any other rose I've tried with regards to both its mossiness and its unique color. The yellow center is quite charming.

If you happen to read this thread Paul, thank you for your wonderful work. This is the fourth rose of yours I have purchased for myself or another and I hope to try more.

Jay

Comments (21)

• User
    9 years ago

I can't see the name of that rose without having naughty thoughts.

What was Paul THINKING???

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

That is so hilarious! I thought the same thing about the name lol.

• User
    9 years ago

Seemed like a perfectly good name for a rose with lots of "hair" on its hips. ;-)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    9 years ago

I guess I've been walking around with my head in a paper bag. I had to look it up on Urban Dictionary.

• User
    9 years ago

And thank you to Jay for the kind comments. I hope you enjoy the rose immensely. It should perform extremely well in your warm climate.

Paul

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha, I feel the same way florida! I had somehow never heard of the hairier meaning of 'Treasure Trail' till a visit to urban dictionary. And of course Paul! There are so many people on this forum who take joy from your efforts. The least we can do is thank you!

Jay

• User
    9 years ago

:-)
    Given that it's a moss, I'd always wondered...

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Paul

I would love to hear more about which of your roses are best suited for coastal southern California

Wonder if anyone is planting Treasure Trail near Golden Showers just for giggles

• User
    9 years ago

"I would love to hear more about which of your roses are best suited for coastal southern California"

I'm not really able to offer much except general suggestions based on pedigree. For more specific recommendations, you need to talk to people in SoCal who have grown some of my selections.

So....

I would think anything with Tea pedigree ought to fare well ('Won Fang Yon', 'Licorice Tea') and I know in Sacramento, 'Mel's Heritage' is spectacular, which isn't surprising given its parentage ('Crepuscule' is the father). Those three should be sure fire winners in warm, dry climates. I seem to remember a Florida growing raving about 'Won Fang Yon' in his climate. (warm, but more humid as well)

I hope that helps.
    Paul

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul

I have Won Fang Yon on my list.

If my Crepuscule is a year old and only 12" tall, would that mean they would not like my conditions that much? I purchased Crepuscule knowing that Jeri's is only 18". I am hoping more time on my hot hillside will make her happy.

• User
    9 years ago

I think 'Crepuscule' is one of those creepers - needs several years to settle in and really perform. I think 'Won Fang Yon' is likely to fare much better. It has excellent vigor (but doesn't exceed a reasonably sized, rounded shrub)

• professorroush
    9 years ago

Now that Paul has confirmed it, the origin of the name is going to be part of its history. Oh well, now I'm going to have to get this one just so I can get a laugh when talking to local garden clubs.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I really like that watermelon color of 'Won Fang Yon', and have been thinking it might do well here. I'm glad to hear of a good report from Florida- it just moved up a few notches on my wish list...

Thanks,
    Virginia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't have a picture to share at this time, but I just wanted to chime in and mention that Treasure Trail arrived today! It had a few spent blooms and one half of a fresher bloom that gave me a glimpse into what I should expect with this one. Wow! The piney, resinous scent of the mossing is exactly what I was hoping for and the blooms are really something!

Rogue Valley was also kind enough to replace an incorrectly labeled free rose from earlier this year on this order, which I very much appreciated and will remember. I know some people have had difficult experiences with them, but I am completely pleased with Rogue Valley. If space and budget weren't issues, I'd probably end up trying every variety they carried that could grow here.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Photos Jay!

I am very curious to see your new baby

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    9 years ago

I have two plants of Treasure Trail imported as bands from RVR spring 2013. Well into their second season, I am VERY impressed with this little rose. Kippy asked for photos back in July and none were posted. One of my bands is in a flush right now, so here are some pics:

{{gwi:288757}}

{{gwi:288758}}

Note the fairly heavy mossing on the buds.

{{gwi:288759}}

The flowers and colour are very similar to the Austin Rose "Christopher Marlowe" which I grow as well and also like a lot. But Treasure Trail is the superior cultivar for bloom cycle, shrubby habit and vigor as well as the unique moss characteristic on a very remontant plant. Blooms are small, 4 or 5 cms across, but last for 4 or 5 days. The blooms also hold their colour very well, much better than C.M. which fades and tends to wash out in a day or so.

The plant does get some black spot here if not sprayed. But I have sprayed a little more than usual this year with a sulphur based fungicide and most of my roses including this one are clean which is unusual in mid August.

Treasure Trail, in my humble opinion is an outstanding cultivar that just stands out from most of the rest of the pack. I am extremely pleased with my two plants and recommend this rose highly. Did I mention it is surviving and thriving in my cold climate.

Its going to be an incredibly gorgeous plant with a couple of more seasons of growth. A unique and wonderful rose Paul, a standout.

Cheers, Rick

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting those photos, Rick! Lovely! I have yet to get any flowers since the band's arrival, but it is very close to blooming at the moment. It has about a dozen buds. I'll let a few open so I can take some pictures. The mossing is quite strong and inspired my purchase as much as, if not more than the blooms.

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Wow how pretty. I am looking forward to hearing how yours does in our area Jay

• User
    9 years ago

Thank you, Rick!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I haven't followed up in a little bit, but here are some photos of Treasure Trail here:

{{gwi:288760}}

{{gwi:288761}}

The yellow eye is getting more prominent with age. The shrub is healthy with mildew only being a problem around new buds on the heaviest mossing, but it's a mild problem at worst. It's probably a little bigger than the potted plant pictured above now after being in the ground for a few months. I really like Treasure Trail so far and I'm glad to have tried it. Thanks again Paul!

Jay

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Pretty photos Jay!