Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Best Roses for Partial Shade??

I understand the Hybrid Musk roses are best where some shade is involved. I have a long fenceline of roses that are doing great - except for one spot where 6-8 roses are shaded mid-day by 2 large oaks. They get good morning sun and great afternoon sun, but arent performing the way I think they should. I am going to re-locate them next winter and would like to try roses that do well with mid-day shade. I live near Chamblees and they have a good selection, but would like to hear suggestions about which roses might do well with these conditions - they dont have to be musks - I just read that the musks are the most shade tolerant. I need about 6-8 new roses to take the place of ones like Abe Darby, Burgundy Iceberg, FJ Lindheimer, Splendora, Floradora. Clair Matin and Alistair Stella Gray are doing well there. Thanks!

Judith

Comments (16)

• catsrose
    13 years ago

Mr best shade tolerant rose is the hybrid musk Robin Hood. I have planted in several clients' gardens as well as my own. It blooms continuously even in a few hours of sun and dappled shade.

• jimmiesgran
    13 years ago

Felicia and Marie Pavie are doing well in those conditions for me. They replaced an Abe Darby that was languishing there. Really big roses that have done well in shadier spots here are Darlow's Enigma and Sally Holmes.

All are also very fragrant except Sally Holmes.

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

I haven't had my Cecile Brunner long enough to know for sure yet, but Vintage Gardens catalog lists it as somewhat shade-tolerant. In fact, the list of roses with the same tolerance is quite long. It is on page 339, at the back of the book.

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

Where I live in Oakland, California, the best shade tolerant roses in my opinion are the China, Old Garden Tea and Noisettes. All bloom well with only 1/2 day of full sun, where I live, when planted 5 feet from the east or west side of a large building.

China and Tea class roses in my garden produce nearly twice as many months of bloom as a Hybrid Musk in the same garden, in the same amount of shade.
    In Oakland California
    a public rose garden planted with half a dozen cultivars from the China, and also the Tea class produces moderate ( Dec-Jan-Feb) and full bloom in the other months, in half a days partial shade:
    China: Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept Oct. Nov. and early Dec.
    Tea class roses a few bloom in Jan-Feb, all bloom by March, April, May, June, July Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, and early Dec.
    Hybrid Musk: average 3 bloom cycles per year, c. 3 months of bloom total
    Nearly all Noisette and Polyantha roses are as shade tolerant in our latitude as Hybrid Musks.

I spent years counting the days that dozens of rosebushes of each class listed above were not in bloom, and the weeks they were in bloom. I also volunteer at a public rose garden where nearly all the China and Tea class roses are planted in partial shade.

Best wishes for a beautiful garden
    Hope this is of some help,
    Luxrosa

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Oh Kevin. That is just edible.
    Renee

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I think Luxrosa is right. Mutabilis, Reve d'Or, Mmr. Charles and Spice perform quite well for me with only partial sun. So does the Bourbon, Souvenir de la Malmaison.

Ingrid

• zeffyrose
    13 years ago

Kevin--that is a great picture------Clair Matin is doing very well in my shady garden-----she has been blooming all summer----
    Florence

• User
    13 years ago

oooh, made up my mind on the spot to order Felicia this year!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a Felicia growing in another part of the garden - it is a young bush that has only had a few blooms - now I cant wait to see it mature - and may get another for this shadier area. I can get Robin Hood at the Antique Rose Emporium, and some of the others at Chamblees. I am not totally set on musks....so am glad to know there are others that might fit this spot. Would love to see any other photos......
    Thanks!
    Judith

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Judith, silly me, I was getting ready to give you my list when it struck me that blooming is the criteria. Whoops! I have Parade, Cornelia, Mrs B R Cant, Francois Juranville and one Louis Philippe in mostly shade. They're all green and healthy, but I have nothing to compare their blooming to. Being young climbers, P (3rd year) and FJ (1st year) may just be showing their youth, but they're supposed to tolerate shade. My Cornelia is healthy (major accomplishment since other HMs are now gone due to this issue) but she hasn't bloomed a whole lot with maybe 2 hours of late afternoon sun after a year in the ground. Amazingly, MBRC did bloom even on her backside which is in dark shade. Unfortunately, the whole bush is now in shade. I'm sure she would bloom more in sun. Must trim some trees! Clotilde Soupert does real well in a lot of shade - don't know exactly how much sun she gets. Maybe 4 - 5 hours.

Sherry

• kevin_mcl
    13 years ago

Apart from the partial shade thing, what I most like about Felicia is that it is 'reasonably' disease resistant and produces oodles of blooms that waft for yards on all sides
    {{gwi:288823}}

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Good night, Kevin!! What do you feed her???

Sherry

• kevin_mcl
    13 years ago

Hi Sherry,
    The past couple of years I have been using a controlled/slow release fertilizer (similar to Osmacote) called Feed-all Slow Release Plant Food which is manufactured in Northern Ireland by Westland. 50 grams per square meter in March which is supposed to last 6 months in our climate. NPK is 14-5-28 -a ratio of 2.8-1-5.6 which seems to be a little ambitious on the K side - but seems to work very well none-the-less.

Kevin

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

Well, I didn't expect your actual formula, but it's very good to know it. I have read that Florida soil can be deficient in K, so this is interesting. I wonder...

Sherry

• antiqueroselady
    13 years ago

I live in the Houston, Texas area and Felicia didn't perform well for me for some reason. Perhaps because the one I bought was grafted, not on its own roots. Penelope, Buff Beauty (in a pot) and Danae (own-root) did well. The best shade roses I know of are: Pink Pet (Caldwell Pink); Danae (Hyb. musk); Mme Alfred Carriere (climber); Cecile Brunner; Knockout; Confetti; Autumn Delight; Echo; Robert's Wondrous Ruthie; Ballerina, Moonlight; Pax; Bouquet Parfait; Excellenz von Schubert; Ellen Poulsen; Abigail Adams; and for deep, deep shade: Chuckles, New Face, Lyda Rose and White Pet and Gartendirecktor Otto Linne.(most are available through Rogue Valley Roses). Good Luck!