Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Duchesse de Brabant

Well, I finally dug up Duchesse de Brabant.

I just couldn't bear looking at her anymore.

{{gwi:288852}}

Thrips on Duchesse de Brabant.

It didn't help, that she was the first shrub rose I saw, as I walked up the garden path.

Trouble is, it has left a big hole in the border, which now, looks just as bad.

I still am not sure, what to replace her with, in spite of the suggestions that so many of you have given me.

I need a rose that is pink or purple, with a strong perfume

and that makes a small shrubby plant which is repeat or continuous flowering.

It will be in full sun all day.

Belinda's Dream would be perfect, but it is not available in Europe.

Help!

Daisy

Comments (9)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I know one which WON'T MAKE THE CUT, and looks like the your picture: Frederic Mistral - or Mr. Thrips in the spring. Now he becomes Mr. Japanese Beetle. He might becomes Mr. Grasshopper in the fall.

Check out International Herald Tribune, which Kim Rupert in a hot and alkaline soil climate, recommended.

I love my "Flower Carpet Coral". It beats Knock-out in being drought-resistant. I don't water it for the past 6 years, and it's still blooming now at 100 degrees, full sun. Check out the pic. I posted in HMF.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I forgot that you ask for strong perfume, which is also my criteria for buying roses. Kim Rupert created "Too Cute" with a strong musk and sweet fragrance. Its HMF tons-of-bloom pic. at Cliff's High Desert Garden looks really good.

• buford
    11 years ago

Hi daisy, my DDB has the same problem and I also planted her right by my front door!!!

I am experimenting with a new treatment for thrips, it's a culture that you spray on and supposedly it kills the thrips but nothing else. I was only able to spray it once, and now it's too hot. I have the stuff in the fridge (it's fungible) and will spray again later this year and early next spring. It's called Naturalis. I'm not sure if it's available in Europe, I got it from Rosemania.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

I'm ready to strangle my DdB which has been an underperformer for most of her three years despite all the water, fertilizer and frustration. She does not like me and her neighbor, Mme. Schwartz, who used to like me, sulks right along with her. If you can grow the small Bourbons (since I can they should do well for you) I can recommend Leveson-Gower or, even better, the beautiful Mme. Dore, which should fulfill all your criteria. Potter and Moore is also gorgeous, if you can find it, especially good when on its own roots (supposedly stays smaller and blooms more than the grafted). Ditto for Chaucer. I've heard nothing but praise for Young Lycidas, but don't know about its eventual size. Harlow Carr is beautiful and might do well for you since you don't seem to live in a heat trap like mine. Pretty Jessica stays small, is perfumed, and seems to have no faults. I love my La France, small, beautiful flowers and lovely perfume. Belinda's Dream gets to be a very big girl so would probably not be suitable anyway, if that's any consolation for not being able to obtain an otherwise lovely rose. Good luck Daisy!

Ingrid

• GatorRose
    11 years ago

Forgive the hijacking of this thread, however this form of controlling thrips is well worth the interruption.

An unconventional method of helping to control thrips, is to use a red or blue solo cup, paint the outside of the cup with STP motor additive, turn the pot upside down on a stake near the rose of concern. I know this sounds wild...but trust me it works, the thrips stick to the STP and the cups if you hide them behind or in between bushes doesn't look too bad!

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thank you, GatorRose, for that great tip. I'll try that on the thrips which are not eaten by the wasps. Are there tricks to kill Japanese Beetles, which do far more damage than thrips? Thanks for any info.

• jerome
    11 years ago

Daisy, get Young Lycidas - it's a great rose. Purplish, fragrant and wonderful.

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to you all for your suggestions.
    I think I will try Young Lycidas there. Hopefully it won't get too big for the space.
    I am also thinking of trying Munstead Wood in part shade.
    It has received some good reviews here, even from people in hot gardens.
    Daisy

• jerome
    11 years ago

Munstead Wood is a champ too. I have it planted in a very hot western exposure and it blooms constantly. If you have room for Munstead and young Lycidas, get them both, they're two of the best I have grown