Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacian_gw

Confusion about Rose bush width/advice on where to plant

stacian
11 years ago

Hi all,

This forum seems like my second home these days, lol. Now that I've gone and gotten myself some roses, I need some feedback on where to plant them. I'll list what I have for y'all that need planting.

I need to know two things

1) how wide do these get when planted as climbers? Can the width be controlled with pruning?

2) How shade tolerant are they considering I live in Socal? Heritage, Eden, Red Eden, and Barbara Worl I've heard appreciate some afternoon shade or do surprisingly well in shade here because of weather.

I've heard that because of our location, plants can tolerate more shade here than if we lived in a colder climate. There are two iffy spots next to our front gate that has a wide 4' arbor that I would love to plant two climbers but they need to be pretty shade tolerant. I think sunlight about 4 hours and the rest of the time, dappled shade or bright shade.

My plan is to plant one of the larger plants - perhaps the Red Eden in the iffy spot since it's older and has more growth and the bands in full sun for them to grow quicker and better.

5 gallon pots from Otto & Sons

- Red Eden. Small cluster of unopened blooms

- Angel Face. About 6 blooms and the best smell out of all the roses that I saw. Lavender/mauve

- Brother Cadfael. More than a dozen blooms in various stages. Smelled great even in the heat. The Regan Nursery website claims this can tolerate only 4 hours of sun. How wide will Brother Cadfael get? I'd love to keep it around 3-4 feet wide

In bands from Heirloom:

- Heritage

- Eden - mine has a giant bloom already on my tiny band! Can I make this a pillar rose? If so, will it only bloom at the tips?

I also bought La Reine, Tea Clipper and Queen of Sweden but I know exactly where those will go

Bands from Rogue Valley - these are smaller and less healthy than my bands from Heirloom

- Heritage (I know I couldn't resist but I think they sent me something other than Heritage *sigh* and now I've sent them pics to solve this problem)

- Barbara Worl. I've heard so much about this rose that I had to snatch it up. How big does she get? Just big tall or big wide?

Thanks everyone!

Comments (6)

• catsrose
    11 years ago

I'm sure people will check in with specifics, but here is the link to helpmefind roses site, which has info on thousands of roses:

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Sizing and position I will leave to someone more coastal, but I can alert you to the probability of RUST with Red Eden and Heritage. Both have been extreme rust issues everwhere I've encountered them here in SoCal. Angel Face has severe vigor issues (it has none) and can black spot very badly. All three of these will benefit from the best air circulation with the warmest, driest air you can provide them, whereever those conditions can be provided in your situation. Kim

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Hmmm--thought I just posted a response, but it seems to have disappeared. So let me try again.

I haven't grown most of the roses you list--except Angel Face (terrible disease magnet) and Eden Climber. Yes, Eden Climber can be grown on a pillar and will bloom along the length of the cane IF you wrap the canes around kinda barberpole fashion around the pillar (and tie the canes in place), but you need to do that while the canes are fairly young, or they will get to thick and rigid. If you let it grow straight up, you will get blooms only on the ends--10 ft in the air.

I grow my Eden Climber in mostly full sun. Don't know how it would tolerate shade, but if it gets at least 6 hours of sun a day, I wouldn't think it would object to several hours of shade also.

It does have sharp thorns--if that matters to you.

Here is my Eden. Not the best picture, but you get the general idea of Eden on a pillar.
    {{gwi:288856}}

Good luck with your planning.

Kate

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Grandmother's Hat will be a tough, vigorous rose for you, and generous of bloom. You might occasionally see some blackspot, in a particularly wet, warm spring, but it is otherwise very much a disease-free rose here.

(For this reason, my husband plants it EVERYWHERE.)

You may plant it and just leave it alone, and it will grow easily 7 ft. tall, but only maybe 4 ft. wide. Wider at the top, narrower at the bottom.

You might, instead, espalier it along a fence, as a moderate climber to 6-7 ft.

OR you can prune it like a Grandiflora, in which case it will make a 4-to-5-foot round and tall BALL of a plant, with blooms all over.

The rose doesn't care. She'll do what you want.
    You will have maximum bloom if you deadhead after each flush, but for the first couple of years, I would not deadhead HARD. I'd just snap off blooms, until the plant is well-established.

The only thing she DOESN'T much like is hot, dry, Santa Ana winds, which will crisp her blooms in a nanosecond. Remove them, and she'll make more.

We grow her in morning sun, afternoon sun, all-day sun -- in great air circulation, and less-good air-circulation. She doesn't seem to care. We even grow her under a huge seedling avocado tree, where she blooms away like mad.

Jeri

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

stacian--I just modified my width of BC on your other thread. I have grown BC in two different locations. One grew beautifully with a northern exposure and some shade--not sure how many hours of sun, though. Even with shade it got huge and bloomed a lot. The blooms lasted better with that exposure than my current BC which has somewhat more sun--eastern exposure, but grows in front of a heat reflecting wall. It is freestanding and doesn't lean against the wall at all. Diane

• stacian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow Diane! Thanks for measuring. Since you're in zone 7b and I'm out here in Socal, I'm almost scared about where to put it now considering how large it might get with no possible dieback. I definitely have the space for it to grow sideways - I should take a picture gosh darn it.

Or I guess I could put Grandmother's Hat in a smaller space than I thought since it doesn't grow that wide as a climber.