cupshaped_roses
13 years ago

My little "Nook" court yard to my front door:

{{gwi:289122}}

A mixed border along the hedges in the "Nook":

{{gwi:289124}}

Curved rose path along my afternoon patio:

{{gwi:289126}}

Afternoon patio sheltered by Mme Alfred Carriere on a arch (Miracously didn't freeze back in this long hard winter - it has done that before ...) but now it will bloom until oktober ...:

{{gwi:289128}}

Sorry I did not have timed to edit or crop the pics - I will rather enjoy my garden right now. But some wanted to see some pics ...

Comments (22)

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm impressed! Your garden looks fabulous!

Not sure if you know this, most digital cameras have a movie clip function. I like to record the moment by making small movie clips of my garden because it's always nice to look back at them during the winter months to hear the sounds of the wind blowing and birds chirping.

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TY Jimmy - thought I better post some pictures. And I do think my camera has a video function too - but never used it. And the birds are chirping away and busy - busy eating aphids - on the roses. I will however upgrade my camera soon - to get one with full HD Video and get a sturdy tripod - so I can make some pruning videos - and share some gardening tips on my blogs (But sadly I got assaulted and mugged and have not felt up to blogging - even though I finally recorvered from surgery and is doing so well) - but heck I will carry on and enjoy gardening ... Hope you are doing well down under?

• mendocino_rose
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful.

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

aw, why should you have to edit or crop them? These are lovely just how they are and we don't need photoshop, we just want to enjoy your plants. :)

This is so gorgeous. Thanks for taking more pictures. I just love it so much. All the roses are so romantic growing together!

• Terry Crawford
    13 years ago

Just fabulous, Niels! Thanks for sharing; I really enjoyed looking at these with my morning coffee. The colors blend so well together....
    -terry

• fogrose
    13 years ago

So beautiful. I love thickly planted gardens that use every inch of space.

Diane

• judith5bmontreal
    13 years ago

More gorgeous roses - what a paradise your garden must be.

That's so terrible Niels, being mugged! Was your surgery a separate thing, or was it related to the mugging? I'm glad you're on your way back to good health now. Having such a beautiful garden will certainly help in the healing...

Judith

• roseberri, z6
    13 years ago

I am unspeakably jealous! teasing aside, your gardens are what I dream about! ( and sadly the reality is nowhere close to this!) Thank you for sharing.
    roseberri

• sherryocala
    13 years ago

This is what's called an embarrassment of riches. Aren't you embarrassed, Niels???

So lovely. Get well - again - soon!

Sherry

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TY my rose forum friends - I have tried to get the most out a my small garden areas. Real estate is expensive here and these duplexes serves me and my tenant well and what I could afford.
    Space is not everything - but how we choose to use and what and how we grow - as long as we are happy with the results. We jsut take an area and little by little connected them and suddenly have a garden. Today I have a much clearer picture of how to design a garden according to the needs, cost and budget and not least time people have to maintin it.

I will rather have 20 of my favorite rosebushes adn care well for them than having 200 that feels like chore and I allways feel - behind.

I do make use of every square inch of soil - I hate to weed and if the ground is covered with plants - not many weeds are going to thrive there and will be easy to pull.

Try to make the most out of what you have and enjoy the process - roses take time to mature and there are good season and bad seasons. And make it your garden - to satisfy your needs and dreams.

While I am not finacially well of I do feel blessed to have a garden like this. The fragrance of roses filling the air is fantastic these nice summerdays and really love it.

Yes Judith my surgery was earlier - I wrote about in a post under the section - conversation. I am doing so great! But It was a bad experience to be robbed - I feel angry that such people exists ... but I have to carry on and let it behind me. And they have been caught, there are good witnesses and I have to go to court.

• judith5bmontreal
    13 years ago

Yes Niels, I can understand your anger at these horrible people, but I'm glad that you are trying to put this experience behind you. Good luck in court - at least they have been caught and will be punished.
    Judith

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

How glad I am to "know" you, Niels! Thanks for posting, Gean

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

How beautiful your garden is! Absolutely stunning! I'm so glad you posted pictures. I can imagine that sitting there admiring the beauty would be a favorite pasttime, and one that is well deserved. You have designed an enticing garden - well done!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

For some reason I became very emotional and almost teary-eyed when I saw these pictures and the ones in your other thread, Niels. One reason of course is that you've created an incredible garden with the most breathtaking and lush roses. You're right, it is perfect. But I also know from statements you've made here and there that your life has not always been an easy one, to say the least, and it makes me happy that you have this magical place to turn to. May your life be equally peaceful and beautiful.

Ingrid

• le_jardin_of_roses
    13 years ago

Tis a LOVELY garden you have, sir.

Juliet

13 years ago

Had to take another look at your two postings, Niel. It was actually even more beautiful the second time around. What I absolutely love is the curved rose path - what a richness of color and superb rose selections.

Ingrid

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all your lovely comments on my small garden - it warms my heart that you like it too. I posted the Pics in 2 threads so they would load faster. The weather is very warm here (90F) ... and I really enjoy the early mornings and the afternoons different places in my garden. I truly take time to smell the roses and enjoy my garden this year. The fragrances of all the roses is outstanding and all I had dreamt roses could offer ... and is healing. (True Ingrid - I have had some adversity in life) - but it has made me more sensitive and stronger - and I live well.

Many times I have wished that I lived in warmer climate - and I always imagined that - California - would be close to heaven for roses - but I realize now the PROS of growing roses here (good clayish soil, good rainfall and it is very few days in a year that the temps are above 90F and the sun so strong that the roses FRY. And roses do not grow very big here (Frost and less sun intensity limits their size - it means I can grow many more roses - even if I have just smaller areas to garden - In California I would have to choose ... So my illusion of how easy it is to grow roses in California is gone ... It is hard to find anything as lush green and beautiful as here - on these wonderful summer days - where I regain my strength and get a new sense of purpose and direction - now that my garden has peaked. Also do not have as many garden design jobs lately - but some hard maintaince jobs. And creative writing is a skill I am working on. At least I make half sense in my native language ...LOL.

I am so blessed to be able to grow all these roses and grow most of them well - each of them are so interesting and so different and the colours of OGRs do not clash - I have however tried to plant more dark "Red" Austins and HPs even modern shrub roses like Burgundy Ice and they slowly blend in well among the Old Garden Roses - in a year or 2 they will make more of an impact.

I all ways have one of my 3 roses benches ready for friends dropping by and they are owerwhelmed by my garden too - one friend said today - but it is almost too much! I said NO - - just wait until next year - I take out some roses and plant some more perennials (later and long -flowering Hardy geraniums) and Dark Leaved Perennials and some smaller ornamental grasses. He shook his head ... And the whole neighbourhood is smitten by my roses and are working on arches and want advice to create the same effects - and I will help them - because I will be able to enjoy these roses too - in a few years. Just saw the weather forecast - we are in for so very warm summerdays - I will take picures of roses in mine and others gardens the next days. This might truly be the best season ever ... next year it might rain and the roses turn into ugly brown mush ... like we heard it did for some forum members Celeste (last year) and Thorngrower. But we all try to make the best of what we have and hope for the best weather when our garden peaks. May all of you enjoy the summer and this season too ...

• wren_garden
    13 years ago

I don't know what to say that has not already been said most beautifully by the others for this and the first tread. Thank you! It's inspiration like yours that sustains me when I struggle with all the care for my roses (pests,disease etc.)I hold the image of the few such gardens in my minds eye to keep me going. Thank you again for adding such beautiful energy to the dream.

13 years ago

Niels, I don't understand this love affair with your climate and locale. Southern California is just so superior, especially where I live. Growing roses in soil that has the consistency and moisture content of cracked concrete is pure joy. Every once in a while a bush will reward me with a spindly bloom - and yes don't forget the earthquakes (last week) and the wildfires (coming soon). I think you're just jealous!

Ingrid

• roseberri, z6
    13 years ago

Niels, your garden is so lush and I have a million questions I'd like to ask you. You should write a book with plenty of pictures of your lovely garden and help on how to get the look and what all the plants names are! I would buy it! So;... is that Constance Spry on the arch?
    roseberri

• bettyd_z7_va
    13 years ago

Niels,

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these pictures.

I've been feeling so down lately that I haven't even lurked. Had to dig up and destroy a Queen Elizabeth that had belonged to my deceased sister because of RRD. My DH did it for me because I couldn't bear to.

The only care the other roses have gotten is watering because of temps consistantly over 100 and no rain.

I came here and saw these wonderful roses that you shared on my birthday and what a present they are.

Yes, Please write a book and include all of your pictures of your garden. I need it. I have always had my spirit fed when I visited your blog and enjoyed your posts here.

What beauty. Gives me hope and the desire to keep working on building up my rocky soil so that one day I may have a tiny piece of what you've created in abundance.

Thank you.

Now I have to go find Part I and drool some more.

Betty

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

TY Wren-garden, Roseberri and Betty. I am glad I posted the pictures even though they were taken in a hurry with out much thought - but they had to do. I hope that you will keep working towards your gardening goals and visions too. It can be a lot of work but it can be also be very rewarding when we do the best we can with the climate, soil and areas we have. It is always nice to be inspired and I do get lots of inspiration here on the forums too and try to adjust it so it suits me and my style of gardening.
    I have a rose collectors garden. And from a garden design perspective - these are not in or much in voque these days. I do use roses most of my clients garden - but they are more gardens with a plan - and garden with some roses - than rose-gardens. So I do not plan on writing a book - I will rather start up writing on my blog - where I feel I write about the roses I like and how I use them and companion plants in my garden. But I have not had much energy for blogging for a while - even though I have a few articles ready and jsut need to rezize the pictures. And hope people will like those.

Yes - Roseberri - the roses in the middle of the arches are "Constance spry" - she has been wonderfull this year and many neighbours and guest rave about it. A lateflowering clematis "Polish spirit" will soon replace the roses from early august to oktober. I grow awakening on the wall to the left and a still small Mme Alfred carriere planted in the corner will climb the arch on this nortwest corner. New dawn is the very vigorous rose to the right.

Sorry to hear you lost a rose that held a special significance for you Betty. I hope you find a new one to replace it with - because we do carry on in spite of loses in our lives.

And Yes I do think you live a wonderful place Ingrid. Our soil sounds much the same - before I amended mine with coarse sand/gravel and plenty of compost and aged manure - when I prepared the beds in 2 feet depths - before planting anything. I was hard grey concrete soil - and now after nearly 10 years I can fairly easy dig holes ... and the soil looks more black. But I have to keep adding compost every year too. Californians have my deepest sympathy and I hope the "big one" will wait a few decades more ... so yes my bubble has been burst ... that soil is hard to work with and the sun relentless. But you are doing the best you can with your garden too ... And it is going well even if it has been trial and error - but that is how most of us learned.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus