Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Veilchenbleu Pruning - Help

Posted by jardineratx 9tx (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 8:32

I have a young Veilchenbleu rose that will be in its third spring flush this coming spring and I want to maximize its bloom, but I don't know when or how to prune this rose. None of my other climbers are once-bloomers so this is unknown territory for me. This rose has really taken off this spring/summer and is totally healthy, so there are no damaged or diseased branches to remove. It is growing against a six-foot privacy fence and my hope is to train it horizontally along an approximate 16 foot length of the fence.
Thanks,
Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Veilchenbleu Pruning - Help

You don't need to prune it, unless there is dead wood that needs removing. Your idea about training it horizontally along the fence is perfect - that will make it bloom more. I would take the first long canes and tie them horizontally along the fence, as low down as you can. Then eventually new canes will emerge along the length of that one, and you do the same thing.

My veilchenblau is over 10 years old, and I don't think I have ever pruned an inch of it. It runs along a fence, and is also going up into a nearby tree (I am a "laissez faire" gardener).

Jackie

o
RE: Veilchenbleu Pruning - Help

Jackie, thank you so much for your input. I really appreciate it and I'm going to follow your advice. The canes on this rose are limber and thornless so tying it up will be easy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here