Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Is Wisely 2008 a slow starter bloom wise?

My own root Wisely2008 bush is big and healhy, gets plenty of sun, and has had a total of about 7 or 8 blooms in its entire almost 2 year life span. I'm wondering if it is one of those slow starters. However, I'm losing patience and am wondering if it's even worth the wait. It doesn't have very many favorite votes on HMF. Since rose growing space is at a premium I'm about ready to remove it. I have other roses waiting in the wings, but thought I'd ask on here first.

The bush is in the foreground. The color you see directly behind it is from bougainvilleas ...

{{gwi:289984}}

What do you think?

Comments (15)

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I have a two year old Wisley 2008, grafted.

It has not produced many blooms for me either, however the Austins can take 5 years to mature, so I don't know how prolific a bloomer it will be down the road....

I love the sweet fragrance and the blooms are lovely as well. For me, this seems like a rose that's worthy of waiting for, however, there is no certainty as to how it will be in the future.

Some of my other Austins have had better repeat bloom as they matured.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I just looked it up on the David Austin site--what a lovely rose! The posters (photos and comments) seem to think it is very good on rebloom--calling it a nearly continuous blooming rose. Unless it started developing disease problems, I'd give it at least 3 years to start performing with some maturity. Heck, I'd probably give it 4 or 5 years, if needed. It certainly is lovely.

Kate

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Krista and Kate. You are probably right. It was only released in the US in 2010 so there really hasn't been enough time for anyone here to know how it performs. It was released in the UK in 2008. Guess I should give it another year (or two ... sigh) and then Krista and I, as well as others, can come back and let others know then.

If anyone else has experience with it I'm all ears.

• User
    11 years ago

no, its a rubbish rose. Many, many complaints to DA followed the release of this rose although I believe it was meant to be an improved version.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Camp! Can you recall some of the specific complaints?

• User
    11 years ago

Initially, Wisley was released along with another three roses named for RHS gardens - Wisley was quickly withdrawn and Wisley 2008 was a replacement...but unfortunately still carries many of the faults of the earlier rose - a habit of throwing long ungainly canes (sound familiar) with stingy blooming and a very slow repeat.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Camp, much appreciation!

I poised my question on HMF's comment section to a person from Spain who said it was a continuous bloomer. If I get a reply I'll let y'all know.

• jumbojimmy
    11 years ago

I'm interested in growing this rose... any changes to all those comments above? Is this rose still no good? I'm planning to replace my claire austin with this rose..

• Anyi
    10 years ago

I have Wisley 2008 planted 2 years ago. It has been blooming profusely for me. This year is the big year, 5' tall and 4' wide and covered with buds. The blossom is 3' across, smaller than other David Austin roses I have. I think it is a good rose to grow. No disease and very healthy.

• Roxana *** ZN 5 Indianapolis IN ***
    6 years ago

Any pics to update???

• clarion2
    6 years ago

We've had a Wisley in (grafted) since 2012. To date, nothing worth mentioning, let alone photographing...

• Matt C. Deos (9a/south Louisiana)
    last year

I put two in at home last fall, Fortuniana grafts from the last of K and M's DA inventory (when DA corporate yanked the licenses of other sources of their roses)

My jury is out. Gotta say the blooms are OK so far but the plants are lanky and gangly things... Definitely the Octopus Arms and not even as nice a bush shape as gangly insanities like Lady of Shalott. Hoping it fills in more and blooms more than ive been getting but the more i check and research the more it sounds like id do better shovelling them in favor of something thatd appreciate the real estate more.

9a Gonzales Louisiana

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    last year

I didn't keep the rose. It just wasn't worth it to me when there are so many great repeat blooming roses. I had a lot of Fortunianna grafted roses, but I don't remember if Wisely was one of those or not.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Thanks for responding roselee - so glad to hear from you after 9 years! What are your favorite roses in your garden now?

Jackie

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor