Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climate Effects, Abraham Darby

Posted by rideauroselad 4b/5a Ont (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 10:43

I took the following images of my plant of Abraham Darby, which is known as a very large shrub or climber for most of you. Not so in zone 4b where it is only marginally hardy. Mine grows in a bed where it gets covered with snow from the snowblower all winter, which is likely the only reason it survives here.

This summer, it seems to be very happy, I've been spraying occasionally with sulphur and feeding regularly. Abe is blooming well and putting on nice new growth. However, he is less than a metre high ( 3 ft. ) perhaps only 60 cms ( 2 ft ) in my climate.

Thought some images of this notoriously rampant rose growing as a demure shrub might interest those who grow him in warm places. His growth is lax here, almost polyantha like. But he is a beauty this year. Heres some pics:

photo photo1_zps1b50cd56.jpg

Close up;

Abraham Darby 60cm shrub photo photo21_zps70c45a16.jpg

and, from afar.

A rather good illustration of the differences climate can make in particular cultivars I think.

Cheers, Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climate Effects, Abraham Darby

How lovely!

o

Large or small, those gorgeous blooms still make an impact. The flower bed you've made is really beautiful!

Ingrid

o

Gee, those hollyhocks look smashing! What a sweet little bed.

o

Abe and the hollyhocks are beautiful. I also grow that rose. Here in the Pacific Northwest, he is about 5' tall by 5' wide. I love that rose. He has a little BS as I don't spray. Too many little critters around. Both the 4 legged variety and the 2 legged grandbabies.
2 years ago I planted golden celebration and its proving to be a winner also.

o

Beautiful pictures! Abe was my favorite in Pa. He was only about 4 ft tall but had this one branch that keep shooting up and looking rediculous. But I loved its blooms so ! Your holly hocks are fantastic. Are they from seed or plants you bought? I've only had one bloom for me. Interested in trying again! :)

o

Hi lilyfinch,

The Hollyhocks are all self seeded plants. I've had a love, hate relationship with Hollyhocks. They are very susceptible to Hollyhock rust and the leaves are often shredded by earwigs and other critters.

This year however, I am definitely in the love phase. The difference is I started spraying my roses with lime sulphur, the same stuff you mix with dormant spray oil. You can also use it on its own diluted in water. So since I am spraying the roses, I have been taking some of the lower leaves off the Hollyhocks and giving them a good spray as well. You have to get the bottoms of the leaves to kill the rust spores. So this year, we near the end of July and I have no rust on them and the sulphur drench also seems to have deterred the leaf chewers.

Double jackpot!!! So now, I have both glorious roses and gorgeous Hollyhocks.

Try the Hollyhocks again and if you are not averse to spraying once or twice a season, I think they will do wonderfully for you.

Cheers, Rick

o

Your Abraham Darby is lovely. I am surprised you can grow it there at all. Well done!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here