Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Green Cure as fungicide for mildew

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

I don't have mildew on roses in zone 5a, usually humid & rainy. But we have a drought this year, roses still don't have mildew due to my watering them overhead with hard well water high in lime.

I was checking on "Stan the Roseman" in zone 5a Colorado to search for hardy rose. He mentioned "Green Cure" worked really well for mildew in his dry climate. "Green Cure" is made out of potassium bicarbonate, and this is 25 to 35 percent more effective than sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). EarthCo., the soil-testing company stated that 1/3 of soil are tested deficient in potassium - necesssary for blooms, strong stem, and to fight diseases.

I also found that lime, or calcium carbonate in water has an inverse relationship with potassium: it drives down potassium level, thus the "octopus canes" with no bloom for Austins in my garden. A farm report documents highest yield in soybean as the result of spreading sulphate of potash and lime pellets together, which beats the yield produced by fungicide alone.

Below is the link to "Green Cure" for mildew:

Here is a link that might be useful: Potassium bicarbonate for mildew

Comments (4)