Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jody_gw

Favorite Pink Shrub, Buck or Floribunda

jody
15 years ago

There are several under performing bushes in my pink garden that are going to go. I'm looking for replacements that perform well. By that I mean I am looking for replacements along the lines of Pink Gruss an Aachen, The English Miss, Country Dancer, Hawkeye Bell, Country Squire, Belinda's Dream. These roses have decent disease resistance, are vigorous growers and productive bloomers.

If its been hot and rainy and I'm behind on spraying.... I'll walk through the garden and these roses still look good, while others are leafless and puny. Leafless and puny are going bye-bye.

Comments (37)

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Simon Estes is a sport of Country Dancer. I don't have a picture ready of it, but to me it looks just like Country Dancer.

Sophy's Rose is pretty.

{{gwi:290687}}

Earth Song is very pretty

{{gwi:290688}}

Prairie Breeze is also a good choice

{{gwi:290689}}

Sammy

• stefanb8
    15 years ago

I really love 'Souvenir de la Malmaison', so I would expect 'Souvenir de la Malmaison Rouge' to be a fantastic rose unless it has some unique problem... unfortunately, I haven't grown it myself, but SdlM can be wonderful around here.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

I was going to suggest Earth Song also--but then I decided that while she meets your criteria and I like her very much, she is not exactly my favorite (but still a good choice).

I like Austin's Jubilee Celebration better, but maybe she isn't as disease-resistant as you want. She fairly good on that score, however, and has the most wonderful lighter pinkish blooms with a hint of salmon and a touch of yellow at the base. She is gorgeous.

Another one you might consider--at least I am (I've been looking for an Austin that meets all your criteria)--is Huntington Rose: full, deep pink blooms, attractive rounded shrub about 4x3, nice fragrance, and supposedly "particularly healthy"--as in good disease-resistance. I think I will be ordering this one for spring planting.

Good luck in your search.

Kate

• steelrose
    15 years ago

Pretty, pretty pinks--Savoy Hotel (a very floriferous floribunda), Home and Garden (a Kordes rose I bought on a whim and now love), and Aunt Honey (a sturdy workhorse Buck bloomer) all meet your description and flourish in my no-spray garden.

Good luck,

Colleen

• steelrose
    15 years ago

Pretty Lady, a bloom machine.

Colleen

• jody
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I also have two Quietness (cause I bought one and DH bought on on the same visit to RU). Both of them are in outstanding condition, but are long since settled in another garden.

I'll even go for a largish bush, remove two and replace with one.

• paddlehikeva
    15 years ago

I second the nomination for Pretty Lady and will add Bonica. I gave my daughter Bonica as a gift several years ago. Her garden is nearly pure sand with all day direct sun. Bonica is a healthy, bloom machine all season.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF for Bonica

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

I am absolutely SMITTEN with Lovely Fairy which is not only resistant and everblooming, but shade-tolerant as well. I also love Distant Drums which is pink sometimes, and then tan, mauve, apricot...sometimes all on the same day! I have to pick off a few spotty leaves now & then, yes. How 'bout Mystic Beauty or Souvenir de St. Ann's? Both are sports of SDLM and seem to be in constant bloom (and hey, its July who could ask for more?)

• jody
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have Distant Drums in another garden. Sourvenir de St. Ann's is already in the pink garden. I guess I should have given a more complete list.....

I don't require "no spray", I just require a bush that is reasonably healthy, vigorous and productive. Kaitlyn Ann is planted next to Hawkeye Bell. Hawkeye Bell looks wonderful even though he was moved twice and whacked nearly to the ground by a falling tree. Kaitlyn Ann is pitiful even though she has great location, good care and reasonable fungal protection. I don't want pitiful anymore. Its a waste of my time and perfectly good garden soil, not to mention anti-fungals, alfalfa meal, fish meal, cottonseed meal, etc.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

There are so many good pink ones! Some people say Bonica is ho hum but to me it is very charming, and I agree, it's a good bloomer. Gets a little bs. I like Country Dancer and Earth Song very much but it's hard to beat Carefree Beauty for bloomingness. Pappu's Carefree Wonder is stupendous..and the blooms really are pretty with the white reverses. Belinda's Dream is a must have.
    Carefree Beauty, small in comparison to some:

{{gwi:273067}}

Linda

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Linda, is that Carefree Beauty? Is it one? I just planted 2 Carefree Beauties and one White Katy Road Pinks. I am glad I gave them plenty of room.

That rose is outstanding, and so are the others. What is beside it?

Sammy

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

Good GRIEF how could I have forgotten the marvelous, super terrific Caldwell Pink? Lots of blooms on a nice shrubby plant, then fall foliage color. It's the real deal

• patrickd_nc
    15 years ago

It does not fit in the more modern categories you mention, but I think Duchesse de Brabant fits very well with what you are looking for.

I am liking Bremer Stadtmusikanten, one of the Kordes Fairy Tale roses, quite a bit. The blooms are an extremely light blend of pink, and so may not be pink enough, but otherwise it looks to be a pretty tough rose. It has rebloomed fairly well, but I have not had it long enough to really know how well it does in that department. There is a pretty nice fragrance that I would put in the "fresh, apple" category, for lack of a better one.

Jadis is quite a healthy Hybrid Tea, it seems.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Sammy, thanks..yes that's just one plant. I think Florence has one that is taller than she is. It is usually in bloom and is very healthy. The seed from CB seems to have a better germination rate than some others. I have a little seedling or two from CB.

The roses next to it are Abraham Darby and Felicia. My Felicia used to be huge but the weight of blooms in heavy rain and wind beat it down and I had to prune it hard. Haven't heard of the white Katy Road Pink..where did you get it?

Linda

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    15 years ago

Thanks for the names, Linda. I got White Katy Road Pink at Chamblees this year. This is my first year for those roses (CB and White KRP) so I was not sure what to expect.

Sammy

• rayrose
    15 years ago

Try Rose Parade.

• barbarag_happy
    15 years ago

Ray, tell us more about Rose Parade! Only four photos in hmf and no comments. Size/shape of bush? Resistant? Rebloom? Do the lovely blooms retain a globular shape or do they open flat in typical Fl. style? Needless to say I'm interested...!

• rayrose
    15 years ago

I've had RP for about 12 years and it's one of my favorite floribundas. The bush is full and stays compact at about 3x3. It's a healthy grower and the whole bush flushes at one time in a lovely light pink HT type bloom. It doesn't fully open like most floribundas, but retains the HT shaped bloom. I've moved this same bush to 3 different houses, and it has never complained, but just keeps on trucking. I have it planted by the sidewalk about 10 feet from my front door, and when someone comes to the door, they always seem to have a smile on their face. I may be prejudiced, but I think RP winks at them as they walk by. LOL
    Ray

• kandaceshirley
    15 years ago

my favorite so far has to be the fairy - no disease, almost always in constant bloom

• Molineux
    15 years ago

CARELESS LOVE - deep pink and white stripe
    DUCHESSE DE BRABANT - dawn pink
    MRS. B.R. CANT - pink blend
    RADIANCE - clear pink
    RED RADIANCE - cerise
    SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON - pale pink
    SOUVENIR DE ST. ANNE'S - light pink
    THE MCCARTNEY ROSE - hot pink

All are richly fragrant and all are well known for their disease resistance.

• oldblush
    15 years ago

Lots of pretty panks around but for dependability, disease resistance and productive bloomers Carefree Beauty and Quietness are as good as it gets here.

• jean
    15 years ago

Hi Jody -

Caldwell Pink is good if you are not looking for form, just color. Earth Song is a good choice as has been mentioned and I am a fan of SDLM in the garden as well. I would also add that Centennaire de Lordes, Jean Mermoz and Nathalie Nyles are also good for me.

Jean

• carolfm
    15 years ago

I guess you already have Le Vesuve? I second Centennaire de Lordes. I have SdlM Rouge and it is doing well here but I'm not sure where you can find a plant since Sequoia closed. :-)

Carol

• jody
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all. This is my "pink" shopping list for spring 2009:
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Centennaire de Lordes
    Le Vesuve
    Nathalie Nyples
    Earth Song

I am assuming Earth Song is typical of a Buck grandiflora in size. I'd love it if someone would chime in on the size of the others. There are a number of underperformers I plant to remove in the spring and I don't mind removing two puny roses to make room for one good large rose.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Jody, Centenaire de Lordes is huge. The pink bush on the right is CdL. I thought I had a photo of the entire bush but I can't find it. Le Vesuve is still a young plant in my garden so I am not sure of the ultimate size.

{{gwi:290690}}

Carol

• jody
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank Carol, looks like it will replace several puny HTs and floribundas all by itself.

• jim_w_ny
    15 years ago

I'm going to suggest an unheard of rose but for me it is the perfect pink shrub rose. Elmshorn. It is a Kordes rose introduced in 1951.

There are three things that set it apart from most shrub roses. First it is truly continuous. Second it gets no BS. And third it sheds the entire flower, petals and whatever the hip forming part is called. So it always looks clean without dead heading. I have 6 of them planted in a circle. Under planted with another great one, Elveshorn. A bit brighter pink but also lower growing. Its' about 3' here while Elmshorn is 5'to 6'.

The flowers are small, perfect pompoms. Always look nice!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

Grandmother's Hat is a rose that's been universally admired on the forum. I can't speak from personal experience since mine is only a baby (but growing uncomplainingly in full sun as is Le Vesuve which is about 6 inches tall and already covered with buds). Every picture I've ever seen of it shows it to be a gorgeous rose and I haven't heard any comments about disease problems.

Ingrid

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Jody, I absolutely fell head over heels in love with CdL. I never knew they grew so big and beautiful.

On the other hand, if it was in my garden, I would probably choose Katy Road Pink which has the brightness, almost, of Pepto-Bismol and the hardiness and repeat bloominess of Quietness. But I do love Duchesse de Brabant, so I would stick here in there someplace.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Jody, you will love CdL, it is huge as they say. Likes the haircuts I give it too.

Carla

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I must be doing something wrong because my CdL never took off. It does have companion plants near it and I wonder if it doesn't like the competition. I'm totally in awe of Carol's which is wondrous. I've whacked back my two-cane wonder and fed it alfalfa meal and will keep my fingers crossed.

Ingrid

• buffington22
    15 years ago

Carefree Beauty is the best I have for bloom production (cycle after cycle) and foliage health. She is bulletproof.

• erasmus_gw
    15 years ago

Good ole Carefree Beauty needs a more interesting name..it sounds about as tempting as McDonalds. Maybe Madame Tres Difficile, or Comtesse de Whoareyoutothinkyoucangrowme?
    Linda

• jody
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In the early days of Ashdown I saw Elmshorn. It was perfectly clean and it had been very rainy. The clean bush caught my eye. Don't remember why I didn't buy it, but it did stick in my head.

• jim_w_ny
    15 years ago

That seems to be the story of Elmshorn. The perfect pink shrub rose but it fails to grab the heart. At the moment it is the only rose, out of my 120 or so, that is still blooming as if it was June. Actually I have on other that is also going strong, Eutin, but it is shorter barely 3'. That one never black spots and beetles somehow avoid it.

So I'm also at fault because despite the great performance of these two I'm constantly looking for other roses and planting them. I've resolved to get some more of these two and forget experimenting. It would be so much better to have some color in my beds instead of a sea of green. Non repeating repeaters!

• zeffyrose
    15 years ago

I do love Katy Road Pink/ Carefree Beauty-----I can always depend on a few blooms no matter how bad the summer is.
    Linda--You are right---She gets quite tall in my yard.
    {{gwi:249413}}

{{gwi:228849}}

This is not a good picture but the post is 10 ft. tall so you can get a good idea of size

{{gwi:290691}}

BTW---I'm happy you have found someone who shares your love of gardening.

Florence

• luxrosa
    15 years ago

"Autumn Bouquet" it blooms as often as an average H.T., and has a yummy fragrance, here A.B. grows to be a healthy shrub which grows to reach 8'tall. It blooms here in spring and summer and then has a spectacular late bloom cycle in the Autumn.

"C.d. L" has two Old Garden Tea class great-grandparents (Safrano and Madame de Tartas) which could explain its' high bloom count, per square foot of bush. Since your garden is in 7b, I'd reccomend the healthier cultivars of the Tea class, over any other rose. class, not only are the Old Garden Teas the most floriferous of any large flowered rose class, they have a longer bloom season, starting a month before H.T.s and ending a month later in Autumn. "Clementina Carbonieri" is a beaut and "General Gallieni" has been reported to be one of the healthiest Teas.

Best wishes for abundant beauty,

Lux.

P.S. I like the appearance of "Marie-Victorin" but have never grown it. It has Kordesii genes, from R.wich and R. rugosa and that can lend genes for disease resistance. Caveat, often not always.