Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Climbing Duchesse de Brabant

jacqueline9CA
14 years ago

I attended a lecture by Gregg Lowery of Vintage Gardens the other night, about roses in Australia. He said (with a picture) that he had found a Cl Duchesse de Brabant there. Sure enough, HMF says it is commercially available, but only in Australia. Of course, our stupid law prevents any roses from getting here from Australia. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this rose, or knows of anywhere (Europe, perhaps!) where it might be available. It is a sport, of course, so theoretically it could show up anywhere at anytime on a bush form of that rose -

Jackie

Comments (5)

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

According to HMF, this rose appeared circa 1900. It seems very odd that a rose that was introduced around 110 years ago hasn't yet made it out of Australia -- if not to the U.S., then to Europe or elsewhere. I wonder if there's more to the story . . .

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Jackie, a similar situation is Maman Cochet which sported a climber in Australia in 1909 and then within a year or so sported in the US. I believe the same happened with White Maman Cochet. If you have the "Tea Roses for Warm Climates" book from Australia, it's discussed a lot there for several roses. I believe Australia has a Red Maman Cochet, Cl, but we don't. In the book they mention Climbing DdB, but in Australia it's called Comtesse de LaBarthe (she's the rose on the cover of the book) & Countess Bertha. The interesting thing is that a DdB climber hasn't been sported in the US in all these years as the Maman Cochets did.

Yes, somebody has to change that law against importing roses from Australia. It turned out that the disease (rose wilt, I think) that they were trying to keep out of the US wasn't even a real disease!

Jackie, I love the photos of your garden that I've seen. Can't wait till you figure out your new camera. I especially love your LeVesuve. Breathtaking! I have a young one that I love AND the climber (little baby in a pot.) I believe LeVesuve is mentioned in the Aussie book.

Sherry

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to you both. I agree that it is very odd that DdB hasn't sported a climber again, considering the number that must be growing in gardens all over. Maybe it has, but no one noticed or cared ......we just have to pay more attention!

I have 2 plants of DdB - one is very old (at least 70, and possibly 80 yrs) - it is intermingled in with the large hedge of Le Vesuve - it was years before I figured out it was a different rose (I'm slow). Finally I realized that the very cupped, shell pink roses were different than the pink Le Vesuve blossoms. So, I rooted it last year, and now have a baby DdB clone growing in the garden. I will definitely keep an eye on it in case it decides to sport in the future! I love climbers, and would certainly love to have a Cl DdB.

Jackie

• john_hook
    13 years ago

We have this in Europe now, greg will be getting it this winter

John Hook

• sherryocala
    12 years ago

The fact that DdB has a climbing sport was just brought to my forgetful brain, and I can picture it in the same semi-shady spot where the bush form is now growing weakly, but the climber would be growing up and out into the sun. I do not find it on the Vintage website. Does anyone know if Gregg Lowery every imported her? I think I'd be willing to pay the shipping and ag fees on this one. The photos from Australia on HMF are wonderful.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...