Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landperson_gw

Abb� Bramerel

landperson
12 years ago

Anyone have experience with Abbe Bramerel?

I've been contemplating her, and this morning I got an email from Vintage which indicates both that she's on sale (along with all the other Euro Desert roses) and that she's in short supply, so.....

Whaddya think?

Thumbs up? Down?

Susan

Susan

Comments (7)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A gorgeous rose, but unfortunately I notice that HMFR says it's susceptible to blackspot and mildew. If your garden doesn't have those problems it might be worth a try. Under Member's Comments there's a very negative comment also.

Ingrid

• landperson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blackspot? Mildew?

Of course I get them, plus Rust, but that has never caused me to remove or replace a rose. I have had to dig up and pot some (Paul's Early Blush this year for example and also Anna Scharsach), but I am not a shovel pruner. If I buy a rose I keep it (unless somehow I have inadvertently killed it, which has happened occasionally).

Susan

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    12 years ago

I bought the mother plant from Eurodesert.;) Thumbs are way up! It has been a big surprise in that it is a bloom machine! I did some researching on the web, reading lots of old texts that had been scanned through Google, and found that this rose actually likes some shade. So that is where I put it, where it gets a fair amount of afternoon shade. It responded by getting tons of buds! I'd cut it back severely for the ride home (about an hour and a half drive from Eurodesert, but it still had to be dug up and that is a big shock for such a huge plant, barely fits into a 15 gallon pot). The color is very hard for my camera--just seems to blow its little mind. A purplish red, difficult to describe, but definitely stunning. Very different and really beautiful. Absolutely crammed with petals. Yep, just like a cabbage that has been sliced through. Moderate fragrance.

No rust on Abbe Bramerel in my garden. Not on this hybrid perpetual nor on any of the other mother plants I got from Eurodesert this spring/summer: Comtesse O'Gorman, Francois Premier, Henry Nevard, "not Symphony", Sydonie (okay, not an hp), etc. No blackspot on any of the plants I've gotten so far from Eurodesert (not even on Rosa foetida Persiana where it would be expected). I did get a small amount of mildew on a few of the hp's (including AB), and A LOT on one china (Napoleon) while I was still doing some misting of their foliage to make sure the recently moved mother plants were well hydrated. This was also right after a light (root) feeding feeding of fish emulsion (which I've never tried before) on the roses once they'd had been here enough to be showing some leafing out. The mildew appears to be transitory on these plants and not a big issue (except for Napoleon) as newer leaves look clean. Not so on everything and with other problems.....

Blackspot showed up in my garden this year, and I'm not used to seeing it! Blackspot appeared on the found rose Benny Lopez (blackspotted and rusted badly enough to defoliate, in a pot, on probation). It's right next to Excellenz von Schubert whose leaves have remained pristine all year. Both teas I bought blackspotted: Niles Cochet (awful blackspot + mildew, and even a little rust, defoliated--in a pot, hasn't earned a spot in the garden, hasta la vista!) and Tipsy Imperial Concubine (blackspotted only slightly, marginal plant, on probation), in the ground next to Comtesse O'Gorman and Abbe Bramerel, neither of which blackspotted at all. On the mildew front I have one that is a mildew magnet, the china Napoleon. He sure is a feast for the eyes when in bloom--but the plant, ugh curled leaves galore. Another new purchase this year is my only other china, Archduke Charles. He mildews AND rusts substantially, and just generally looks dreadful and scraggly.:( The occasional gorgeous blooms don't make up for the ugly plant. He is leaving as he is clearly not happy in my garden.

Of all the roses I've bought this year (you don't want to know how many!!!), the ones that have brought the most comment from neighbors have been Baptiste Lafaye, Abbe Bramerel, and Rosa foetida Persiana.

Another interesting thing I found in my research is that Abbe Bramerel has been in the US before, imported a long, long time ago.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, 1872

• roseseek
    12 years ago

I think you're REALLY talented, Susan! How on earth did you do this? "Abb�" Kim

• landperson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh thank you, Melissa. Just exactly what I wanted to hear. Enabled again !!!!

And, Kim, I have no idea how that happened. I think I copied and pasted the name of the rose and it got translated into what you see....I probably couldn't do it again if I tried.
    Susan

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    12 years ago

Susan, this has been a timely reminder for me to never volunteer information about a rose I know absolutely nothing about. I'm glad Melissa countered my post with a whole-hearted endorsement. I hope yours turns out as well as hers has.

Ingrid

• landperson
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, Ingrid, I always appreciate your input !!!!

Susan