Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sirens's Keep - buds stay shut inside

Posted by sunnysideuphill 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 11:59

This little rose came as a band, spring 09, went into the new rose garden and this is the second season with it - still very small skinny canes, not even 18" high - but pumped out full sized blooms that bent over from their own weight.
I've cut three stems with a full open rose, and two of them also had lower buds, fully developed, deep red - but in the vase, in the house, after the full bloom faded and was removed, even with recutting the stem, those buds never opened.
The incredible heat we've had may be a factor, but any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sirens's Keep - buds stay shut inside

Each rose has its own habits about opening. Many very-double roses will open from tight bud even if the sepals haven't fully separated--but with some roses you need some separation of the petals before you cut.

However, I have no experience with SK. Paul gave this rose a very cool name, and the rose looks gorgeous in pictures.

o
RE: Sirens's Keep - buds stay shut inside

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 15:55

They were probably still too tight when you cut them to open. I've found on most roses the petals need to have just begun to open on their own before cutting to have them open inside. Just having the sepals down, showing color isn't enough.

I don't know if this works but I've heard a trick exhibitors use to get a too tight bud to open faster for a show is to gently squeeze around the bud to loosen up the petals inside. You might give it a try before you cut next time and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here