Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Potting Soil versus Potting Mix - clarity re confusion

I have a bag of Miracle Gro Potting mix with moisture control, on the bag there are images of containers, and Scotts indicates that the product is for indoor and outdoor use. This product does fertilize in a time released fashion over 6 months (blue bag).

I have organic potting soil purchased at a local nursery with Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, composted softwood bark, compost and horticultural grade perlite. The instructions on the package indicate that it is to be used with pots.

I continue to be confused regarding when and for what these products are to be used. Does anyone understand this?

Why would one choose Potting Mix versus Potting Soil?

What have you had the best luck with in terms of potting up bands?

Sorry to fire off 3 questions, but I have lacked clarity regarding this for some time now.

Lynn

Comments (22)

• michaelg
    10 years ago

In American usage, there is no difference that I know of. Since most commercial products consist of organic material with no actual soil, "potting mix" is a more accurate expression. However, the same mix could be labeled "potting soil." Professionals use the term "soilless medium" for what most Americans call "potting soil" or "mix." In other countries, people use actual soil as a potting medium, maybe with some sand or compost added. It works fine.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I think someone argued on one occasion that potting "soil" is too heavy--so potting "mix" should be used instead. I don't really know.

What I do know is that I don't like all the stuff they are sneaking into the soils/mixes--something for moisture control, fertilizers, etc. I think most of that is just a sales gimmick--bigger and better, so pay more! or at least buy ours instead of theirs. However, one time I tried the moisture control. Don't remember now what happened, but I did not like the results and have refused to buy that stuff ever since.

It's kinda like Bayer pushing their 3-in-1 combos--not needed, may even be harmful, but it sounds like the customer is getting something special that no one else offers. BS--and I don't mean blackspot.

I buy an organic mix--works fine.

Kate

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dublinbay,

Is your organic mix, potting soil or potting mix, or is a potting mix inherently not organic?

Lynn

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Potting soil and potting mix are two different names for the same thing, basically sand plus peat or a peat substitute, sometimes with organics added. It was originally developed for the nursery trade and is intended as a light, well-draining planting medium that will give consistent results. Think of it as artificial soil. It generally breaks down after a year or so and should be replaced.

If you look in older gardening books before potting mix was widely sold, you will find formulas for mixing your own potting mix. Actual garden soil will be one of the components, with coarse builder's sand added for drainage and usually compost as well. The garden soil will be heated in the oven at a low temperature to eliminate pathogens. I have never done this myself but I understand that there is an odor associated with this process. I'm putting it delicately.

You may be confused by something else called planting mix. Planting mix is intended to be mixed in with soil to improve the texture and fertility, a sort of ready-to-go bag of compost and other goodies. It is unfortunate that the name is so similar.

Rosefolly

Original Author
    10 years ago

rosefolly, and michael,

My thought has been that a planting mix is what someone would place in a raised planter along with topsoil or whatever natural garden soil they had available, but not as the only medium in a pot?

My confusion is the potting mix and potting soil. I just seemed to me that they have different names for a reason; or not.... just wanting to cause a little confusion? If so then that solves it. Potting soil or potting mix are used interchangeably; even relative to planting bands for many, but for some folks, potting mix should be avoided, for example, the Miracle gro products, because they often have additives and fertilizers?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 15:45

• michaelg
    10 years ago

Once again, there is no reason for the two different names, p. soil and p. mix. The packager names it according to what the packager thinks will sell better. However, as rosefolly says, products called "planting mix" may be significantly different, and the bag may say "not for use in pots." "Planting mix" is sold for use as an amendment to garden soil, not as a potting medium.

Since one cannot tell exactly what is in commercial potting mixes, some gardeners create their own. You can learn about this on the Container Forum.

This post was edited by michaelg on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 14:46

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Potting soil is the same as potting mix. The different product would be PLANTING soil or mix. Potting is simply for potting, whether indoors or out, unless it contains something stinky such as some sort of manure. "Planting" anything is for outdoor use only. It is generally heavier, stays wetter and is not sterile, containing more active bacteria and fungi making it unsuitable for indoor use and usually unsuitable for pots due to getting water logged more easily.

If the product says "potting", it's for pots. If it says "planting" it's for use outdoors, in the soil. Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

I was never unclear about the "planting mix"; actually only referred to it as a response.

The potting soil and potting mix I am discovering are the same, however I guess I am not clearly communicating my concern. Making my own potting mix/soil is not an option at this point, so I am trying to discover what will be the best medium for my bands among products like Miracle gro with moisture control and organic potting mix to use in Las Vegas, as my bands require almost daily watering?

Lynn

Original Author
    10 years ago

My reference to "planting mix" in a pot after my initial post was knowledge of someone "mixing" it with Miracle Gro Potting Mix and placing all of it in a pot. I am attempting to learn what is best between something like Miracle Gro potting mix in the blue bag or organic potting soil, in a hot climate with frequent watering. The use of planting mix is a non-issue, I would only use it in a new raised planter.

Thanks,

Lynn

• michaelg
    10 years ago

"Moisture control" materials (PAM hydrogels) are of questionable value. You will control the moisture in pots by watering them appropriately. Pre-fertilized potting mixes are OK unless you forget and double up the fertilizer, but they offer little advantage over do-it-yourself fertilizing. Neither of these additives is a big deal either way. A label of "organic" or not is not a big deal either. American potting mixes consist of organic and other natural materials, except for PAM hydrogels and time-release fertilizers if they are included.

One significant difference is durability. Mixes with a high percentage of compost become very fine-textured and mucky after a year or two, whereas those with more peat, composted bark, and perlite will hold up longer and drain better. Generally the more expensive mixes are looser and more durable than the cheapest ones.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Michaelg,

I use the finger test two times daily to see if watering is required. My "big" dilemma is associated with the fertilizer in Miracle Gro. I thought the moisture beads would be helpful but I carefully watch the moisture levels, so based upon the info. you provided PAM's are not required.

I have read cautions against using Miracle Gro in the blue bag on new bands placed in one gallon pots. With my frequent watering, I am concerned as to whether or not the potting mix or soil will be enough o provide the plant with what it needs?

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lynn, if it helps, these are one gallon plants I wrapped as cuttings in January and February 2013. They are now five and six months old. They were potted in Miracle Gro Moisture Control Soil right out of the wraps. They were upsized into these gallons in straight MG Moisture Control Soil which is what they currently grow in. All have roots exiting their drain holes and are getting ready to be upsized into two gallons shortly. I rooted them for a friend. They are waiting until we are at the same place, at the same time, so I can pass them off to her.

The varieties are Dawn Crest, Atmore Lamarque, Rayon Butterfed, Moore Bouquet, Porcelain Rose and Eyes for You.
    They have not been fed with anything else, only watered regularly by hose. They receive a bit too much direct, hot sun, but where they reside is the safest place I have to hold them without their completely frying and/or being eaten until they can go home with her. I hope it helps you figure things out. Kim

{{gwi:291768}}
    Dawn Crest
    {{gwi:291770}}
    Eyes for You, which is notorious for not producing Grade 1 plants much of the time. Week's couldn't get it to produce them at least 40% of the time, so this one appears it might be a decent plant.
    {{gwi:291773}}

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I don't believe the prefertilized potting soil will hurt transplants unless you pile additional fertilizer on. After all, these mixes are designed to be transplanted into. Contrary to common advice, I do fertilize newly planted roses lightly unless there was fertilizer already in the root ball. Beginners commonly kill plants by overfertilizing them, but I don't see that as a reason not to fertilize at all. I don't think I have ever hurt a plant with fertilizer. I follow directions, avoid doubling up with multiple fertilizers, and scale applications to the size of the soil area they go on. Small plants can only use small doses. If it is very hot or the water supply is erratic, I use less than the labeled dose.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. You all have been so helpful. I have gleaned new and useful information. I have 7 bands that are potted in the local nursery's organic potting soil with the ingredients listed above.

The next 8 bands will be potted this evening in the Miracle Gro with moisture control. These bands have been received anywhere from 5 - 8 days apart. I am really curious to see what the difference will be between the bands that arrived last week to those arriving this week. The ones planted in organic planting soil will receive a very weak dose of fish emulsion every Sunday. The M.G. plants will receive water.

Roseseek, thank you for the information and the images:)

Again, Thank you all:)

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 19:26

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

As stated above they're really the same thing. It just depends on what the manufacturer decides to call it. They are both soil-less organic material mixes. Maybe the use of the word "soil" was decided because the average person probably feels that you have to have "soil" to grow plants. So some marketing department used that term to try to sell more product.

I've used every brand I can find around here, with and without fertilizer, with and without moisture control crystals, and all of them have worked just fine. I buy what ever is on sale or cheapest I can find when I ever I need more. They all seemed to grow pretty roses for me.

Original Author
    10 years ago

seil, I will see if my roses fair in a fashion which would be consistent with your findings; indicating that what I use in this Las Vegas heat with daily watering is of no consequence. That surely would make future band pottings much easier!

My 1st hope is that they all survive and maintain a good resemblance of health during the extreme summer heat here ( 2nd hottest major city in the country combined with an average of about 4.5" of rainfall annually) and then have more than negligible growth prior to my October and then March plantings.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Lynn, the whole point of "moisture control" is to prevent the necessity of daily watering and to help prevent over watering. If you are intending upon watering daily, save your money and use the cheap stuff. I do not water daily, nor do I wish to. I used moisture control so I don't HAVE to and so clients, for whom I plant patio pots, don't have to. Why waste extra money to fix something your schedule would indicate ain't broke? Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Roseseek, seven of the plants are already potted with the organic potting soil. The remaining bands and two one gallon own roots that I will pot up this evening will get the M.G. moisture control. I use the finger test daily to see if the plant is adequately hydrated.You re-confirmed what I am hoping; that the M.G. moisture control will require less watering:)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's needed less watering here than non moisture control types have. You may experience similar results...or not. It'll be interesting! Good luck! Kim

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

I came across this thread and wanted to add my experience with Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix. The bags I buy here in Georgia contain coir pith rather than the moisture crystals. A number years ago I happened to have on hand a bag of the MGMC and a bag of another brand which contained the crystals--I observed over the course of that summer that the MG w/coir did a better job of retaining moisture in my pots than did the other product. In an effort to retain good texture and drainage, I now mix the MG half and half with "Nature's Helper" composted soil amendment before using it in my pots. I also add a little slow release fertilizer similar to Osmacote. I've been very pleased with this combination.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Junco, are you planting bands? I know the MGMC blue bag has a slow release fertilizer in it? Despite watering now every two to three days ( roseseek :) you were right on target with that) instead of daily watering, I would fear killing them due to over fertilization.

Lynn

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    10 years ago

Sorry, I didn't clarify--my pots are generally just annuals and perennials for summer color, not roses. I just wanted folks to know that MG has what I consider to be a better "moisture control" ingredient than some other potting soils.
    Since I'm now adding unfertilized material to the mix, I find that just a little additional time release fertilizer is not too much.