Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margot_gw

My Crimson Rambler

margot
9 years ago

Several years ago I was in desperate search for the Crimson Rambler. That's when I first became a member of garden web and after many queries someone kindly put me in touch with the Roseman, the rose grower. He generously gave me a start and now look where she's going! Just as I had imagined so many years ago. If anyone can put me in touch with the kind Rhode Island grower of roses please let me know. I am forever in his debt and loving my rose covered cottage.

Comments (9)

• Chandran
    9 years ago

wow! Just gorgeous! I have this - I think official name is Turner's Crimson Rambler. It has been the easiest rose to root for me. I understand that at one time it was the rose of the day with Gertrude Jekyll expounding on the beauty of this rose. I am afraid mine is not as large or prolific as yours. I purchased mine several years ago at the Sacramento Historic Rose Garden.

Mae

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

You really should post that photo on HelpMeFind - none of the photos there show the magnificence of this rose like yours does! Makes me wish I had a place for it in my own garden. ;-)

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

margot, your rambler is awesome. What inspired you to find and grow it?

I agree it would be great if you shared the picture on HelpMeFind. These old ramblers have become so uncommon that it's hard to find pictures to identify them. I grow a rambler that my Grandma used to call her Crimson Rambler. The pics on HMF had me doubting that she had the name correct but your photo now has me 100% convinced that mine is not a Crimson Rambler.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    9 years ago

Beautiful!!! How long do blooms last? It's a once bloomer, I hope the blooms last for a long time.

• margot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your postings. A long time ago when I was a young girl a rose somewhat like this grew on a fence in the field behind our house in Illinois. I loved it even then but didn't know what it was. For sure it's name fell into what everyone seemed to be calling Crimson Rambler. I doubt it truly was for it's blossoms were more pink than crimson and it seems to have been the pretty but weedy rambler that dots the roadsides in June through July here in Connecticut. Much frustrated searching led me to the garden web which finally led me to The Roseman who grows old roses in Rhode Island. He very kindly gave me this start of what I am most positive is the REAL THING. It was actually a trade for an Angel Wing Begonia. I got the better end of that stick for sure. Yes, it is the Turner's Crimson Rambler a once bloomer and depending on the weather lasts a week or two. Further inspiration came from Carl Sandburg's poem Crimson Rambler. Please check it out. It was great hearing from all of you. I will try to get the picture on HMF today.

• CapeRoses
    9 years ago

If you got the rose from Dan, then it is definitely the correct rose. I would just caution others though that you can not identify Turner's Crimson Rambler by the photo above. The rose in the photo could easily be confused with 'Excelsa' by Walsh. It is easy to tell the difference between the two, however. TCR is more of a maroon than red, but most important, TCR has a proliferation of bristly glands covering the pedicles. This is clearly shown in the photo of TCR at the link below. This photo directly below is 'Excelsa'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turner's Crimson Rambler

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

OMG! Both of those are magnificent!!!

• margot
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This rose was thanks to NERoseman who remains forever in my debt even though he did get a paltry offering in trade. Soon, I will upload my photo of the "bristly glands covering the pedicule" so everyone will know this is the real McCoy. Even today after extreme weather ie: heat, humidity,winds and rains she is holding her own and nary a sign of mildew or any other malady. Thanks again Dan.