Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melodyinz8a

Rogue Valley sent me Le Vesuve but it looks wrong

melodyinz8a
9 years ago

I've had this rose a couple months and these are the first blooms. They look too white and too "full" to match photos of Le Vesuve that I've seen online.
{{gwi:292143}}

{{gwi:292144}}

{{gwi:292145}}

Comments (11)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

I wouldn't say at this point that it isn't Le Vesuve. I was convinced that I had been sent the wrong rose when I received mine some years ago from Vintage Gardens when I saw the first blooms, but I was wrong. The leaves and thorns look correct to me. You might want to wait another month after you have more blooms before deciding it's incorrect.

Ingrid

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I agree with Ingrid - old roses frequently have initial blooms that do not look anything like they are supposed to. I also agree with you that the blooms in your pic do not look like Le Vesuve at all, but I would wait a while and see what later blooms look like.

My Le Vesuve's have blooms which are way less double than those, and are one color overall.

Jackie

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I second all of the above advice. First blooms on younger roses just do not look the same. My first Mrs BR Cant blooms from my Vintage Gardens band was a pale pink. Subsequent blooms confirmed her true identity.

• shopshops
    9 years ago

I second all of the above advice. First blooms on younger roses just do not look the same. My first Mrs BR Cant blooms from my Vintage Gardens band was a pale pink. Subsequent blooms confirmed her true identity.

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Last year I picked Evelyn up from Roses Unlimited. When Stephanie brought it out of the greenhouse to me I Immediately said "That's not Evelyn!" The bloom was even a totally different color. Without hesitation she just clipped off the bloom and told me that frequently occurs with early blooms of a rose grown in a greenhouse. She reassured me it was Evelyn, and told me if I later still didn't think it was she would replace. By the next bloom, I knew it was Evelyn.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

It might also be a good idea to e-mail Rogue Valley and send them the pictures you've posted here. They may know which rose it is if not Le Vesuve. I don't think it's very often that a rose has more petals when it's immature and as I'm looking again I agree that Le Vesuve seems to be less full than these flowers. It wouldn't hurt to let them know now that you have doubts in case it turns out that this is not the rose you ordered.

Ingrid

• melodyinz8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the photo of le vesuve from Rogue Valley's website. I slightly resembles my pics with the fading in the center. But no other photos of le vesuve look like this.

I think I will email them, Ingrid.

• dregae (IN, zone 6b)
    9 years ago

I would definatly call them if you have any question about the rose you ordered.

I haven't had good experiences with rogue valley. One rose I got was not what I ordered. Of course I didn't know this until it bloomed the next year. I contacted them and explained everything even took pictures and I never got a call back or even an email. My other complaint is that every rose I have ordered from them have been one cane wonders. I get a band size pot with about a 3 foot cane in it. Compared to the other bands I have ordered from various sources theirs have been the worst. Sluggish and awkward.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Hmm - interesting. My Le Vesuves look just like the ones on HMF. I have never seen a bloom on mine (in 25 years) that looked like the pic you posted from RVR website (and I hasten to add that I have many times had very good experiences ordering roses from them, and never had a bad one).

My Le Vesuves, like the ones on HMF, do not have those crinkly petals, and are not that double. See what they say - old teas are famous for having their blooms affected by the weather - maybe their mother plant has different looking blooms on it now. They have always been friendly and helpful when I have called them.

Jackie

• melodyinz8a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I heard back from RVR and they gave a vague answer about their own plant not being in bloom so they couldn't compare the photo with the true blooms right now. They think I have the real plant, but did offer to refund the money.
    I suppose the only thing to do is let the plant mature and see what it grows into. Thanks everyone!

• slumgullion in southern OR
    9 years ago

I also received Le Vesuve from RVR and was initially concerned that it was misidentified, because the first blooms were white. However, since planting the blooms have quickly become much more pink (light pink), and the plant has the hooked thorns and spreading habit that I understand is typical of Le Vesuve. My blooms at this point look pretty similar to what I see on HMF.

And whew, what a performer this is! It is already 3' across and has had 10 blooms, only a couple of months after moving from a band to a 5-gallon pot. The scent is moderate but it wafts in the morning and is quite refreshing up close, smells to my nose somewhat like strawberry bubble gum.

I'm a fan!

The only drawback right now is that the blooms are a little brown around the edges, I think because the rose is being hit by an overhead sprinkler.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations