Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

Portmerion (DA) rose

boncrow66
9 years ago

I'm curious to know if anyone grows this DA rose. I was looking on Chamblees website and they have it in ther DA list and it looks like a beautiful rose but I haven't heard anyone mention that they grow it and I would be interested to know how well it does or does not grow.

Comments (6)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm guessing this isn't a very popular DA rose.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I'm not much help, but I did plant this one from Chamblees two years ago. It grew fine in the summer but didn't overwinter for me where I had it, even though it was a relatively mild winter. In zone 8 you wouldn't have that problem. I can't report on the bloom since I pinch off buds in a rose's first year.

I'll probably plant it again next year in a different spot, so I'm interested to see what other have to report.
    Cynthia

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Cynthia, it looks pretty and sounds like it should do well in my zone and if I don't get a lot feedback on this thread I will ask about it when I visit Chamblees next spring.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

I got Portmerion from Chamblees this spring. As a plant, it is growing well and doing the best of the 8 roses I got from them. It has been blooming regularly (although it doesn't seem to be able to support the blooms and most of them rest on the mulch but that should self-correct as it matures) and very important to me: it is healthy in my no spray garden. However, I must say I am not wowed by the blooms...not by the rather ordinary pink color, so-so form, or lack of real fragrance. I ordered it mostly for the promised "strong old rose fragrance," but I've yet to experience that. Cynthia's report of it not overwintering for her concerns me a bit, but we'll see. Perhaps if it does not survive it is a small loss.
    Anne

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Anne, glad to hear its a healthy plant for you and I don't have to worry about overwintering, we have very mild winters in East Texas. Sorry it's not as fragrant for you, I know that can be disappointing. I planted Evelyn this year and was excited about her fragrance but was hugely disappointed when I couldn't smell what everyone else could but I have discovered that I can smell her wonderful fragrance early in the morning.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Anne - don't let my experience discourage you, as I had Portmeiron in a tough spot in my yard, one that's essentially a zone 4 pocket. Most of my Austins are reliably hardy in my zone 5, so I expect you'll be OK with yours. I would love to hear how it turns out, as I'm dithering back and forth about ordering it for spring. Your unexcited response to the blooms may convince me to hold off for a bit, as I have a lot of "vaguely pink" Austins, and if it's not particularly fragrant there are other Austins I want to try (like Evelyn & Strawberry Hill & Boscobel).

Thanks for sharing your experience!
    Cynthia