Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

Pookah & Cymbeline

My generous-gardener neighbor yesterday gave me one each of the above roses. I've looked them up here, but couldn't find any really conclusive information. Cymbeline in particular led me back to the no-more-Austins thread, about which I could say much (and everyone else already has). Not going there right now ...
So how about these two? Pookah will be my first polyantha. Does it really stay that small? Sounds like more of a ground cover. How much sun can it take in a hot-dry climate? Any tips on growing it?
Cymbeline sounds as if it could be fantastic. It's been linked to St. Swithun, which I know does well around here. My Austins have for the most part are not blooming now, except for the unstoppable Tamora, Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell. I have had exactly one Falstaff bloom (out of two bushes) all year, and the budless canes are shooting up right now ... the shovel awaits! (although, to be fair, I put it in more shade than it apparently likes). Queen of Sweden has a few buds; same for Alnwick. Carding Mill is resting; I just moved it back into the sun from a shadier spot and expect it to do better soon. Molineax went into the ground in the spring and seems to hate it there; maybe it'll go back into a pot.
I was thinking of replacing my Falstaffs with St. Swithun (the wall behind has been painted and the dark red Falstaffs wouldn't look good there now), so would Cymbelline work as well?
Thanks,
Sylvia

Comments (7)