Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pookah & Cymbeline

Posted by SFV4Life 10a/20 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 13:41

My generous-gardener neighbor yesterday gave me one each of the above roses. I've looked them up here, but couldn't find any really conclusive information. Cymbeline in particular led me back to the no-more-Austins thread, about which I could say much (and everyone else already has). Not going there right now ...
So how about these two? Pookah will be my first polyantha. Does it really stay that small? Sounds like more of a ground cover. How much sun can it take in a hot-dry climate? Any tips on growing it?
Cymbeline sounds as if it could be fantastic. It's been linked to St. Swithun, which I know does well around here. My Austins have for the most part are not blooming now, except for the unstoppable Tamora, Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell. I have had exactly one Falstaff bloom (out of two bushes) all year, and the budless canes are shooting up right now ... the shovel awaits! (although, to be fair, I put it in more shade than it apparently likes). Queen of Sweden has a few buds; same for Alnwick. Carding Mill is resting; I just moved it back into the sun from a shadier spot and expect it to do better soon. Molineax went into the ground in the spring and seems to hate it there; maybe it'll go back into a pot.
I was thinking of replacing my Falstaffs with St. Swithun (the wall behind has been painted and the dark red Falstaffs wouldn't look good there now), so would Cymbelline work as well?
Thanks,
Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pookah & Cymbeline

Syliva -- I grow Cymbaline. It's one of my husband's favorites, with blooms that have a delicate opalescent quality. It's also absolutely disease-free, and fragrant.

For us, it is a sparse bloomer, but may perform more generously in your warmer conditions.

Pookah is considered to be a Polyantha, and was a big winner recently at the Biltmore rose trials. You will love this little guy.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 14:54

Same experience as Jeri on Cymbaline--stingy bloomer, superb disease resistance.

o

I see no one has yet replied re. 'Pookah.' It's a rather new rose, and (IMHO) charming. I had it for a while, and lost it, and drought-permitting would like to have it again.

See:
http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.61438

It's a single, which I love -- and it was disease free in my fog-encouraging garden. I can't imagine not loving 'Pookah.'

o

OH heck -- I should have put the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: POOKAH on HMF

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 20:19

I'm pretty sure Roseseek has Pookah. Maybe he'll chime in or you could send him a PM.

o

My Cymbeline is a new arrival. I have 3 buds, should open very soon.
I am interested in experiences with this rose also.

o

I think I had about the second plant of Pookah when Jimofshermanoaks handed me one from his original plant. In this area, Pookah is what Ballerina SHOULD be, but isn't. Ballerina is terminally chlorotic in every garden I've grown it in and suffers greatly from crown gall, mildew and blackspot. Pookah has none of those issues. It isn't "little", though. Mine regularly hits four feet tall and wide and would likely get larger if it had more water and less competition from the neighbor's twenty foot photinia hedge behind the fence. The color is much darker (even in most of the day southern sun), foliage MUCH denser and greener and much better at supporting itself compared to Ballerina, too. It is a great landscape rose for this area, resembling an ever flowering medium to darker pink with white centers hydrangea. I like the rose much and have used it quite a bit for breeding new seedlings. Of course, I am probably prejudiced in its favor because Jim rooted it for me, but it is, in its own right, a great garden/landscape rose for this area. Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here