Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poodlepup_gw

Yellow roses

poodlepup
14 years ago

Let's say a person LOVED Golden Celebration, Honey Perfume & Graham Thomas.....Do you know of another "must have" yellow/golden rose that I should get?

Comments (22)

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

Teasing Georgia, Charlotte, maybe Crown Princess Magareta (more of a peach), that beautiful peachy yellow on the other thread, Olga's Lady Hillingdon, Ashdown's Daybreak (I just love it but you might not). Neither would you want my Harison Yellow but I love that, too.

I think all the above are repeaters except Harison.

Othere can probably think of more. Charlotte is gorgeous but does fade in the sun after a couple days then shatters but is a REAL bloom machine all through the season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olga's Favorite Lady thread and gorgeous photos

• poodlepup
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG, I am SO going to get a 'Lady Hillington'
    -Thanks

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

Duchesse d'Auerstadt is a golden yellow. When it first opens it reminds me of Graham Thomas. Jude the Obscure is also a golden yellow, I believe. I do not have JtO, but there was a thread about it a while back. You might do a search. Many people praised this rose.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

As someone who also loves 'Golden Celebration,' and at the risk of sounding oddly self-serving, I suggest that you might try 'Jeri Jennings.' I know it is very good here in Southern California, but my NoCal friends are equally pleased with it. And I have discovered that it can last up to 6 days in a vase, keeping its fragrance, which is no small thing for any rose.

{{gwi:292659}}

Jeri

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

That's beautiful, Jeri, forgot about your rose. There's also Marianne, but I'm not sure of the color, got a nice post card from that place whose stock was bought out by RVR. That's where I got Hettie and Awakening.

No problem of tooting your own horn ;=). Sorry I didn't think of it.

I swear, if it weren't for the ahem who love the yellow ones the most and also space, I'd have every one that's been talked about if they were suitable for my zone.

I'm tired of CPM already, should be grown in full sun and given plenty of room with very small complementary plants. I may get rid of some of those but will wait until I see what happens when more sun hits there. One is much bigger than all the others.

I'm so glad I didn't go ahead with some of my grandiose plants similar to Robert's Mottisfont scheme. I need to gain more experience to know what works best first Start small and build on it.

• poodlepup
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love all of them. I can make room by just tearing down part of my house :)

• cemeteryrose
    14 years ago

It's more delicate in coloring, but I love Etoile de Lyon. Its exquisite form is part of the charm, but it has a nice tea scent too. Doesn't have an apricot tinge, just a delicate pure yellow.

Of course, if it's apricot tones that you want, there are always roses like Crepuscule and Reve d'Or. Train the climbers around a tripod, against a fence or over an arbor, and you won't have to tear down your house. Yet. ;-) I even grow Lady Hillingdon around a tripod just to keep her in bounds.

Yellow, buff and apricot roses are wondrous things.
    Anita

• gnabonnand
    14 years ago

This is kind of off-topic, but since you like yellow roses, if you ever want a small one for a container on your patio, 'Pacific Serenade' is a charmer of a miniature rose. Nice subtle sweet fragrance too, it's light, but when the conditions are right, the scent makes my mouth water.

Randy

'Pacific Serenade'
    {{gwi:207444}}

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I agree that 'Duchesse d'Auerstaedt' might need a drier and sunnier climate than poodlpup's, but I just wanted to say (again) what a wonderful rose it is: vigorous and handsome and floriferous, with golden to butter yellow globular flowers. Mine did have some deformed blooms this spring. Now, owing to a couple of good rains since late spring instead of our usual drought, and to my having cut it back after the first flowering, it's covered in strong new growth and is blooming again. I don't do much for it, and it really produces. Right now it's about 15' across and 10' high. One of the advantages of growing plants at the base of a terrace is that they get all the rain runoff from that impermeable surface.

All this is a bit off topic, but I wanted to mention again what a great rose this is. Good luck in your search! Does anyone from a similar climate have an opinion on DA's 'Happy Child'? I've always loved 'The Pilgrim', pale cool yellow and myrrh-scented; and I remember I liked 'Windrush' when I grew it in Washington state years ago. These last two roses are yellow in a different style.

Melissa

• Molineux
    14 years ago

That JERI JENNINGS photo is incredible!

Since we are talking Hybrid Musks then you might want to consider BUFF BEAUTY. It is a classic HM that has stood the test of time.

CHARLOTTE (English, 1994) is indeed a lovely rose. The soft golden yellow color is and Old Garden Rose flower form are very beautiful. I ended up shovel pruning mine and have regretted it ever since. Why? Graceful shrub, few thorns, lovely flowers, good consistent repeat bloom, and better than average resistance to black spot. I shovel pruned it because the light to moderate fragrance didn't thrill me - I could kick myself.

Too other wonderful goldens are JULIA CHILD (Floribunda, 2004) and the legendary MOLINEUX (English, 1994).

Here is a link that might be useful: Need a rose as perfect as Molineux

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Another vote for 'Buff Beauty.'
    We had it years ago, and it was awesome -- but planted in the wrong place. When we moved it, it turned its toes up and died.
    Now, we have it again -- a young-ish plant from the Sacramento City Cemetery -- and it is settling in and beginning to show what it can do.
    A WONDERFUL rose. And yes, a wonderful coastal rose.

As to Duchesse d'Auerstadt, it really struggles here, and will eventually be removed. But it is an awesome rose when it's happy.

Jeri

• bebemarie
    14 years ago

I'll also chime in for Buff Beauty, although "yellow" is not it's color. It does beautifully for me in part shade and I love the color changes it goes through. Just be aware it takes a few years to really get going so patience is needed.

{{gwi:292664}}

Here's Buff Beauty in my garden.

Melissa, I really wish I could grow Duchesse d'Auerstadt. It is a beautiful rose but us coastal dwellers must look elsewhere.

Am keeping my fingers crossed for Reve d'Or however. Although not "yellow" per se, it does have a yellow center. Mine's from the Sacramento City Cemetery too. Doing well in a 2 gal pot so far. Hope to plant out in the fall.

I also have 'Jeri Jennings.' It came as a tiny band from RVR but is putting on growth now...no disease I might add. Jeri, how nice to have this rose named after you.

Diane

• jeffcat
    14 years ago

I only know of some Austins off the top of my head.

Charles Darwin was one that I wanted to purchase, but was unable too. I don't hear much about him, but he is supposed to have quite large and very fragrant blooms. The blooms are a solid yellow, but also fade to a white as they age which may be good or bad for some people. I particularly like the dual coloring effect it gives with yellow and white at the same time. The blooms are a much steeper and defined cup compared to Graham Thomas and Golden Celebration from what I have seen.

• Molineux
    14 years ago

CHARLES DARWIN has the strongest fragrance among the yellow Austins but the color is butt ugly (washed out mustard yellow), no vase life to speak of, and in Maryland the foliage is a martyr to black spot. I actually laughed with joy when I ripped it out of its comfortable bed and then hacked its sorry self into mulch.

Of course, you DO live in San Francisco so it might do better. I will say when it is "on" (and the yellow color is soft pearly yellow rather than mustard ) CHARLES DARWIN is the most beautiful yellow rose in the garden. Alas, an effect that is all too fleeting.

Case in point (click the link! DO IT NOW!!!),

Here is a link that might be useful: Charles Darwin by Tivoli Rose

• User
    14 years ago

For older yellows Mr Pierre DuPont, Marie Curie, Soeur Therese. For a Climber ZEUS

• jbfoodie
    14 years ago

I am in San Rafael in the SF Bay Area and Duchesse d'Auerstadt does just fine in my microclimate. I do not get much fog here, so perhaps that is the difference.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Yes, that really IS the difference.
    We get fog all spring long.

Late in the year, in the warm, dry fall months, DdA opens well here.
    But hey -- this poor plant is a virused thing to begin with. It's not worth the struggle, when there are other roses that will do better here.

Jeri

• bebemarie
    14 years ago

Fog spells problems for many roses. Here in Pacifica I really can't grow the very double roses. They never open properly.

San Rafael is far enough inland to be a lot drier.

Diane

• luxrosa
    14 years ago

Where do you live in the Bay area?
    All the roses listed here, including Tea roses thrive in public and private gardens, east of San Pablo Avenue, and in similiar microclimates, and of course in hot and dry locations such as exist east of the Caldicott tunnel, or San Jose. But Tea roses tend to mildew in cool and foggy San Francisco. It is my favorite class, for the exqusite blooms produced through spring, summer and late into autumn.
    Alliance Franco-Russe" a huge A.F.-R. plant, that was more than 8' by 7' wide, grew on an abandoned lot in Oakland, for years, without being watered nor sprayed with anything. It blooms from April through October. Its' new foliage in spring is bright red and the combination of yellow roses against it is very stricking. When mature the leaves are apple green with red stems on each leaflet. A very attractive plant. Its' foliage and flowers make very dramatic arrangements when 2' to 3 foot long branching canes are cut for this purpose.
    "Marachel Niel" climber. A sweet dream of a yellow rose. Favors warmer microclimates in the Bay area.
    "Etoille de Lyon" thrives at the Oakland Old Rose garden at Morcam park, along with "Lady Hillingdon" and "Reve d'Or"
    "Souvenir de Pierre Notting" a good hue of yellow, but it doesnt have the interesting foliage that Alliance Franco- Russe has.
    "Anna Olivier" More peach than yellow but very exquisite, and the most fragrant yellow blend Tea I've ever smelled.
    I also love "Callisto" a fragrant lemony-yellow Hybrid Musk, this rose packs a lot of charm into its' pretty round roses, and reliably produces 3 bloom cycles a year, here, the same as Austin roses. Tea roses, bloom more often than any other rose class, other than China.

Luxrosa

• melissa_thefarm
    14 years ago

I'll second Luxrosa's 'Maréchal Niel' and 'Etoile de Lyon', and mention a rose I somehow forgot before: the Hybrid Musk 'Francesca', an extremely lovely shrub rose with soft yellow to peachy-buff flowers. THIS is a rose for a cooler, moister climate. It looks like it has a significant dose of Tea somewhere in its ancestry. All these are roses to rave about.

• tenor_peggy
    14 years ago

Mrs. Pierre S. Du Pont is a nice yellow but it fades quickly and I wish it had more petals.