Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Rogue Valley Special: Buy 3 get 1 free

strawchicago z5
11 years ago

I was on Rogue Valley site to check on Charles De Gaulle blue rose and saw their midsummer special: buy 3 get 1 free. Do they always have this sale year-round?

Anyone grow Charles de Gaulle successfully as own-root in a cold zone? Mine is 5a but I have a cozy spot for it, or can winterize in a pot, in the garage. Are there Paul Barden roses worth getting for a fabulous scent? Thank you for any info.

Comments (11)

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I think Charles de Gualle isn't an easy rose own root even in warm climates. Paul Barden's roses are really worthwhile. I'm not a good judge of their fragrance.

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, mendocino_rose for your help - much appreciated. I was impressed by Golden Buddha by Paul Barden, until Kim Rupert pointed out that it's a Hybrid Bracteata, quite thorny.

I'll find something else blue that's easier on own-root than Charles de Gaulle. Thanks in advance for any info.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

If you can find your way around the RVR web site, you are doing very well.

There would seem to be 7 roses on the free rose list, unless those seven are the custmers who bought this also bought...advertisements. Quien sabe?

I check the RVR website about every 6 mo., and usually give up after trying to navigate the site. This last year I ordered from Pickering, Vintage, High Country Roses, Heirloom, and Northland Rosarium, with absolutely no difficulties in navigation or payment at all. I am not comfortable sending credit card info to a site I can't navigate. It makes me uneasy, even though I know, objectively, that security is probably excellent.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I forgot about the Hybrid Bracteatas. They're difficult to place in the garden. I have from Paul a tea rose and two roses named after friends, Ettienne Bouret(gallica) and Barabra Oliva (moss). I'd like to get Jeri Jennings and have a trio of friends in my garden.
    The stronget blue/mauve roses I've seen are Stainless Steel and Fragrant Plum. I'm growing several of the mauves from Cliff Orent, Blue Bayou, Twice in a Blue Moon, Macho Man, Indigoletta. They're doing well but time will tell.

• JessicaBe
    11 years ago

Nastarana it does take a little patience navigating RVR but I got used to it :)

• strawchicago z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the advanced search engine in Rogue Valley website. Thank you, Mendocino, for giving me info. about strong-growing mauve roses. Which is the tallest among the ones you mentioned: Blue Bayou, Twice in a Blue Moon, Macho Man, Indigoletta. I would love to be informed of their scents. Thanks in advance.

I haven't found a mauve rose to my nose's liking. My Heirloom HT smells good in cool weather, but too harsh in hot temp. William Shakespeare 2000 smells like rotten flowers in my alkaline soil. I don't like Angel Face since it's too short, and smells weird.

• jaxondel
    11 years ago

I buy fewer roses from RVR than I do from a number of other vendors, but I've always been pleased with RVR's product. I don't recall ever encountering difficulties ordering from them online. What's the problem?

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Strawberry, they're all young, so we'll see. Indigoletta is a climber. I'm looking forward to how that turns out. I'm not very good at describing scents and often something that smells strongly to most people doesn't for me.
    About the RVR site: I only have trouble with the Buy 3 get one free thing. I get impatient. Otherwise I've never had trouble looking for a specific rose or browsing. The folks have been very nice to deal with over the years.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

I am quite unable to navigate the RVR site, except by using the alphabetical list, which is frustrating if one is trying to see, for example, what albas they might be offering this year.

I gave up altogether on the sales, mystery roses, split stems, etc.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

I find on the RVR site I can search by class or breeder, and other characteristics, and bypass the advanced search.

Sales, etc. I will pass on, and I think there are better sources for cold hardy roses.

• maryann_va
    11 years ago

I can recommend Marianne for her scent and health. She's a once-bloomer, but she provides an incredible display for at least 3 weeks (if you have longer, cooler springs, your bloom period may last longer). Make sure you give her lots of room - I have to keep mine pruned to stay around 6' H x 5' diameter.