Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amelie325

Thoughts on Centifolias?

amelie325
10 years ago

I'm curious what anyone's (esp. in mid-atlantic/northeast region--but in general, really) experience with centifolias has been like? It's a class I don't know much about, aside from some cursory internet research. Are the finicky, easy, etc? Sad to say none of my friends/relatives are that into roses, certainly nothing as fanciful as OGR, so I have no frame of reference for so much what's-it that is "roses", lol!

Comments (7)

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Your concern would be with disease, I believe, and that I can't tell you about, as I live in quite a different climate. The Centifolias are once-blooming, thorny, often rather lanky and a bit awkward in growth, totally hardy where you live, of course, to grow mainly for their flowers rather than for hips, which I believe they don't set, or plant architecture or foliage, though none of these is in the least ugly. Perhaps I've seen 'Centifolia Variegata' color rather nicely in the fall. 'Centifolia', the basic model, is double and shapely, highly fragrant, and a lovely pure pink. 'Centifolia Variegata' even thornier, very pale striping; 'Crested Moss' much like 'Centifolia' but with distinctive unusual sepals; I forget the white one's name but it's good too. They all sucker out somewhat if they're on their own roots but don't go overboard about it. Here they're unkillable. This is with a heavy clay soil, neutral to alkaline, good annual rainfall, dry summers and wet winters. Our rose beetles don't seem to go for them. I suspect they might get a lot of fungal disease in an area with wet hot summers, but that's a guess. They do very well for me and I like them a lot. 'Centifolia' is the commonest old rose where I live.
    Melissa

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Compared to gallicas, they tend to be disease prone, tender and finicky. The exception seems to be R. centifolia itself, which behaves similarly to the reliable northeastern OGRs. For most of the rest, individual flowers can be awesome, like HTs, but it takes a certain amount of luck, skill and work to get those flowers.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

I don't mean to hijack, but I've been wondering about China/Centifilia hybrid disease issues and whether they'll bloom in warm climates.

• melissa_thefarm
    10 years ago

Florida,
    I don't know whether you've done a search and turned up threads which discuss the topic you're interested in--I seem to recall some. You're likely to get answers if you start a thread about your question.
    Melissa

• taoseeker
    10 years ago

I live in a different climate, but they can get a bit of blackspot some years; which means possibly a lot in the worst affected areas. As mentioned; for USDA zone 6b many of them should be fully hardy though. They sprout as soon as it thaws up in spring and can be damaged by hard frost druing spring. They usually don't like a lot of rain when buds are about to open (which is my main problem), but otherwise not very difficult at all.

• User
    10 years ago

a mess....is my considered opinion. Never that many blooms, awful form, terrible BS (which looks grim with those huge leaves) and floppily dreadful. All-in-all, not an OGR I would miss if it fell out of the gene pool.

I attempted to get with the full blooms and old fashioned styling of pink moss roses - never again - I HATE mine (Madame Louis Leveque) and it will be lucky to see out the summer - ugly, ugly ugly. Dunno why I bothered really because I have absolutely no affinity for big cabbagey things with half a dozen malformed blooms a year......there is simply no comparison between those abominations (to my mind, obvs) and the simple single bush covering wildlings which lift my heart with a month of what truly can be called blossom......
    sigh, I often wish we had a species rose forum.............

• taoseeker
    10 years ago

Hehe campanula, but what is six lost flowers when the rest is fine? My favorite is Fantin Latour, and it blooms fine even with a bit of rain. I also like Centifolia Muscosa and Major a lot, but they don't like rain. Gros Chou de Hollande have a nice growing habit, and tons of flowers at once, and easy to get nice.

Clever pruning might make the canes branch out a bit more: Nipping off the tip of young basal shoots, light summer pruning, that kind of stuff.