Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Mrs BR Cant?

Posted by odyssey3 7 noVA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 15:24

I moved and dug up some of my roses and moved them to pots to take with me. The tag on this one got lost, but I am pretty sure it is Mrs BR Cant. Can anyone confirm? The only other possible rose I had of this color would be Gertrude Jekyll, but I don't think that's this one.
 photo photo1_zps1c8a3880.jpg

photo photo2_zpsf7832831.jpg

photo photo21_zps76f5b1c0.jpg

photo photo22_zpsd688d3fd.jpg

photo photo11_zps3fd7f8d1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Mrs BR Cant?

Definitely the right color and the way it is putting out those long canes. I would say yes.

o

Thanks Buford. I think so too. I don't think it is enough like Gertrude Jekyll and that is the only other possibility.

o

I agree with buford. This is the typical look of Mrs. B. R. Cant. Another way to tell is the fragrance. GJ is heavily fragrant and to my nose Mrs. B. R. Cant has very little scent, and certainly not the heavier old rose smell of GJ.

Ingrid

o

Sure looks like Mrs. B.R. Cant to me also. The foliage matches as does the bloom.

o

Thank you Ingrid and Paparoseman. I am considering this confirmed enough to tag. I am so bad with smells--it does have a pretty good smell but definitely not heavy. More like clean citrus to me.

So I am thinking that, like any tea, Mrs Cant will not be happy with much pruning. I wonder when I will have more than that one long cane.

This post was edited by odyssey3 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 23:58

o

My Mrs. BR Cant was huge. This winter, everything above ground died off. But the roots survived and now she is about 3x3 feet of new growth.

What I did when it was time to prune, was take out entire canes rather than shorten canes. It can get too many canes and then gets weighed down with too many blooms and you can get broken canes. I would do that every couple of years.

I have to move mine too, so it's good that is fairly small. I did take some cuttings, just in case.

o

Thanks for the good advice Buford. Mine was only in the ground about 2 years before I had to move her, so I didn't really prune except for dead wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here